Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stasu, you have some misunderstandings about retail in NY. First, there are no "tax free malls" in New Jersey. They all charge the same sales taxes throughout the state. However, clothing is not subject to sales tax [[with a few exceptions). In response, NY State exempted items of clothing valued at up to $110. While a lot of people do travel to NJ to shop, most NYers don't do it very regularly. Those that do, do it either for housewares/home goods that are less regularly available in NY stores, or they shop at outlet centers for clothes, which sell at way lower prices than NYC stores regardless of taxes.

Travelling to malls in suburban NY & NJ is usually done by shuttle bus [[for light shopping) or by renting a car [[when you're looking to buy a lot). Public transit is available, but requires multiple transfers and is far from convenient. Cabs are not a good option because your cab would not be waiting for you when you get done shopping [[plus it would be very expensive; a trip from Midtown Manhattan to Paramus Park Mall, in good traffic would probably be $45+ one way). The shuttles you can take [[I have taken them to Woodbury Commons Outlet Mall) are private, express, and charge I think $20 or $25 one way [[that's for Woodbury).

Most NYers shop in NYC for nearly all their goods; most people visiting the suburban malls come via car.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Stasu, you have some misunderstandings about retail in NY. First, there are no "tax free malls" in New Jersey. They all charge the same sales taxes throughout the state. However, clothing is not subject to sales tax [[with a few exceptions). In response, NY State exempted items of clothing valued at up to $110. While a lot of people do travel to NJ to shop, most NYers don't do it very regularly. Those that do, do it either for housewares/home goods that are less regularly available in NY stores, or they shop at outlet centers for clothes, which sell at way lower prices than NYC stores regardless of taxes.

Travelling to malls in suburban NY & NJ is usually done by shuttle bus [[for light shopping) or by renting a car [[when you're looking to buy a lot). Public transit is available, but requires multiple transfers and is far from convenient. Cabs are not a good option because your cab would not be waiting for you when you get done shopping [[plus it would be very expensive; a trip from Midtown Manhattan to Paramus Park Mall, in good traffic would probably be $45+ one way). The shuttles you can take [[I have taken them to Woodbury Commons Outlet Mall) are private, express, and charge I think $20 or $25 one way [[that's for Woodbury).

Most NYers shop in NYC for nearly all their goods; most people visiting the suburban malls come via car.

Thanks for the info. I knew thst it was something about the taxes on clothes that are sold at stores inside the Jersey City Mall. Many people used DDOT or DSR to go downtown to shop. Usually for light items such as clothing. Detroiters usually used their automobiles or order a delivery truck for bigger items. Almost every community had a retail district with a huge parking lot. Those things are gone. As I had said on another topic I will continue to shop in the suburbs for my housewares, clothing, and other basic need items for Detroit is a basic needs and housewares desert

The

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I knew thst it was something about the taxes on clothes that are sold at stores inside the Jersey City Mall. Many people used DDOT or DSR to go downtown to shop. Usually for light items such as clothing. Detroiters usually used their automobiles or order a delivery truck for bigger items. Almost every community had a retail district with a huge parking lot. Those things are gone. As I had said on another topic I will continue to shop in the suburbs for my housewares, clothing, and other basic need items for Detroit is a basic needs and housewares desert

The
    That was also back when the Department Stores ran fleets of trucks to deliver merchandise. Those days are long gone! Can't really compare the Detroit of 35-40 years ago with the New York of today. Lots of things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That was also back when the Department Stores ran fleets of trucks to deliver merchandise. Those days are long gone! Can't really compare the Detroit of 35-40 years ago with the New York of today. Lots of things have changed.
    Agreed. I would like to know the master plan for downtown midtown Detroit as far as retail is concern. I am beginning to have second thoughts about the M1 project. Maybe it would be more economical feasible to have rapid transit

I want to see downtown retail thrive, but it will be "destination" retail: specialty shops, and things catering to affluent downtown residents, visitors, and daytime professionals. "Everyday" shopping, for home goods, general groceries, less expensive clothing, etc, are not a fit for downtown. Hopefully, as the "core outward" expansion of revitalized residential areas proceeds, the outlying neighborhoods will again have substantial retail, both suburban-style shopping centers and smaller, neighborhood shops.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Agreed. I would like to know the master plan for downtown midtown Detroit as far as retail is concern. I am beginning to have second thoughts about the M1 project. Maybe it would be more economical feasible to have rapid transit
    Master plans aren't worth a whole lot in my opinion. Why? Because master plans are about what people want other people to do. In reality, opening businesses is about what the individual entrepreneur thinks they can do to make money. I'm not too concerned about the plight of retail in the city. Shops of all kinds will follow the people. When there are more residents and foot traffic in a given location, someone will seek to sell their stuff there. Zoning, taxes, and regulation affect what goes where, but mostly things shake out into an eclectic mix, despite what anyone plans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2