Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
    DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Gisty: Please understand, F*** the Fords. I don't give a damn where they live. They are not needed to validate the worth of the city of my residence. The Pointe is a wonderful place to live despite the dearth of Fords and in spite of the lunatic ramblings of the internet troll known as Detroitboy.

Those of us who have lived here for decades know the truth. We will be just fine regardless of online nonsense as spread by the likes of mentally deficient fools like the original poster on this thread.

'Sy' Keep calling me names. You just validate everything I believe about the area and the kind of people that now live there. You demonstrate how low life it has become from the days when it was the home of many distinguished families. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Gisty: Please understand, F*** the Fords. I don't give a damn where they live. They are not needed to validate the worth of the city of my residence. The Pointe is a wonderful place to live despite the dearth of Fords and in spite of the lunatic ramblings of the internet troll known as Detroitboy.

Those of us who have lived here for decades know the truth. We will be just fine regardless of online nonsense as spread by the likes of mentally deficient fools like the original poster on this thread.
    i think the OP is a high school kid living at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    99% of Michigan is largely irrelevant, either ghetto or farmville
    Now I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    i think the OP is a high school kid living at home.
    And probably a member of the nouveau-riche, insecure about his own perceived prosperity. Such tribal mentality he possesses is so common. Pity...

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post

The nexus, both women and about a dozen neighbors assured the Farms city council Monday, Jan. 12, is the seemingly high number of rental properties in the 200 block of Moran.
    Wow. Looking on Google Maps, this looks like a really nice street. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    'Sy' Keep calling me names. You just validate everything I believe about the area and the kind of people that now live there. You demonstrate how low life it has become from the days when it was the home of many distinguished families. What a shame.
    Kind of an interesting response but wrong. The GPs really do have nice people, nice schools, nice parks.

Ignore idiots, they do not represent the GPs and most likely don't live there. I haven't lived there for years and but never doubted it was and still is a solid community

Wow. Looking on Google Maps, this looks like a really nice street. What a shame.
    It is a nice street. And the people I see when I walk my dog down the block are really nice as well. Lots of rentals popped up during the housing crisis when people needed to move but could not sell. They are getting sold off now that the housing market in GP has taken off again. I had 3 on my street last year and only one is left. Typically, a house that rents for $1600 or more a month usually doesn't attract anyone who is going to trash the neighborhood.

Don't worry too much about housing in Grosse Pointe. It will remain stable if only because most Eastsiders would rather commit seppuku than move to Oakland or Macomb county.
    Last edited by aoife; January-29-15 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    It is a nice street. And the people I see when I walk my dog down the block are really nice as well. Lots of rentals popped up during the housing crisis when people needed to move but could not sell. They are getting sold off now that the housing market in GP has taken off again. I had 3 on my street last year and only one is left. Typically, a house that rents for $1600 or more a month usually doesn't attract anyone who is going to trash the neighborhood.

Don't worry too much about housing in Grosse Pointe. It will remain stable if only because most Eastsiders would rather commit seppuku than move to Oakland or Macomb county.

That's right. Most rich folks will not give up their historic mansions and lakefront property. It's the middle income bedroom neighborhoods that will be filled up with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

That's right. Most rich folks will not give up their historic mansions and lakefront property. It's the middle income bedroom neighborhoods that will be filled up with other people.
    by keeping the rents high we can appeal to a select class of people...

http://youtu.be/kBJDz4ylQO0

I guess I'm one of those "other people". My "bedroom" neighborhood [[whatever that is) is doing just fine.

Sidewalks weren't plowed until noon. Maybe I should sell.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sidewalks weren't plowed until noon. Maybe I should sell.
    Mine were done yesterday. A lot of good that did. But I did see a couple Detroit plow trucks make a nice pass on our side of Mack Ave. Wonder if they realized their blades were down and their salters were on?

MAcc Guest

The parallels between the Pointes and Shaker Heights, Ohio [[next to Cleveland) are astonishing:

A Suburb Looks Nervously at Its Urban Neighbor
    "SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio — A week after six black teenagers nearly beat her husband to death, Marybeth McDermott looked out her big living room window at the neighborhood she loves, pursed her lips, then looked away..."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/us/17shaker.html

Balancing Act; A special report.; One City's 30-Year Crusade for Integration
    "SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio— For 30 years now Shaker Heights, a suburban forest of Old World estates on the eastern border of Cleveland, has made racial integration something of a crusade..."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/30/us...tegration.html

Fence Is Not Neighborly In a Suburb of Cleveland
    CLEVELAND, June 25— "At the Shaker Heights City Hall, the structure is known a ''traffic diverter.'' But across the border, in Cleveland, it has been dubbed ''the Berlin Wall for black people...''
    http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/27/us...cleveland.html

Video of the city razing houses that were prime for low-income renters:

MAcc Guest

Shaker Heights public schools are in the toilet. Taxes are sky high, which basically support all of the remedial programs for the lower means students that moved to the district. Crime is high. It takes forever to sell a house. I'm sure many people from GP are in tune with what went wrong in Shaker Heights. The $64,000 question is whether GP can prevent the same fate...
    Last edited by MAcc; February-02-15 at 09:14 PM.

MAcc what is astonishing is your shrill sensationalism.... you should be on the local 5PM newcast. In the 2 months you've been on this forum, you've been tormenting us with fire and brimstone predictions..... to the point of paranoia.... maybe you need something to settle your nerves... or a hobby that doesn't annoy...

I take it MAcc isn't a GP real estate agent.

The parallels between the Pointes and Shaker Heights, Ohio [[next to Cleveland) are astonishing:

A Suburb Looks Nervously at Its Urban Neighbor
    "SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio — A week after six black teenagers nearly beat her husband to death, Marybeth McDermott looked out her big living room window at the neighborhood she loves, pursed her lips, then looked away..."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/us/17shaker.html

Balancing Act; A special report.; One City's 30-Year Crusade for Integration
    "SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio— For 30 years now Shaker Heights, a suburban forest of Old World estates on the eastern border of Cleveland, has made racial integration something of a crusade..."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/30/us...tegration.html

Fence Is Not Neighborly In a Suburb of Cleveland
    CLEVELAND, June 25— "At the Shaker Heights City Hall, the structure is known a ''traffic diverter.'' But across the border, in Cleveland, it has been dubbed ''the Berlin Wall for black people...''
    http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/27/us...cleveland.html

Video of the city razing houses that were prime for low-income renters:
    Shaker Heights is no Richville like the Grosse Pointes. It used to be when mostly white rich to middle class folks there. It's when more middle class black folks from Southwest Cleveland migrated to that suburb is when property values decline and white flight acclerated. Like you see in the You Tube video of the demolition of the once middle class colonial. That house is still livable. Why its has to be demolished. It's because drug dealers, hoodlums, poor welfare folks move in they will make Shaker Heights an instant ghetto? By look at Shaker Heights today its becoming like Cleveland Heights.

Shaker Heights is no Richville like the Grosse Pointes. It used to be when mostly white rich to middle class folks there. It's when more middle class black folks from Southwest Cleveland migrated to that suburb is when property values decline and white flight acclerated. Like you see in the You Tube video of the demolition of the once middle class colonial. That house is still livable. Why its has to be demolished. It's because drug dealers, hoodlums, poor welfare folks move in they will make Shaker Heights an instant ghetto? By look at Shaker Heights today its becoming like Cleveland Heights.
    The US census says otherwise: 2010 census figures state the combined per capita income average of the 5 Pointes at $52,920. Shaker Heights is $48,791. Not a huge difference.

i maintain that the two communities have a lot in common. There are differences too of course. Shaker doesn't have a lakefront, but unlike GP it isn't far removed from other wealthy areas. The nearby communities of Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, and Hunting Valley are Cleveland's wealthiest, in fact Hunting Valley is one of the wealthiest in the country. Neighboring Beachwood is solidly middle to upper middle class and the areas close to the Shaker border in Cleveland Heights are that city's wealthiest.

MAcc Guest

Yes, no lakefront, but at least Shaker butts up against some prime enclaves. GP is isolated, even more so now that Harper Woods has basically been swallowed by Detroit. Geographically, Shaker Heights is more like a Southfield, which borders Detroit, but also borders thriving suburbs like Franklin and Birmingham. GP's water probably helps the police patrol, versus Shaker Heights which has to worry about crime from all corners, basically.

Median home values are like 20% higher in GP though, and they have the benefit of two high schools, so perhaps they have the juice and strategies to employ to quell the demise. Buying out the slumlords and sending Harper Woods residents to Harper Woods schools seem like no-brainers. No idea how viable either of those are.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11