Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I agree. You do not see the level panhandlers and soliciting in that area as much as you do in the D. Nope. Those gas stations are not going to allow folks hanging out at their gas stations and restaurant. A few calls and the local police or Oakland county folks arrive and they move along.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    "A ton of panhandlers" is a little exaggerated, but yes it is common to see a few people panhandling at the major intersections along Woodward through Royal Oak.

Yeah that strip mall corner where the Krogers is at has seen better days but not quite hit the skids.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I will say that Woodward north of I-696 has a lackluster feel to it. It's full of junk most of the way. Just really uninspiring stores. I wouldn't say that it's dangerous or decayed, though.

Again, Woodward Ave. is a major throughfare, lined with business properties, and was essentially built-out by the late 1950s. You have relatively small parcels and limited parking. Woodward Ave. is an auto-centric road, heck its the home of the Dream Cruise. It is not a cutsy, walkable, historic downtown but neither is in a sprawling Hall Rd. M-59 style mess. Woodward through Royal Oak actually has a sizable number of "mom and pops" businesses that still remain to this day. The good news is that since land acquistion, right-of-way, and parking were non-existant that we do not have a massive mess big-boxes along Woodward. I'm sure developers would've loved to to that. However, on Saturdays it leads to massive amount of traffic headed up Coolidge Road north of 14 Mile to the Meijer, Home Depot, Kohls, Wal-Mart, etc up there. As was seen in the Visetta Garage issue earlier this year, businesses are limited by the amount of parking and they have to buy-out existing homes or businesses to acquire more.

Woodward south of I-696 through Ferndale is a litttle different since through the core of the business district, the buildings are closer to the road and most of the parking is in the back. Woodward does not go through the core business districts of Royal Oak or Berkley.

To say that Woodward is "mostly junk" is a little untrue too. The reality is that you can find pretty much every type of business on the stretch of Woodward north of I-696. Medical, grocery, drug stores, car wash, car repair, lawn mowers, bicycles, pet supplies, fast food, sit-down food, fancy food, bars, pizza places, ice cream, gardening supplies, skateboards, hair salons, etc. Again, there is a lot of "mom-and-pop" type places that are functional and practical. It isn't your cutsy high-prices art galleries and steakhouses of Birmingham.

Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge are right off this stretch, as are some of the most expensive sections of Royal Oak - east of Woodward between 11 & 13 Mile. These are some more the most desirable areas of Royal Oak. The Woodward Corridor is an extremely desirable area and a place where the residential areas are holding there own.

Again, the shopping center at Woodward & 13 Mile was supposed to be torn down. Beaumont announced in 2008 they were going to tear it down and redevelop the property in 2011. They were supposed to add additional medical buildings, and they were debating about having a retail element too, as in some type of redeveloped and/or smaller plaza. When the economy tanked and then with the uncertainty around Obama-care, they shelved those plans indefinetely. There hasn't been any talk about what the new timeline is, but that shopping center is functionally obsolete. There is demand for that location, but not in its current state and that the landlord isn't exactly trying to fill the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982
    I don't know if this translates to better retail, as Woodward is more of a regional destination than a local one, but I can think of a hell of a lot more "stuff", both good and bad, in the two miles north of the freeway than south, which makes sense as traffic drops off south of 696.
    Yes, the neighborhoods north of 696 are all varying levels of nice [[until Pontiac). That's why it's puzzling why that stretch of Woodward is such a boring, uninspiring road. It's the region's main thoroughfare, but aside from Vinsetta Garage, I can't think of a reason I'd call it a "regional destination". Unless, of course, you're counting Old Woodward or Cranbrook.

It always surprises me that not ONE classic drive-in restaurant survived. Shoot, a place like that'd do enough business during the Dream Cruise to pay for several months of business costs. You'd think there'd be a real flagship Coney Island, too, like the one on Gratiot near 696.

At least south of 696 there are interesting stores and restaurants on Woodward. If anything, the stark contrast shows you just what sort of cultural output you can expect from modern suburban sprawl.

Woodward is basically a giant strip mall and contains all of the day-to-day businesses for most of the adjacent communities. The East-West Mile roads like 11, 12 [[east of Woodward), 13, and 14 Mile have very few, if any commercial properties. 12 & 13 Mile through Royal Oak are single and multi-family residential. This is auto-centric 1950's-1960s era suburban sprawl. It isn't a regional destination in the sense that it attract people from all over Southeastern Michigan [[except for the Dream Cruise and Beaumont Hospital), but it does have reach over a very large swath of Southeastern Oakland County

The only thing interesting south of I-696 on Woodward is in the ½ mile stretch that is around 9 Mile and that is because it is downtown Ferndale.

can't think of a reason I'd call it a "regional destination". Unless, of course, you're counting Old Woodward or Cranbrook.
    There are some things: The Zoo, The Shrine, downtown Ferndale and Birmingham, Dream Cruise, Beaumont, Cranbrook.

It's boring and uninspiring because it is a commuter/errand road. I like the tribute monuments that line it though...

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Though anyone other than the wine sipping crowd would probably stick out in Bham.
    Birmingham has beggars too. There's an occasional one at Woodward/Maple. There are panhandlers occasionally downtown, though I would say it isn't the norm. There's petty criminal behavior, and sometimes even real violence, esp. surrounding the Palladium movie theater, and back when the South nightclub was still open.

Downtown really isn't reflective of the community, though. Most people you see in downtown Birmingham aren't from the immediate area.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I will admit to seeing a ton of Panhandlers this summer at that 13/ Woodward intersection. They've even crept their way up to 14 / Woodward. Daily. All summer long.
    For the past couple of years I've noticed panhandlers at the light before the bridge from southbound Woodward to eastbound 696 every single time I've driven through there. Maybe I'm just more aware now, but it's not something I recall seeing before in that area. Granted, I also don't drive through there on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover
    It's boring and uninspiring because it is a commuter/errand road.
    Yep, just like every road in Metro Detroit. I just don't get why Woodward can't just be awesome. It's the Motor City for Christ's sake, can't there be one showpiece road?

I've been staying in Iowa for a bit and it bugs me that the state's cities show more pride in our nation's automotive heritage than Metro Detroit. You'll go to random towns and there'll be gas station museums, recreations of classic automobile showrooms with muscle cars inside, and big trucks in the middle of restaurants. It's just shocking to me that Iowa does this and Metro Detroit really doesn't.

Vinsetta Garage should be viewed as a model for what Woodward should be.
    Last edited by nain rouge; November-18-14 at 10:52 AM.

Only Ferndale with its traffic cop statue kinda gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Those sketchy apartments across Woodward are filled with subsidized, Section 8 tenants and I would not be shocked if the 13/Wood panhandlers have some connection to that complex.

13/Wood is a bit odd. Surrounded by generally desirable neighborhoods of various types but many of the 50's-era apartment complexes surrounding Beaumont are of dubious reputation.

I assume they were all built for hospital staff, and some remain as such, but others, esp. east of Woodward, are pretty sketchy for Royal Oak standards. There is some petty drug dealing, loitering during weekday hours, off-the-books stuff going on. Not exactly unsafe but not desirable for most folks with a steady paycheck.
    Why do your posts always seem to make things worse than they are? Like the word "dubious" which is questioning the area with doubt. The other things you mention happen everywhere. All communities get old and need a new coat of paint, Royal Oak isn't any different. The only crime I've heard of there was the recent killing of a elderly women by those transients staying in one of those previously mentioned motels.

Yes, the neighborhoods north of 696 are all varying levels of nice [[until Pontiac). That's why it's puzzling why that stretch of Woodward is such a boring, uninspiring road. It's the region's main thoroughfare, but aside from Vinsetta Garage, I can't think of a reason I'd call it a "regional destination". Unless, of course, you're counting Old Woodward or Cranbrook.

It always surprises me that not ONE classic drive-in restaurant survived. Shoot, a place like that'd do enough business during the Dream Cruise to pay for several months of business costs. You'd think there'd be a real flagship Coney Island, too, like the one on Gratiot near 696.

At least south of 696 there are interesting stores and restaurants on Woodward. If anything, the stark contrast shows you just what sort of cultural output you can expect from modern suburban sprawl.
    Interesting restaurants North of 696 on Woodward: Athens [[Real flagship coney island), Hunter House, Redcoat Tavern, Moose Preserve, Duggan's Irish Pub, Blarney Stone Pub, The Stand

Stores: Woodward Camera, Moosejaw, Arizona Saddlery, Joe's Army-Navy

4 Higher-end groceries: Westborn, Papa Joe's, Kroger [[Birmingham), and Trader Joes

5 Ice Cream stands/parlors: Dairy Mat, Dairy Deluxe, Custard & Co, Oberweis, Bloomberry

A Porsche/Audi/Range Rover Dealership [[definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but certainly not something that would drop property values)

Yeah, I grew up in Birmingham, live a few blocks off Woodward in Royal Oak, and work downtown. I don't really see myself ever moving away from the Woodward Corridor, whether it be Royal Oak, Ferndale, Midtown, or Downtown.

A few other interesting restaurants:
    Vinsetta Garage, Vinsetta Grill, Crispelli's, Pasqualli's, Mt. Chalet [[II). & Peabody's

Not to mention a Ducati dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Yeah, I grew up in Birmingham, live a few blocks off Woodward in Royal Oak, and work downtown. I don't really see myself ever moving away from the Woodward Corridor, whether it be Royal Oak, Ferndale, Midtown, or Downtown.
    Sometimes I feel that for us who grew up/live in the Woodward corridor, there's a certain Manhattan-esque mentality. Ergo, there can't possibly be a better location/there's nothing else outside of our little world.

Original House of Pancakes and Sign of the Beefcarver

....I almost put Sign of the Beef Carver on the list..jokingly.
    I half-suggested to my wife we should go there sometime. Maybe I'll take the nice elderly couple in their mid-80s who watch our house when we are out of town across the street out to dinner there sometime [[at 5pm).

If we're going there, don't forget The Chicken Shack & Monty's Grill.

Stores: Orvis, KLM Bike and Fitness, Blick Art Supply, Tennis and Golf Company, American Cycle and Fitness, Wild Birds Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm not a big shopper, and never have been. When I actually need something, the first place I go to is the Internet. The 45 minutes I waste there, allows me to look @ multiple products within my parameters, and choose one that best suites my needs. Wasting the same 45 minutes using my car, gets me to one store, which may, or may not, have what I'm looking for. I think a lot of brick and mortar type shopping demise undoubtedly has to do with Internet development.
    I have lived a 10-minute walk from Northwood Shopping Center for some 20 years, so have shopped at stores in this locale and up and down Woodward Avenue often. I already miss the demise of the McDevitt's Hallmark that was a staple there for so many years.

I prefer to shop local businesses rather than Internet sites. When I go out shopping, it is always for a variety of items, usually at more than one stop, using a route that makes the most of my time without going out of my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    5 Ice Cream stands/parlors: Dairy Mat, Dairy Deluxe, Custard & Co, Oberweis, Bloomberry
    Oberweis- one of my favorite summer places to get ice cream.

It was also the site from where a friend of mine once texted me. Instead of letting me know "I'm at Oberweis" her smart phone auto correct spewed out "I'm at Overweight". Miraculously I knew where she was though.

I am concerned about the 13 Mile & Woodward vicinity, and feel that it has seen much better days. It was recently brought to my attention that the church at Normandy & Woodward is running a homeless shelter out of there on a regular basis. One of the homeless panhandlers singled me out and bothered me so badly at the Potbelly that I landed up having to call the police to report it. Also, many of the old junky apartments on 13 Mile Rd around Greenfield/Woodward/Coolidge area are now section 8 accommodations. Also, it appears that Beaumont isn't going to be doing much of anything with the dumpy Northwood Shopping Center anytime soon. The nearby City of Southfield is in decline and will only get worse. I live in the 14 Mile & Greenfield vicinity and we are having problems over here with the rif raf coming in and casing the neighborhood on a regular basis. There are some nice new houses being built around here, but the majority of the housing stock is becoming quite dated and irrelevant for today's standards. I too enjoy the energy and nostalgia of Woodward Ave in the summer, but would like to see better business installations other than just a new subway or burger king. The roads around here aren't the greatest, they're not bad but they're not good either. I have not reached the point of worrying, but I am becoming very concerned! We will see what the future brings?????

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerguy48025 View Post
    I am concerned about the 13 Mile & Woodward vicinity, and feel that it has seen much better days. It was recently brought to my attention that the church at Normandy & Woodward is running a homeless shelter out of there on a regular basis. One of the homeless panhandlers singled me out and bothered me so badly at the Potbelly that I landed up having to call the police to report it. Also, many of the old junky apartments on 13 Mile Rd around Greenfield/Woodward/Coolidge area are now section 8 accommodations. Also, it appears that Beaumont isn't going to be doing much of anything with the dumpy Northwood Shopping Center anytime soon. The nearby City of Southfield is in decline and will only get worse. I live in the 14 Mile & Greenfield vicinity and we are having problems over here with the rif raf coming in and casing the neighborhood on a regular basis. There are some nice new houses being built around here, but the majority of the housing stock is becoming quite dated and irrelevant for today's standards. I too enjoy the energy and nostalgia of Woodward Ave in the summer, but would like to see better business installations other than just a new subway or burger king. The roads around here aren't the greatest, they're not bad but they're not good either. I have not reached the point of worrying, but I am becoming very concerned! We will see what the future brings?????
    I hear downtown Detroit is becoming more affluent and educated. Might consider a move down there.

I love Crispellis on the Woodward corridor [[Berkley). Great date place or for the kids. Fresh, grand pizza made to order, super salads, pop, desserts, beer or wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerguy48025 View Post
    You are not alone-the city of Lincoln Park is in decline and the ghettoification is already starting to spread big time south into Southgate and Wyandotte and I'll give about ten years before Trenton also enters a major decline. It appears that the Fort Street corridor through that area-which is like Woodward around 13 Mile, but with mostly just single-story commercial-has too seen better days.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    You are not alone-the city of Lincoln Park is in decline and the ghettoification is already starting to spread big time south into Southgate and Wyandotte and I'll give about ten years before Trenton also enters a major decline. It appears that the Fort Street corridor through that area-which is like Woodward around 13 Mile, but with mostly just single-story commercial-has too seen better days.
    Lincoln Park is at least fortunate to have spillover from Detroit's Mexican-American community, which is growing and knows what to do with sleepy old strips.

What's called "ghettoification" is really just capital leaving an area. As the people with means and money leave, poorer residents find it more affordable to stake their claim and move in. It has just been accelerated by the foreclosure problem, which hit Lincoln Park especially hard, as well as the offshoring of so much the production work, which took many of the jobs people Downriver used to have. Retirement and moving away are factors as well, as so many of those blue-collar folks were already older. Then there's all the people who've just given up on this region and moved south and west.

But, as with all areas of metro Detroit, the common problem is lack of coherent development policy. As long as developers are in the driver's seat in this region, they'll just keep building ticky-tacky houses on the periphery and making bank while neighborhoods trapped between the hipper spots in Detroit and the exurbs experience capital flight.

Don't let's make the mistake of thinking that it's the poor people moving in who are the problem. Our key regional decision-makers are happy to go on making a pretty penny off our metro Detroit housing version of musical chairs, and to keep offering you a 2,000-square-foot house beyond this year's version of "Eight Mile" as the solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast