Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I'm curious: Were you stopped? if not, how do you know your plates were scanned? Did they stop you or are you just assuming that they were checked?

I'm all for enforcement but I would like to see equal enforcement. It seems [[now they may have received tickets) skateboarders somehow get a pass. I'm curious as to why.
    I'm trying to figure out where in any post anyone is "giving them a pass". One poster said tell them to stop and if they don't give them tickets. The witness to the event said it didn't appear to be doing any damage. However, if it was... send the little vandals to "pound you in the ass prison" for all I care. There are skate parks all over the Metro area and in Detroit. If the little skate rats can drive to get to BI they can go to any one of them. But that isn't keeping it real enough for them.
    Last edited by bailey; October-28-14 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There's a skateboard park, in your neck of the woods, @ the end of Gallagher and Davison. [[NO, it's NOT on the freeway) It has half-pipes, mounds, rails, slides, everything needed to shred to your heart's content. Even the famous Tony Hawk, visited and boarded there once. I don't understand, [[well, I kinda do) why a historic fountain, or marble museum steps, or other places that are maintained and kept up, need to be wrecked. If a park is too tame for you, try one of the thousand abandoned structures in the City.
    Well, not knowing who was skating, it's hard to say whether they had the means or not to hit that one up in Banglatown.

In the best of all worlds, there would at least be a sign telling people why they shouldn't grind on a historic structure. They may not be aware of the damage they can do.

Then again, the Scott Fountain has been scrapped before, so there are worse ways to do damage, I guess.

I wonder why it's dry now? Perhaps because we're due for a freeze soon?

As for the race thing, I can understand that some people feel uncomfortable talking about race. It's also true to a lesser extent about class.

If that's true for you, then I have a solution: Don't talk about race or class.

But if other people would like to discuss race or class, it's certainly their right. Pissing and moaning about "race cards" and "white guilt" or "class warfare" when the subjects arise is the way people who don't want anybody to discuss race or class try to end valid discussions.

We're getting better in this country, but we didn't get this far by "leaving the past in the past" and not discussing these important issues.

Funny this board is always hollering for the harshest sentences but these 'kids' should just get a talkin' to?
    Hypocrisy because I think that people who have warrants for their arrest should be..... arrested? But then if some kids are being dumb that they should just be told to stop?

The whole idea between the two scenarios is compliance with the law.

You tell the kids to stop, explain why, and maybe try to build some rapport respect so they don't think of law enforcement as the enemy. If the kids don't stop, then you start the fines, detaining, etc...

On the other hand, you have people that have already refused to court, pay for their tickets, etc... I've had interactions with the law that required me to follow up with a court by a certain date. Guess what I did? I did the paperwork, paid my fines, and I've never had a warrant out for my arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Well, not knowing who was skating, it's hard to say whether they had the means or not to hit that one up in Banglatown.

In the best of all worlds, there would at least be a sign telling people why they shouldn't grind on a historic structure. They may not be aware of the damage they can do.

Then again, the Scott Fountain has been scrapped before, so there are worse ways to do damage, I guess.

I believe they stop running sometime in Sept/Oct and have probably properly winterized it/drained pipes, etc [[something the city likely never did or never did properly)

NOAA is predicting snow flurries this Friday and Saturday. It has hit the low 40's @ night. I met a gentleman a few years back that was the engineer for the Scott fountain. It takes a bit to blow out those lines to prevent damage. There was also an indoor 2-ended ramp and skateboard shop on Joseph Compost @ one time.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Hypocrisy because I think that people who have warrants for their arrest should be..... arrested? But then if some kids are being dumb that they should just be told to stop?

The whole idea between the two scenarios is compliance with the law.

You tell the kids to stop, explain why, and maybe try to build some rapport respect so they don't think of law enforcement as the enemy. If the kids don't stop, then you start the fines, detaining, etc...

On the other hand, you have people that have already refused to court, pay for their tickets, etc... I've had interactions with the law that required me to follow up with a court by a certain date. Guess what I did? I did the paperwork, paid my fines, and I've never had a warrant out for my arrest.
    Just to be clear you are advocating for warnings unless there are warrants? If that is your position, fine but would it also apply to people smoking weed, drinking 40s, playing music too loud, etc?

If you are good with warnings to all without warrants then I am on board with the consistency. Many others have advocated for a near police state on BI and if that's the case, then it should be applied equally.

There should be a big skate park on belle isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Nothing says relaxation like being surrounded by skaters.

Just to be clear you are advocating for warnings unless there are warrants? If that is your position, fine but would it also apply to people smoking weed, drinking 40s, playing music too loud, etc?
    For quoting me you sure didn't do a good job of summarizing me!

If there are kids skating in a park where it is not allowed, I propose that law enforcement simply tell them stop.

If they do not comply, then the consequences start coming. If they are respectful and stop, then great, mission accomplished.

As to weed, I propose decriminalization.

Music too loud, first offense - I'd do a warning

Drinking 40s - That's not illegal to my knowledge [[in a general context)

Drinking 40s in public - If the person isn't being an issue outside of it, make them empty it out, issue a warning, get your ID ran

Drinking 40s in public while being obnoxious\dangerous - Ticketed\arrested
    Last edited by Scottathew; October-28-14 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    For quoting me you sure didn't do a good job of summarizing me!

If there are kids skating in a park where it is not allowed, I propose that law enforcement simply tell them stop.

If they do not comply, then the consequences start coming. If they are respectful and stop, then great, mission accomplished.

As to weed, I propose decriminalization.

Music too loud, first offense - I'd do a warning

Drinking 40s - That's not illegal to my knowledge [[in a general context)

Drinking 40s in public - If the person isn't being an issue outside of it, make them empty it out, issue a warning, get your ID ran

Drinking 40s in public while being obnoxious\dangerous - Ticketed\arrested
    I wasn't quoting you, I was asking you. I was also asking if you are consistent in your approach, which clearly you are [[based upon your last post). All I want to hear is consistency in what should be enforced and to what extent. You're good in my book if you see that stuff as first offense warnings. Sadly, I've heard from many people that those should be automatic tickets.

I wasn't quoting you, I was asking you. I was also asking if you are consistent in your approach, which clearly you are [[based upon your last post). All I want to hear is consistency in what should be enforced and to what extent. You're good in my book if you see that stuff as first offense warnings. Sadly, I've heard from many people that those should be automatic tickets.
    In general for all these little offenses a change in behavior is desired, not justice. If my neighbor is being too loud, first I would ask them to stop. Then if they don't stop and it's a regular occurrence, I'd call the police. I wouldn't care if they got a warning or not, just as long as they stopped it.

When it comes to weed, just the mere smoking of it and getting high is generally a victimless crime. It's when you start driving, or being obnoxious in public that it start to become an issue.

Also, I'm for the decriminalization and regulation of prostitution, which is also a victimless crime.

Willi Guest

Maybe some old farts should just jump on a board....

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Maybe some old farts should just jump on a board....

Nice clip. Thanx...

As for the race thing, I can understand that some people feel uncomfortable talking about race. It's also true to a lesser extent about class.
    Why dont you start a race thread then? You can make discrete mildly racist remarks to your hearts content and the rest of us get to decide weather to indulge your illness. Or better yet join a race message board. We discuss Detroit here.This thread is about skateboarding in the Scott Fountain and weather or not it damages the marble.... Marble will probably be fine however any wax applied is a mess. This is just another example of something I did when i was younger that I refuse to care about. Kids want to skate then skate they should. Its not my fountain. I'm happy they are enjoying it.
    Last edited by rex; October-28-14 at 05:38 PM.

Why can't they skate on the big Grand Prix concrete slab?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Ditto! That'll be another good reason to come out, and maybe we can try to get The X-Games here or something again?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Why can't they skate on the big Grand Prix concrete slab?
    Because it's a smooth, flat surface. They want to be able to "grind" rails, jump steps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Kids want to skate then skate they should. Its not my fountain.
    That right there says a lot about you and where your head's @.

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    A simple, slight shaming of "Hey guys, it took a million years to get the funds together to fix that fountain. How about you not wreck it?" would probably work.
    A shaming or talking to them or engaging them in a rapport is NOT going to work. If they're there skateboarding already, they don't care. These attempts will get you nothing but insults.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    A shaming or talking to them or engaging them in a rapport is NOT going to work. If they're there skateboarding already, they don't care. These attempts will get you nothing but insults.
    Better to just call the Rangers/State Cops and squeal.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I used to live in south Warren and I would take my daughter to some of the parks. There often would be groups of middle-school aged kids saying "fuck" and "nigger".

On several occasions I politely asked the kids to please stop, citing my 2-3 year old as the reason.

Every single time the kids responded politely and modified their behavior.

Sometimes just asking nicely works.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Why dont you start a race thread then? You can make discrete mildly racist remarks to your hearts content and the rest of us get to decide weather to indulge your illness. Or better yet join a race message board. We discuss Detroit here.This thread is about skateboarding in the Scott Fountain and weather or not it damages the marble....
    Race is one of the most important and relevant topics in Detroit's history. It has been at the root of three major riots over the last 151 years. The metropolitan region is one of the most segregated in the country. There are going to be lots of occasions when race, as a topic, rears its head, and if you don't feel up to discussing that aspect of the city, perhaps you should simply choose to remain silent, instead of telling others what they may discuss. And, frankly, at this point, maybe you should stop bringing it up. That topic was addressed about a dozen posts ago.

Now, as for me making "racist remarks," I've never even come close on this board in all my years of posting. Before acting qualified to tell other people what to discuss on this board, maybe you should improve your reading comprehension a bit.

Before acting qualified to tell other people what to discuss on this board, maybe you should improve your reading comprehension a bit.
    Sweet awesome red herring you got there. Since you really cant defeat my reasoning you insult my intelligence instead... Again. If you feel like we need to discuss race in Detroit how about you start a race thread, pretty sure its been discussed again and again and again? Race has zero to do with marble, skateboards, or a fountain on Belle Isle. As for your remarks, you aren't as clever as you seem to think.

Geez, I'm sorry I posed the original question...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast