Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I like what Sumas has said about the way things used to be as a kid in the D. I remember those times too.

But things changed as I got older as did the D.

A few of the later posts in the thread reminded me of that old saying...

The grass is always greener on the other side. In the case of the majority of the D it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I like what Sumas has said about the way things used to be as a kid in the D. I remember those times too.

But things changed as I got older as did the D.

A few of the later posts in the thread reminded me of that old saying...

The grass is always greener on the other side. In the case of the majority of the D it really is.
    True.

Just about everything [[except Better Made Chips and Faygo Pop) as far as the way things were in Detroit when you all were kids is no more.

The question many have to ask themselves is if they should hang around and spend the prime of their lives engaging in a thankless effort to salvage a place that is no more, or move on to greener pastures.

The point is "what went wrong and how do we make it better"! We try in our small little way.

Never ever say never. Seriously have issues with city services etc. Improves daily, I have major hope and confidence in a new revitalized Detroit. Still tilting at wind mills, my bad.. Happening people! Vie de detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I've lived in the suburbs. They're universally terrible. They are banal, uniquely devoid of character, and full of small-minded people. Don't believe me? The real estate prices in our "toniest" suburbs are on par with the ghetto houses in real US cities.
    I'm going to have to agree with that generalization. The suburbs were indeed created as a racist and segregative reaction to Detroit. The lines are drawn, yet, it's odd how the suburbs treat Detroit like it's own toilet [[there were heavy articles about how suburban teens treated Detroit in some old Metropolitan Detroit magazines)-notice how most strip clubs are on the outskirts of Detroit closest to the dividing lines [[Telegraph, Eight Mile, certain parts of Michigan Ave., etc.). Let's also not forget racist police codes like "n.i.l.", "n.o.m.a.d.", or "'Spodas". Those were thought to be legends, until I found them verified.
    Try growing up a young man in a part of town with only aging white couple and young black families starting out, and then, you find out you are unable to establish any common ground with the spoiled, materialistic, petty-minded, status-seeking, closet-racist suburban-raised girls who won't venture into the city often. Sounds ugly coming from me, but you didn't have my constantly reoccurring experiences in this area, and I won't be reproved on the matter.
    I know my situation could be worse, but I hate where I live, and there's not too much I can do about that in the meantime. It did not take too long to find out how racist my neighbors in Dearborn are: they gripe again and again about Halloween and how they wish "all the blacks, Latinos, and Arabs would go trick-or-treat in their own neighborhood" [[they usually close their doors by 6:30 that particular night). Heck, some of them get a bug up their butt if someone's Halloween display is too scary.
    Yeah, Dearborn...could be much worse, but it's odd living in a city where folks put up elaborate holiday displays on their houses, and then give you overly-suspicious looks out their window when you drive by to admire them [[a practice we used to do in North Rosedale Park all the time without that kind of reaction). See what it's like living in a city where old-timers [[those Hubbard-voting types) got nothing better to do but drive around and jab an intolerant finger at your garbage cans you put out an hour earlier than you were "supposed to" because you had soiled linens left over from a recently ill family member that passed-on. P*sses you off! In actuality, the few nice folks I do come across happen to be Latino or Arab-American on my block. Sorry. maybe this is a topic that just gets my ire up too easily, and I will not hear the contrary of it.

Sorry for the hating, but in actuality, I'm being more of an indicator pointing to the origin of the hate.Also, I know I'm not alone in this. I still can't forget the penultimate issue of Orbit [[remember that magazine?) that had a tour breakdown of all the connected suburbs [[and all the funny names-Spoiled Joke, Garbage Sh*tty, ainoviL, etc.-and faults attached to them). Truth is: segregation exists starkly in every city I lived in [[Louisville, Madison, Boston, Bloomington, IL, etc.)-it's part of the sedimentary way society falls into it's brackets. Yet, a lot of it is economical prejudice [[remember the vigilantes from richer communities firing on folks trying to leave their poorer parishes during Katrina). It's just that with Detroit and the suburbs, it can be very pronounced. Heck, I remember Century 21 got straight up busted here not too long ago showing preference against showing the same homes in certain communities to deserving African American families even when money wasn't an issue-so.....I lived in Kentucky over a year, and I've seen more confederate flags around Wayne county [[no lie).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2