Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    yes racism is alive and well on this forum, Non detroit people or detroit ex pats, Congratulate your selves You escaped. So proud you left. I mean that... you left like little weasels
    I left Detroit in November 1961 to go into the Army and serve my country. I hid out from the 1967 riot by taking an all-expenses paid trip to sunny Southeast Asia. Does that make me a weasel?

y
    Detroit is dealing quite well with race sex ordination .religious issues. I exalt in how the city has emerged as a true melting pot.
    Eh, Detroit is not exactly known for being a gay friendly town, at all. The religious influence from conservative black churches is too great.

And Detroit is the furthest thing from a melting pot. 90% of Detroit is almost entirely one race, the remaining piece is mostly Mexican and there are a few scattered semi affluent patches with a middling degree of diversity.

If you want ethnic diversity, somewhere like Novi or Troy would be the best option. Visible gay community probably Woodward corridor in South Oakland.

Sumas, by your own admission you moved your young family out of Detroit to Grosse Pointe so that your children wouldn't have to go to school with Black children. Or was there another reason why you rented a house in Grosse Pointe Park during those years. Talk about being weasels- if you had gotten a free house in Grosse Pointe you would be living there still.

Unless someone has a more recent and better studied understanding of these proportions,
    about 50% of whites would welcome a black neighbor. About 80% of blacks would welcome
    a white neighbor. A majority of either group would welcome a non-black non-white neighbor.
    In Detroit and in the Detroit metro GENERALLY, owner-occupant neighbors of any kind are very
    welcome. Nobody in either majority area [[black majority/white majority) is fond of having an
    empty house next to them for an extended amount of time. This is of course a generalization
    and certainly a few neighbors prefer and deserve an empty house next door so do get to know your neighbors before buying. Let them know what pets you have.

@sumas....why are you filled with so much distain towards people who move away from Detroit?
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; November-25-14 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There's also the fact that Detroit essentially has a mostly black police force serving a mostly black city...

This wasn't hardly the case when the 1967 riots happened.
    Yes, it was a mostly white city with a mostly white police force. Racial inequality was also more pronounced with the overt restriction of blacks being able to move into certain neighborhoods/suburbs.

Yet, despite Detroit's current majority black residents, I still see a great number of whites both in the police force and fire department. I would think with 80+% black residents, the police force would be close to 80+% black, but as of the year 2000 it was only 63%. 14 years later, I'm not how much that's changed, but it doesn't seem like it's any wider of a majority. It's not like a 'black police force' so much as is it a police force that happens to have more blacks than other cities, if that makes sense.

So even with a good third of the police force made up of whites, Detroit residents still seem to have a pretty good relationship with them.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-25-14 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Sumas, by your own admission you moved your young family out of Detroit to Grosse Pointe so that your children wouldn't have to go to school with Black children. Or was there another reason why you rented a house in Grosse Pointe Park during those years. Talk about being weasels- if you had gotten a free house in Grosse Pointe you would be living there still.
    I am actually quite stunned at that comment. My sons required and deserved an excellent education.To imply I did not want my kids to school with black children is plain disgusting. I have been honest on this forum Detroit schools were and still are lacking.My kids went to Chrysler School, Lafayette Park for early ed. The black principal told me to look to private schools or move. I took her advice.

It appears there were protesters blocking I-75 and Mack per this article:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/protesters-...nue-in-detroit

I also listened to the DPD feed [[via radioreference) between 7:30 and 8:00 tonight. There were also protesters somewhere on Grand River and also on Gratiot, with the latter group refusing to clear the intersection.

I have no problem with peaceful protests or demonstrations, but I don't see the point in blocking traffic, especially on an expressway with a 55 mph speed limit. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

That said, there was one group that wasn't blocking traffic or causing trouble. I didn't catch where it was, though. DPD dispatch stated to leave them alone so long as they continued to stay out of trouble.
    Last edited by 248lurker; November-25-14 at 10:34 PM.

Racism at least in this state seems to be crumbling. One only has to look at who we sent to the white house twice and who currently is the mayor of Detroit, on a write-in campaign no less. Just the facts ma'am.

yes racism is alive and well on this forum, Non detroit people or detroit ex pats, Congratulate your selves You escaped. So proud you left. I mean that... you left like little weasels
    Detroit is dealing quite well with race sex ordination .religious issues. I exalt in how the city has emerged as a true melting pot.

I am actually quite stunned at that comment. My sons required and deserved an excellent education.To imply I did not want my kids to school with black children is plain disgusting. I have been honest on this forum Detroit schools were and still are lacking.My kids went to Chrysler School, Lafayette Park for early ed. The black principal told me to look to private schools or move. I took her advice.
    So you're saying that others [[Not you) left Detroit because they are racist weasels, but your leaving was strictly for the betterment of your children and not because you're a racist weasel? I get it! It's a bit of a presumptuous double standard, but I get it.

We moved to Northville by the way. Excellent school system, GP was later as I needed to be close to my folks in EEV to help out, My eldest should have married a beautiful black woman, a Rhodes scholar, an accomplished artist . Nope he married a trust fund white GP bitch. Now divorced thank God.

So let me get this straight...you left Detroit because Detroit schools were inferior and it's okay. I left Detroit because my kids were not safe in Detroit and I'm a weasel? Could you explain your logic?

Quote Originally Posted by 248lurker View Post
    It appears there were protesters blocking I-75 and Mack per this article:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/protesters-...nue-in-detroit

I also listened to the DPD feed [[via radioreference) between 7:30 and 8:00 tonight. There were also protesters somewhere on Grand River and also on Gratiot, with the latter group refusing to clear the intersection.

I have no problem with peaceful protests or demonstrations, but I don't see the point in blocking traffic, especially on an expressway with a 55 mph speed limit. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

That said, there was one group that wasn't blocking traffic or causing trouble. I didn't catch where it was, though. DPD dispatch stated to leave them alone so long as they continued to stay out of trouble.
    Yea news out of Minneapolis is that a driver ran over some protesters who were clearly standing in the middle of the road. No videos show what happens beforehand, but it doesn't seem like the guy came out of nowhere and 'plowed' into this crowd. I'm more inclined to believe people just refused to get out of the way when the driver tried to get through. While it sucks that there was an injury, protesters ought to realize that when they protest in the street, they're not protected by any laws unless the police specifically block off that street. Except of course, hit and run. But I'm sure that when people swarm your car like as in the video, drivers can justify it as fearing for their safety.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoern...polis?bffbnews
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-25-14 at 10:55 PM.

DetroitBoy Guest

Oh my this is terrible. Time out everyone.

Now this is way too getting out of hand. Let's see what happens if they somehow make it to 12th and Clairmount. Will it be 1967 all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    So you're saying that others [[Not you) left Detroit because they are racist weasels, but your leaving was strictly for the betterment of your children and not because you're a racist weasel? I get it! It's a bit of a presumptuous double standard, but I get it.
    Such strange comments. I live in Detroit by choice. My neighbors and area kids delightful. Participate as we can in community betterment. Which neighbor should I extoll, Plenty of gay folk too. Should I mention color in all this or would it suffice to say just great neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I left Detroit in November 1961 to go into the Army and serve my country. I hid out from the 1967 riot by taking an all-expenses paid trip to sunny Southeast Asia. Does that make me a weasel?
    No, Thank you for your service to our country.

Such strange comments. I live in Detroit by choice. My neighbors and area kids delightful. Participate as we can in community betterment. Which neighbor should I extoll, Plenty of gay folk too. Should I mention color in all this or would it suffice to say just great neighbors.
    You're missing the point.

You said:

Non detroit people or detroit ex pats, Congratulate your selves You escaped. So proud you left. I mean that... you left like little weasels...
    Yet, earlier in the thread, you bragged about leaving Detroit yourself because your son required and deserved an excellent education.

So what folks want to know is why it was ok for you to leave Detroit so your children could receive an excellent education, but you call the other folks who left Detroit so their children could also receive an excellent education "little weasels."
    Last edited by 313WX; November-25-14 at 11:19 PM.

We moved to Northville by the way. Excellent school system, GP was later as I needed to be close to my folks in EEV to help out, My eldest should have married a beautiful black woman, a Rhodes scholar, an accomplished artist . Nope he married a trust fund white GP bitch. Now divorced thank God.
    This has got to be the most racist post I have read since I joined DetroitYes a few months ago. I hope you are able find a way to cleanse yourself of some of the hatred you are spewing in this post.
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; November-25-14 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    The full evidence was laid out in a court of law - both on the prosecution and the defense side. Based on a preponderance of all the evidence [[which no one outside that court knows) - a mutual decision was made by 12 civilian peers. That decision stands. I may not agree with the decision but if I don't respect the process, anarchy ensues.
    Let's just be clear that this isn't true. A grand jury is nothing like a court of law. all the evidence does not have to be presented, and the prosecutor controls what evidence is shown, there is no defense cross-examination, or really any defense at all.. Nor is the standard for prosecution a preponderance of the evidence; it is actually the lower standard of probable cause. Normally grand juries are basically just rubber stamps for the prosecutor.

In this case, in a massive deviation from standard practice, the prosecutor claims to have presented all the available evidence to the grand jury, but we don't actually have any way to know if that is true, and in any case this approach is not the approach a prosecutor who wanted to get an indictment would take, which is why it is so unusual.

So I think people who want to complain about the process have some justification.
    Last edited by mwilbert; November-25-14 at 11:55 PM.

Anyhow, I for one am glad that these protests are not catching on here in Michigan and especially glad to not hear of any violence or rioting. In Ferguson dozens of buildings have been burned, acts violence commited against officers and civilians and perhaps worst of all I just read that the church of Michael Brown's father has been torched in the aftermath. These violent and senseless actions have nothing to do with improving the relationship between the police and the community and everything to do with opportunists just looking for a reason to cause problems and/or get attention.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-25-14 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    This has got to be the most racist post I have read since I joined DetroitYes a few months ago. I hope you you find a way to cleanse yourself of some of the hatred you are spewing here.
    Honestly. She needs to apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You're missing the point.

You said:

Yet, earlier in the thread, you bragged about leaving Detroit yourself because your son required and deserved an excellent education.

So what folks want to know is why it was ok for you to leave Detroit so your children could receive an excellent education, but you call the other folks who left Detroit so their children could also receive an excellent education "little weasels."
    Easy answer, didn't want to leave. Never gave up on investment of time in the city. Now we are home again. Do tutoring as do other neighbors. Schools suck but our area kids don't need to fail they needl to succeed. Some families do not have choices or mobility. Does not mean they have no value.

Easy answer, didn't want to leave. Never gave up on investment of time in the city. Now we are home again. Do tutoring as do other neighbors. Schools suck but our area kids don't need to fail they needl to succeed. Some families do not have choices or mobility. Does not mean they have no value.
    Understood.

It just didn't seem right to call others out of their name because they realize how much Detroit's schools suck and were mobile enough to give their children better outside the city.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Let's just be clear that this isn't true. A grand jury is nothing like a court of law. all the evidence does not have to be presented, and the prosecutor controls what evidence is shown, there is no defense cross-examination, or really any defense at all.. Nor is the standard for prosecution a preponderance of the evidence; it is actually the lower standard of probable cause. Normally grand juries are basically just rubber stamps for the prosecutor.

In this case, in a massive deviation from standard practice, the prosecutor claims to have presented all the available evidence to the grand jury, but we don't actually have any way to know if that is true, and in any case this approach is not the approach a prosecutor who wanted to get an indictment would take, which is why it is so unusual.

So I think people who want to complain about the process have some justification.

Great explanation, mwilbert!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast