Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    This tells me its a waste of our time!

You do not have permission to add comments.
    Possibly that was directed at me. Fine. I'll comment if I want. The stories are the real memories, I love stories and memories of things past. I rejoice in things new and different. Lists suck and I'll stick to my opinion

What I find funny is that people didn't have this big of a problem with the Former Michigan Restaurants website [[that had a DYes thread with hundreds of posts) and Water Winter Wonderland website, yet the OP's site is a cardinal sin...

But I digress. To each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    A Sanders sign imprint can still be seen on the building at the SW corner of Gratiot and Pfent.

I think it closed sometime around the late 1980s/early 1990s?
    It was in the early 90s that the store closed. It had a fire a few years ago but it appears the building has been restored and secured.

The other question the Sander's list brings up is Houston Avenue. Just when and why did Houston Avenue become Houston-Whittier?

Added a new list for Source Club locations.

And apologies for any addresses on here that I didn't add. Plus, chains that were pretty much confined to just one local area only will not be included.

Let's synthesize here: Yeah, remembering places like Great Scott, Foodland, Dairy Mart, A &P, Perry, Revco, Arbor, Kregse, the Farmer Jacks [[think there was one in Hamtramck and is the one on Chene in Indian Village?), etc. and the mere mention of such is good, but it's even better to elaborate on what each location meant to you, personally. For me, my Grandmother was a loyal long-time employee of the Kresge chain while they were still around. I still remember the dirty floors at the Cunningham Drugs near Grand River and Fenkell and the horrible chalky [['Bubblegum"? no.) pink medicine I had to take when I was sick.
    Personally, I miss Farmer Jack's. They treated me well, and the Cincinnati-based alternative now has the market [[no pun intended) cornered, and believe me, I got quite the love-hate thing going on with them. Heck, they got two locations right around Outer Drive and Michigan Ave. I've been to some really good grocery stores in my travels [[Winn Dixie in Louisville on 4th St. was cool, until it closed. Woodman's in Madison is really awesome-reminds me of the old A & P, I used to enjoy going to. Big Y, Giant Eagle, Giant, the Jewel-Osco in Bloomington was one saving grace for that town, though I didn't see any cop car chases crashing through there, Hannefords, Star/Shaws-they built one spanning an express way in Snooton, I mean, Newton, MA, and by far, Wegman's in Ithaca or Rochester stands out as a good set-up.-just had to purge all of that out there, because given what I got here, I wish I had an official Rick Sanchez "Portal Gun", because I'd go to those in an instant to those spots to do my shopping).
    Last edited by G-DDT; December-08-14 at 03:08 PM.

According to this link, there was apparently another Farmer JAck at 6561 Gratiot Avenue...

http://law.justia.com/cases/michigan...2/65976-3.html

I found this ad in the Dec. 11, 1975 Detroit Free Press in the classified section called "The Magic Tree of Gifts". Here are a lot of obscure shops and some familiar ones, too, that you may recognize:

Name:  Tree of Gifts - Detroit_Free_Press_Thu__Dec_11__1975_.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  195.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    I found this ad in the Dec. 11, 1975 Detroit Free Press in the classified section called "The Magic Tree of Gifts". Here are a lot of obscure shops and some familiar ones, too, that you may recognize:

Wow, that's some promotion. It certainly covers the metro area, from Fenton to Clinton Twp to Wyandotte. Oh, and the Ramada Inn in Manistique!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    A Sanders sign imprint can still be seen on the building at the SW corner of Gratiot and Pfent.

I think it closed sometime around the late 1980s/early 1990s?
    Do you also remember a Sanders on west side of Gratiot SOUTH of McNichols?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2