Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default WXYZ-TV Report: Squatters Destroy a Home

It is heartbreaking to see this woman, who is trying to re-build her childhood home, to discover the damage done by squatters in her home. The kitchen is stripped, doors are missing and the basement is being flooded with running water.

She called the police, but they did nothing as the squatter’s law is “unclear.” Well, it is time to cure that problem and make the law clear and enforceable for the homeowner.

How is Detroit ever going to attract new residents, when the existing residents have to endure this dysfunction?

Now she is leaving. “I am done with this… you can have this problem”.

God help us.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...e-detroit-home

The laws mentioned in the story clearly state there are fines and jail time involved for squatting.

The Detroit Police don’t care because they get their paycheck and pension just the same, just as all the other city of Detroit workers do. They will offer some lame excuses and forget about it. It’s not their problem.

I remember some time back a story in the news about someone leaving their home unoccupied for a couple weeks and the neighbors just kinda invaded ransacked, trashed the place, and turned it into something of a hangout spot... Which in an of itself is fucked up but what was even worse was the responses the offenders had when questioned about it. The pretty much blamed it on the homeowner for leaving their home unoccupied. Does anyone else remember this story? It was a year or so ago. This stands in the way of progress in neighborhood Detroit. Neighbors are supposed to look out for one another.
    In my own experience. The home across the street was bailed while they were at work. I lived around 94 and Whittier by the girls school. Everything was put on the curb. Nice people too. The guy helped my fix my garage door when he saw me struggling with it. Well. As soon as the bailers left it was like a block party. Everyone was out there rummaging thru their stuff. taking anything and everything.

The Detroit Police should remove squatters ASAP when alerted of them. These not only wreck the house they are staying in, they then often terrorize the other neighbors. Of the two that the Detroit Police arrested from across the street this time last year, one is currently serving time for that squatting [[aka home invasion) and the other was released but is now serving time for an armed robbery that happened after being released. NB - squatters often are drug users
    so they must be handled with some care, as if they were a cross between a self-destructing
    human being and a grenade. The Detroit Police don't get it right every time but they
    certainly do not have an easy job.

There probably should be a meaningful legal distinction made between squatters who just
    happen to be staying in an already abandoned home that is already open to trespass and who
    are fixing the house up, and/or paying taxes for it, and/or comporting themselves amicably when confronted by neighbors or police; versus squatters who are actively tearing someone else's well-kept house apart. The former should be at most misdemeanor trespassing if a neighbor or owner complains. For the latter, home invasion charges and all pertinent additional charges [[in the OPs case, running a chop shop, vandalism etc.) should be levied as warranted.

Squatter's Right's remains not only Michigan Law, its a U.N. international law. There's nothing that homeowner can do to put the squatter[[s) out by calling the police. And you can't force them out, too. They can sue you!

You need a get court order from a city or county or state in order to get squatter out. It's the only way. Otherwise you're stuck and might have to walk away from what it used to be your property.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Squatter's Right's remains not only Michigan Law, its a U.N. international law. There's nothing that homeowner can do to put the squatter[[s) out by calling the police. And you can't force them out, too. They can sue you!

You need a get court order from a city or county or state in order to get squatter out. It's the only way. Otherwise you're stuck and might have to walk away from what it used to be your property.
    Bullshit. You can get them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Danny's right [[for once).

Legally, in the past, there was no way to get squatters out without that court order. I'm not sure if that has changed since the new squatter laws were passed.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Legally, in the past, there was no way to get squatters out without that court order. I'm not sure if that has changed since the new squatter laws were passed.
    Danny's right, to a certain extent, for once. There's a big difference between occupying an abandoned structure or land, and breaking into someone's home, ransacking it, selling off the contents, and vandalizing what's left. If I go to Madrid for two weeks, does that make my home fair game? The problem is the City has become too complacent to this nonsense, and law enforcement takes the path of least resistance. If the law protects me from doing it anywhere, any time, maybe I'll head over to Danny's and see what's in the fridge for breakfast. I feel bad for the woman. She wanted to fight the good fight and ended up losing, miserably. Yet another good person "abandons" Detroit.

and also wrong...
    New Laws:
    HB 5069/PA 223 amends the revised judicature act to allow a landlord to use force [[but not including assault) and self-help when recovering possession of premises from a person who came into possession by trespass [[squatting.)

HB 5070/PA224 makes squatting in a single family house or a duplex a misdemeanor for the first offense, with a $5,000 maximum fine and 180 days maximum sentence; and a felony for second and subsequent offenses, with a $10,000 maximum file and a 2 year maximum sentence.

HB 5071/PA225 identifies the felony for second and subsequent squatting offenses as a class G felony with a 2 year maximum sentence.

It's a short-sighted cannibalistic mentality fueling this kind of behavior and mentality. No room for compassion. You left home too long? Your house invaded, robbed and or squatted. Get set out in the street? You chump! We coming to shop FREE thru your stuff. Then someone comes and steals the thieves stuff from them!! W-T-FRIDGE!! NO SHAME IN THEIR GAME! You can't go on a vacation anymore?

What can change this sorta of thinking? But I refuse to live in such a reprobate area[[s). Just will not do it. I feel for the woman's who house was destroyed. Sad, and I can see why she's thrown up her hands and stepped-off on the whole thing. So now we have another abandoned house and more squalor in the D.

I recall this whole squatting thing as promoted by an activist, often on the news, was not suppose to hurt anyone -- but occupy homes taken by banks. Hmmn, some are not having such a noble approach. Just more thieving and criminal behaviors - justified.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Which in an of itself is fucked up but what was even worse was the responses the offenders had when questioned about it. The pretty much blamed it on the homeowner for leaving their home unoccupied. Does anyone else remember this story? It was a year or so ago. This stands in the way of progress in neighborhood Detroit. Neighbors are supposed to look out for one another.

In my own experience. The home across the street was bailed while they were at work. I lived around 94 and Whittier by the girls school. Everything was put on the curb. Nice people too. The guy helped my fix my garage door when he saw me struggling with it. Well. As soon as the bailers left it was like a block party. Everyone was out there rummaging thru their stuff. taking anything and everything.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-14 at 10:33 AM.

Yeah I have a friend who lives in a 'squatter' prone neighborhood. One of the squatters is a professional about it. Going from house to house with matter of fact impunity. It's the same scene, he will do some work thus claiming investment in property thwarting police efforts to get him out, then call in the stripping crew when finally put out.

Like 'I cannot have, so you cannot have it either chump' thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    The Detroit Police should remove squatters ASAP when alerted of them. These not only wreck the house they are staying in, they then often terrorize the other neighbors.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-14 at 09:45 AM.

Sure there are. Best bet is don't leave your home unoccupied for 2 weeks unless you have a monitored alarm that will actually be responded to.

Invite about 50 friends over for a party. It's still your house.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I remember some time back a story in the news about someone leaving their home unoccupied for a couple weeks and the neighbors just kinda invaded ransacked, trashed the place, and turned it into something of a hangout spot... Which in an of itself is fucked up but what was even worse was the responses the offenders had when questioned about it. The pretty much blamed it on the homeowner for leaving their home unoccupied. Does anyone else remember this story? It was a year or so ago.
    I think they even ate their turkey for Thanksgiving and complained about the quality or something like that. It was pretty messed up.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novack View Post
    I think they even ate their turkey for Thanksgiving and complained about the quality or something like that. It was pretty messed up.
    http://youtu.be/xZ7JOtNGjbU

Ehh... it IS not easy. I've had family formerly in the renting scene who had to go strapping [[CDL) just to collect rents, evicting squatters etc. Check out a few front line folks dealing with squatting, destruction, scrapping and rent collecting on a daily bases. Ex: Shea Wood youtubes:

An evicted Tenant Fire bombed this place, THE SHEA SHOW

More fun for the whole family

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-14 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ehh... it IS not easy. I've had family formerly in the renting scene who had to go strapping [[CDL) just to collect rents, evicting squatters etc. Check out a few front line folks dealing with squatting, destruction, scrapping and rent collecting on a daily bases. Ex: Shea Wood youtubes:

An evicted Tenant Fire bombed this place, THE SHEA SHOW

More fun for the whole family
    depends where I guess.

^^^ Yep, in some areas the defiance is hard to cut thru -- and justification for such is very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    and also wrong...
    New Laws:
    HB 5069/PA 223 amends the revised judicature act to allow a landlord to use force [[but not including assault) and self-help when recovering possession of premises from a person who came into possession by trespass [[squatting.)
    Yes, read this when the law was changed. You cannot physically remove them, but it sounds like if they are out of the house you can throw their stuff out, lock them out, whatever.

You should also be protected if you "break in" to your own home and make a nuisance of yourself until they decide to leave. But I forsee that approach snowballing very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    There probably should be a meaningful legal distinction made between squatters who just
    happen to be staying in an already abandoned home that is already open to trespass and who
    are fixing the house up, and/or paying taxes for it, and/or comporting themselves amicably when confronted by neighbors or police; versus squatters who are actively tearing someone else's well-kept house apart. The former should be at most misdemeanor trespassing if a neighbor or owner complains. For the latter, home invasion charges and all pertinent additional charges [[in the OPs case, running a chop shop, vandalism etc.) should be levied as warranted.
    Ah, we determine the penalty based on what someone thinks.

Steal bread to feed your kids, OK.

Steal bread to sell to feed your kids, OK.

Steal bread to buy a car to get a job to feed your kids, OK.

Steal bread to buy a car to get a job to pay taxes to feed children of others, OK.

Squat in well-tended house while owner vacation visiting sick relative in New York, to house your kids....? No.

Why do we have social programs to provide housing if all you need to do is have pure intents and steal it?

Now if you want to have laws relating to untended properties, we can have a conversation. Squatting -- unless untended rule is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Yes, read this when the law was changed. You cannot physically remove them, but it sounds like if they are out of the house you can throw their stuff out, lock them out, whatever.

You should also be protected if you "break in" to your own home and make a nuisance of yourself until they decide to leave. But I forsee that approach snowballing very quickly.
    To be fair, the squatters could receive a $10k fine...

Yeah in MY mind this called a breaking and entering. Only difference is that the robber 'stays', sets up shop, and then intimidates the rightful owner when they return. Then additionally steal and scrap the house when the law and TV reporters start to close in. UTTER MADNESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Squat in well-tended house while owner vacation visiting sick relative in New York, to house your kids....? No.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-14 at 03:10 PM.

How's about a $10.00 fine relative to the ability to collect it or throw the toads out!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    To be fair, the squatters could receive a $10k fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    How's about a $10.00 fine relative to the ability to collect it or throw the toads out!
    More of my snide humor I'm afraid. I think it's ridiculous that law enforcement thinks levying a stiff fine on homeless people is some kind of deterrent or solution. I can't even phantom returning home and finding this going on in my house.

I can't even phantom returning home and finding this going on in my house.
    I think you mean "can't even fathom".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast