Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I think whats happening is a changing of scenes. Lower income people moving out of Detroit continually, and higher class citizens moving back into areas around midtown and downtown Detroit. Downtown Detroit was packed on New Year's Eve. Now I know not eveyone who was in the city that night lives there, but you catch my drift.

I have been a resident of Huntington Woods for the past almost 6 years. I have not witnessed any major decline in this portion of the Woodward corridor. The only real decline that I have witnessed is the disinvestment at Northwood Shopping Center. However, after talking to some of the tenants, they are unsure of Beaumont's [[their landlord) plans with the center and do not want to invest money in their stores if their leases are not renewed. I can think of more higher income demographic establishments that have opened along Woodward in the past few years versus closed [[Vinsetta Garage, Ulta, Petsmart, Crispelli's, Starbucks, LA Fitness Signature, Pei Wei, Olga's, The Big Salad, Kalamata, Scott Shruptrine, Bistro Joe's, fancy Birmingham Walgreen's).

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerguy48025 View Post
    I am concerned about the 13 Mile & Woodward vicinity, and feel that it has seen much better days. It was recently brought to my attention that the church at Normandy & Woodward is running a homeless shelter out of there on a regular basis. One of the homeless panhandlers singled me out and bothered me so badly at the Potbelly that I landed up having to call the police to report it. Also, many of the old junky apartments on 13 Mile Rd around Greenfield/Woodward/Coolidge area are now section 8 accommodations. Also, it appears that Beaumont isn't going to be doing much of anything with the dumpy Northwood Shopping Center anytime soon. The nearby City of Southfield is in decline and will only get worse. I live in the 14 Mile & Greenfield vicinity and we are having problems over here with the rif raf coming in and casing the neighborhood on a regular basis.

A homeless shelter? A panhandler? You don't say! Better move to 42 Mile Road before more of those dang stinking Poors show up! I mean, you wouldn't want one of them looking at you funny or walking through, er, casing your neighborhood.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; January-05-15 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerguy48025 View Post
    I am concerned about the 13 Mile & Woodward vicinity, and feel that it has seen much better days. It was recently brought to my attention that the church at Normandy & Woodward is running a homeless shelter out of there on a regular basis. One of the homeless panhandlers singled me out and bothered me so badly at the Potbelly that I landed up having to call the police to report it. Also, many of the old junky apartments on 13 Mile Rd around Greenfield/Woodward/Coolidge area are now section 8 accommodations. Also, it appears that Beaumont isn't going to be doing much of anything with the dumpy Northwood Shopping Center anytime soon. The nearby City of Southfield is in decline and will only get worse. I live in the 14 Mile & Greenfield vicinity and we are having problems over here with the rif raf coming in and casing the neighborhood on a regular basis. There are some nice new houses being built around here, but the majority of the housing stock is becoming quite dated and irrelevant for today's standards. I too enjoy the energy and nostalgia of Woodward Ave in the summer, but would like to see better business installations other than just a new subway or burger king. The roads around here aren't the greatest, they're not bad but they're not good either. I have not reached the point of worrying, but I am becoming very concerned! We will see what the future brings?????
    I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. I've been living in the area since 1969. Seems pretty much the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. I've been living in the area since 1969. Seems pretty much the same to me.

Funniest post of 2015 so far. You stuck a short needle in that there balloon .

So much hyperbole and unnecessary worry.

Its a very busy thoroughfare. Tear-down and housing reconstruction is at an all-time high in Royal Oak now, and Birmingham is near the same.

We live in this area and nothing bothers me at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3