Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Yeah because these are culinary experts. You might as well post a link to the Metro Times food restaurant reviews.

Gee Cliffy... don't tell me that you're an expert on food as well??

Well then tell us... what would you consider a good review for food and hospitality??

Here's a writeup on the 5 star program [[Honky Tonk pay attention)...

About The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences:
    Founded in Chicago in 1949 as the International Restaurant Ratings Bureau. The AAHS is now headquartered in New York City and governed by a Board of Trustees who oversees the stringent nomination and selection processes of the Five-Star Diamond Award. The Board is comprised of numerous hospitality industry leaders and celebrated chefs, who are themselves world travelers. The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences is the world's premiere organization for awarding excellence in travel, cuisine, luxury products and services. Each year, the Academy bestows its coveted International Star Diamond Award — a recognition that many strive for but few achieve — on superlative establishments that are deemed to be of pinnacle quality.

She blinded me with science.

i went to thisbuilding this morning, where this is to be opening, no one had any idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I am paying attention, I'm just not impressed. But, if that's your thing, have @ it. When I was @ Wayne State, I don't recall "Hospitality" being an offered Science course. Now I do understand that there are people interested in the hotel/motel/food management/culinary "arts" fields, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's a great line of business to get into, and profitable to boot. But to concoct some kind of self-appointed award, and label it a "Science" is a bit of a stretch, IMO. To me, this is akin to someone paying a couple of hundred bucks for a pair of tennis shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    Another place that opened with supposed good intentions, and then morphed into a night club that attracts a high concentration of obnoxious patrons.
    We'll keep the fun stuff out of your White Man Paradise, anonJD We appreciate your help with determining what is allowed, and what is not. Have you thought about running for city council to make sure all restaurants have early bird specials, and that doors close no later than 9pm, with alcoholic beverages served no later than 7:30pm

anonJD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    We'll keep the fun stuff out of your White Man Paradise, anonJD We appreciate your help with determining what is allowed, and what is not. Have you thought about running for city council to make sure all restaurants have early bird specials, and that doors close no later than 9pm, with alcoholic beverages served no later than 7:30pm
    Are you obsessed with race? Who said I'm a white male? Examine your motives.

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    Are you obsessed with race? Who said I'm a white male? Examine your motives.
    I think your motives on this board are pretty transparent, regardless of your race or socioeconomic background. Unfortunately, most popular boards on the internet start formulating mold at some point. You are that result.

Hey Honky Tonk... I understand the concept of the term Science is a bit stretched when it tries to include Gastronomy and Hospitality.... but then again... how does one explain away "Political" Science??

Easy.

Political Science is based the application of the Boolean "Not" function.

For example, because is has been shown that a politician will lie with a probability of unity + or - 00000000000000000.1%, it can then be assumed that one can take the opposite of what they say as being true.

In a Venn diagram, the set of lies does not intersect the set of truths, thus leading to the politician formula:

R = Not[[PS)

wherein:

R is reality

PS is what a politician states

Some examples:

George Bush: "Read my lips, no new taxes"

Bill Clinton: "I did not have sex with that women"

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    Easy.

Political Science is based the application of the Boolean "Not" function.

For example, because is has been shown that a politician will lie with a probability of unity + or - 00000000000000000.1%, it can then be assumed that one can take the opposite of what they say as being true.

In a Venn diagram, the set of lies does not intersect the set of truths, thus leading to the politician formula:

R = Not[[PS)

wherein:

R is reality

PS is what a politician states

Some examples,
    George Bush: "Read my lips, no new taxes"

Bill Clinton: "I did not have sex with that women"
    Your argument is wrong in two ways. One is that saying that essentially all politicians lie is not at all the same as saying that all statements by politicians are lies. You can make a case that the first statement is true, but the second statement is obviously false. If you ask a politician his name, or his address, or what party he is a member of, you will almost always get a correct answer. So you can't assume that what a politician says is a lie.

Second is that Not[[PS) is not well defined either. Suppose a politician says "I favor lower taxes." and that is a lie. We still don't know if he wants higher taxes or the same level of taxes or a mixture of higher and lower taxes or just doesn't care about taxes at all. The truth is that when people are known to lie, you just have to ignore what they say [[except insofar as you may be able to make inferences about what they think it is acceptable to say.) It isn't safe to draw any other conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Your argument is wrong in two ways. One is that saying that essentially all politicians lie is not at all the same as saying that all statements by politicians are lies. You can make a case that the first statement is true, but the second statement is obviously false. If you ask a politician his name, or his address, or what party he is a member of, you will almost always get a correct answer. So you can't assume that what a politician says is a lie.

Second is that Not[[PS) is not well defined either. Suppose a politician says "I favor lower taxes." and that is a lie. We still don't know if he wants higher taxes or the same level of taxes or a mixture of higher and lower taxes or just doesn't care about taxes at all. The truth is that when people are known to lie, you just have to ignore what they say [[except insofar as you may be able to make inferences about what they think it is acceptable to say.) It isn't safe to draw any other conclusions.

My post was meant to be a snark. However, your analysis is excellent, and I commend it.

And I could extend it to one who is known to tell the truth. A person may be telling what they believe to be true based on a bad assessment of a situation.

Going back to George Bush.

He may have verily believed that he would not raise taxes, but the reality of politics made that statement unreliable.

Does this mean politics is a science?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gee Cliffy... don't tell me that you're an expert on food as well??

Well then tell us... what would you consider a good review for food and hospitality??

About The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences:
    Founded in Chicago in 1949 as the International Restaurant Ratings Bureau. The AAHS is now headquartered in New York City and governed by a Board of Trustees who oversees the stringent nomination and selection processes of the Five-Star Diamond Award. The Board is comprised of numerous hospitality industry leaders and celebrated chefs, who are themselves world travelers. The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences is the world's premiere organization for awarding excellence in travel, cuisine, luxury products and services. Each year, the Academy bestows its coveted International Star Diamond Award — a recognition that many strive for but few achieve — on superlative establishments that are deemed to be of pinnacle quality.
    Dude, you got the wrong restaurant

http://www.stardiamondaward.com/proj.../#.VF-JtYeTx0A

Its in NYC LOLOL

Not the Burger place in Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. if you're being serious, that's just not true, considering Fountain Bistro, Roast, Coach Insignia, Wright & Co, etc. are all within walking distance to this place and are in the same price range, or *far* more expensive, and are thriving.
    Double the price of the Mercury Bar and I don't think it would be still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Dude, you got the wrong restaurant

http://www.stardiamondaward.com/proj.../#.VF-JtYeTx0A

Its in NYC LOLOL

Not the Burger place in Birmingham
    OK Cliffy... lets start over....
    Click on Birmingham's Townhouse....
    http://eatattownhouse.com/

Now scroll down to the Honors/Awards icons... and click on the one that says "STAR DIAMOND AWARD"... which will take you here...
    http://eatattownhouse.com/assets/5.png

Now where do you see a place in NYC?? It IS the Burger place in Birmingham...

Got it?

OK... I hope we're on the same page now......

http://detroit.eater.com/2015/1/8/75...t-and-open-air

renderings revealed. Awesome concept!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    http://detroit.eater.com/2015/1/8/75...t-and-open-air

renderings revealed. Awesome concept!
    Super ambitious, love it. Hope it goes as planned!

that entrance is god awful.

I like that they're trying to fill the space between the tower and the street, but I would have preferred something that fit in with ODC's modernist design like this:

http://www.officespace.com/building/...troit-MI-48226

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    that entrance is god awful.
    I agree it looks very tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I agree it looks very tacky.
    Of course it does... it's from a guy who's used to catering to the Birmingham/OC crowd.

Love everything I am seeing-- great use of the setback and perfect place to add/entice foot traffic, particularly after dark. Applause for the glass roof so you can enjoy the beautiful art deco skyline which surrounds you. Kudos to Townhouse. Now just tone down that entryway a bit...

What is going on with the Gilbert-owned Vinton Bldg across the street?

Thats the back entrance, where the cafe is now, accorrding to the guards its going to be off the entrance near woodward

According to the art renderings... it's not facing Woodward, but Congress St., which I guess makes it a bit less tacky.... but not much.....

A little weird, I suppose, but I kind of like it. I love the building, but it is just kind of a dead block that could use some significant upgrade in terms of street life. This will certainly add some pizzazz while walking by.

I spotted this rendering by the architects Macintosh Poris, via the DeadlineDetroit article, showing it enclosed. Seemingly it will be all season, sort of like Fountain Bistro on Campus Martius.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast