Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    All the vandalizations can be traced to a local graffiti painter by the name Sintex. He's having a fit that all these murals are done by out-of-towners.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/1...ly-in-detroit/
    As for Mr. Sintex, I am guessing that his creations are about to learn what a no fly zone is about.

It is as if he is inviting attack on his work. Maybe he is hoping for the Heidelberg fires kind of press but where he is the bad guy, the arsonist.

Personally ponder some things. I love Heidelberg but was not a big fan of the "murals" in Eastern Market. I really can't explain it. They certainly have a right to exist however without being intentionally defaced.

I think the layers of graffiti are the only thing holding up most of the railroad overpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I think the layers of graffiti are the only thing holding up most of the railroad overpasses.
    That reminded me of the startup that is making jewelry out of layered graffiti paint chips. It's beautiful work.

Jewelry business has a mission to empower women

Rebel Nell

Talk about making lemonade from lemons!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Personally ponder some things. I love Heidelberg but was not a big fan of the "murals" in Eastern Market. I really can't explain it. They certainly have a right to exist however without being intentionally defaced.
    I like the trade offs on most of what is said [[except for those who deem murals or most graffiti as wrong-if it isn't hurting a private business or landmark, it's valid). I was never a big fan of gang tags or ego-promoting graffiti, but after a while [[and with more research into the history of graffiti and seeing films like "Wild Style") I warmed up to the latter. To be honest [[scoff all you wish on this opinion of mine), I feel uncomfortable in towns that are too sterile or lack flyers for events and shows [[Rochester, MN may support the arts-in fact, the whole Mayo clinic is an art gallery-but it is dead as far as music scene/graffiti or urban expression.). Also, I actually like a little culture jamming now and again [[even the most basic childish stuff that defaces a stupid advertizement in a bus kiosk, for example, is the type of thing that makes the Corporate PR b#stards throw up their hands and say "we can't do anything with Detroit" and makes them stop plaguing us with the real sight pollution-remember, when we were once warned in school about living in a sight-polluted billboard world looking like the back of the cover to Zappa's "Absolutely Free"?-Stop it now, I say, or it'll become like "Minority Report" with holograms in your face, and whatnot.)
    Yeah, murals sadly are ephemeral [[Cambridge and Ann Arbor are college towns that have their own "designated" graffiti alleys that get painted over and over and over...-glad, I photographed the paste-ups and murals I did see breeze through them). Sintex [[if that is, who is, indeed, behind the defacement) can protest but is going about it the wrong way. I agree with, Sumas, the Eastern Market stuff ain't my style. It seems like Californian "huge hotdog" splatter art that reflects a lot of where independent cartooning has gotten [[the stuff compiled in graphic novels that has provocative style with no genuinely subversive recollection of "which way is up"). Detroit just seems more wild, urban, lugwrench-to-the-head dadaist with more soul. Yet, I'm not going to be a purist as to where any of it is coming from-heck! one of the main contributors was a kid from here I used to hang out with, moved to California, blew up big, and came back to offer visuals I deem closer to the Detroit vision; I'd like to see more from him. Oops, did I clog the thread with another huge turd, again? I guess I did.
    Last edited by G-DDT; November-28-14 at 03:36 PM.

Detroit just seems more wild, urban, lugwrench-to-the-head dadaist with more soul.
    Nicely put.

dude has a temper problem. Didnt he draw down on someone in Pontiac for going over a wall he done? I read something it in the paper. Doesn't necessarily mean he did the Eastern Market though. Seems to me if it was him that he would want revok and co to know hes the one that did it. When you go over someone you're supposed to leave a name. This is just the way, not doing so is looked down upon. Could have been anyone. I dont particularly care for the market murals either.

Willi Guest

I liked the simple painting images better

And that is somewhat Dada in it's own way.

As a follow-up, I should add I never liked the notion of competitiveness in the arts. I especially dislike awards shows. Just because something had a draw and people were hyped into herding towards it to check it out, does not make it golden or time-enduring [[just see all the items congesting thrift stores and used Music places-"Jerry Maguire" just doesn't hold up to "To Kill a Mocking Bird" or even the lesser known "Matewan", and give me Funkadelic over REM anyday.).

Before anyone jumps on my opinion about "Congestive Day-Glo Californian Splatter Art", I don't feel any of it is even half as hokey [[and I mean no disrespect to any who participated in such a project) as taking pre-fab fiberglass, cartoonish cars and having folks decorate them like Easter Eggs. That kind of stuff is okay with pigs in Cincinnati, brains in Bloomington, IN [[because of the Psychiatric/Sex curriculum at U of I), for some reason Mammoths in Fort Wayne, Gallopalooza in Louisville [[guess the theme on that one), or even cats in Dearborn, but I'd rather see folks take actually cars, give them the treatment and display them around town [[like the fire one in Fourth street). Make them industrial, musical, political-heck! get that Tiger Limo from the place on Telegraph to be on display at Comerica Park. I think we are far too original and resourceful to be regimented to a contrived, pre-designed template.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    And that is somewhat Dada in it's own way.

As a follow-up, I should add I never liked the notion of competitiveness in the arts. I especially dislike awards shows. Just because something had a draw and people were hyped into herding towards it to check it out, does not make it golden or time-enduring [[just see all the items congesting thrift stores and used Music places-"Jerry Maguire" just doesn't hold up to "To Kill a Mocking Bird" or even the lesser known "Matewan", and give me Funkadelic over REM anyday.).

Before anyone jumps on my opinion about "Congestive Day-Glo Californian Splatter Art", I don't feel any of it is even half as hokey [[and I mean no disrespect to any who participated in such a project) as taking pre-fab fiberglass, cartoonish cars and having folks decorate them like Easter Eggs. That kind of stuff is okay with pigs in Cincinnati, brains in Bloomington, IN [[because of the Psychiatric/Sex curriculum at U of I), for some reason Mammoths in Fort Wayne, Gallopalooza in Louisville [[guess the theme on that one), or even cats in Dearborn, but I'd rather see folks take actually cars, give them the treatment and display them around town [[like the fire one in Fourth street). Make them industrial, musical, political-heck! get that Tiger Limo from the place on Telegraph to be on display at Comerica Park. I think we are far too original and resourceful to be regimented to a contrived, pre-designed template.
    Inner-resting.

That defacer is a nut-job dada or no though. Narcissism on that level is frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    That defacer is a nut-job dada or no though.
    Oooo, ya' got me wrong there. The "somewhat Dada" is what I was attaching to the Iconic Eastern Market bird, not the defacer. I don't approve of their action. Try to understand. Try to understand. Try try try to understand-he ain't a magic man.

G-ddt don't get defensive there really ARE people on the forum that are open to others opinions. Heck I put an alarm system in our house after some nut job sent mail to Sumas to my house. Stupid move, just some dolt.

Dialogue is great, its how our a society can grow,

I love art that I find witty or politically appealing. I do agree that juried art shows seem trite, Some are just fun though, The Dirty Show hilarious, Once was enough for us. No offense ever taken but a bunch of boobs and penises,,, naked models etc were a great one time deal. Just did not find it very inspiring,

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Oooo, ya' got me wrong there. The "somewhat Dada" is what I was attaching to the Iconic Eastern Market bird, not the defacer. I don't approve of their action. Try to understand. Try to understand. Try try try to understand-he ain't a magic man.
    Sorry, that big bird is iconic for sure.
    But you're just a soul whose intentions are good, Oh Lord, Please don't let you be misunderstood!

Thanx Eric.

'S cool.
    Ah, but now, you opened a greater intricacy I carelessly glazed over. I don't mind a set format or theme to a show. There was a good one at the ArtSpace over twelve years ago, where artists had to send in a decorated box fitting certain dimensions. I think Don Thibodeaux had a rather impressively large Amazonian cockroach kept alive in the mesh enclosure of his entry. Also, the Jaws tribute art show in L.A. [[aptly entitled "Smile You Son of a B*tch") seemed rather impressive.

But you're just a soul whose intentions are good, Oh Lord, Please don't let you be misunderstood!
    Ooo better song by better artist. No lie. Two points for the Canadian.

Jaws fans are usually more innocent to the wiles of the world than Jazz fans. Also, does "Smile You Son of a B*tch refer to a botch or a butch?

Somebody please bring this thread on track, this is becoming intolerable.

Jaws fans are usually more innocent to the wiles of the world than Jazz fans. Also, does "Smile You Son of a B*tch refer to a botch or a butch?
    "batch", I think....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "batch", I think....
    The english languish is suite!

Hey! I write gooder than most peoples.

Okay-okay. Was this only confined to the area reported? Was there vandalization found in other parts of town [[Grand River ? or more around the Brush/Baltimore areas? or around Mexican Town?)?

Awesome...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2