Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes, that's a point!

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    You show you are new to board when you choose to respond to Danny in the above manner. Give it some time and you will chuckle when you see his posts... He has been a fixture on this board so long that I could identify his posts without seeing his screen-name...

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...l#incart_river

press release and details coming tomorrow.. finally! we've seen the work begun however midtown detroit inc was quiet on the news.. .

excited to see what they have in store

Name:  B7PP7CPIgAAE2KV.jpg-large.jpeg
Views: 1056
Size:  45.4 KB

rendering revealed today

I want to move to there.

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2015/01/...ts-affordable/

40% of the apartments [[~50 units) will be set aside for affordable housing while the rest will be market-rate.

No one would pay full market rent knowing that 40% of the people in your building are likely going to steal from you, not maintain their units and invite crazies into their complex.

While we're at it, we should apply the same sound logic to any car marker and company that received tax credits via any state/local level- we should demand that 40% of Cadillacs, Lincolns and Ram trucks are sold to those making under 28K/year.

Unless there's consistency in thought - it's just media hype.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    No one would pay full market rent knowing that 40% of the people in your building are likely going to steal from you, not maintain their units and invite crazies into their complex.

While we're at it, we should apply the same sound logic to any car marker and company that received tax credits via any state/local level- we should demand that 40% of Cadillacs, Lincolns and Ram trucks are sold to those making under 28K/year.

With the news stories of people complaining about being gentrified out of their apartments, particularly seniors, your statement seems like a stereotypical generalization.

Thanks for informing us that virtually everyone eligible for affordable housing is a thief, lives like a pig and hangs around with crazies. Time to turn off Fox News.

A forty percent set aside is pretty high. However, given its prime location and the demand in midtown, I doubt the 60% market rate portion will go begging. Midtown, Inc. hardly has a poor track record on their developments.

Wow I think we have the winnerof the classist knob of the day. You wanna throw in some more stereotypes while you're at it?

I can't make any sense of this. If people finance your development on the basis that you provide affordable housing, you have to provide affordable housing, just as if you get tax credits for doing historic preservation, you have to do historic preservation. People usually give tax credits to car makers to keep plants open/build new plants/expand plants. They then have to do that, assuming that people hold them to their commitments, which they often don't do a very good job of.

public officials- you'd better start actively campaigning to bring better jobs to urban detroit. Same goes for all you so called "job creators" constantly looking for tax-incentive hangouts and banks that refuse to lend to minorities and urban-based projects.

Nothing much different in this coverage, but they do say actual construction is to start in 30 days.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/s...lding/30678876

When watching this it just begs the question... why not the Eddystone and Park Ave. Hotels??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When watching this it just begs the question... why not the Eddystone and Park Ave. Hotels??
    I'm going to take a WILD guess: It the Eddystone and Park Ave. Hotels were a block or two further away from the Arena [[say by Tempe/Cass), they stay. @ their current location: ?????????????

Thing of it this way, if Ilitch was designing the arena district from scratch, no way would they have old hotels in the middle of brand new construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    My GUESS: IF they were two blocks further away from the arena [[say near Temple/Cass), they'd most likely stay.

I wonder if the Ilitches want historic construction [[13 stories?) in the middle of new lower rise construction???????????

This is much different than say downtown where almost everything is old construction so if it is sound then it can be redeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    My GUESS: IF they were two blocks further away from the arena [[say near Temple/Cass), they'd most likely stay.

I wonder if the Ilitches want historic construction [[13 stories?) in the middle of new lower rise construction???????????

This is much different than say downtown where almost everything is old construction so if it is sound then it can be redeveloped.
    Hmmmmmm.... not necessarily.... the 17 story Wolverine Hotel and 8 story YWCA came down in the Comerica Park area.... they are only empty parking lots today... no reason they had to come down... except that the Ilitch's aren't adept at adaptive reuse.... just slash and raze...

That's a generalized statement and plain wrong. What about people who work 2 jobs to support their family. Just because you don't have much doesn't mean you are a criminal.

On a side note the LIHTC received for this project are probably one of the main reasons it is even happening. These credits help spur development and are an alternative to section 8 housing. On the flip side you have to offer X amount of units for x amount of years for low income residents.

Overall its a win win

More details about the project, the parking bit is interesting since that's been an issue for some projects getting financed in the past.

"The defining character of this building is that it's a doughnut-shape building," he said. "There is a courtyard in the center of the building with this big glass skylight. That will be a garden room and community space. It will be a cool vintage 1920s garden lobby."

Retail on the ground floor is expected to include a fitness center, a dog groomer and other boutiques. Atkinson cited the Auburn development on Cass Avenue as an example of the retail mix. Cass Corridog,Source Booksellers and Patrick Thompson Design, among others, call that spot home.

The Strathmore won't feature on-site parking, but MBS has cut deals with or acquired neighboring parking lots for residents' use. Being less than a block from the new M-1 Rail project also helped convince funders that having on-site parking wasn't a deterrent to the deal.

"That's the momentum that pushed the project over the edge," Atkinson said. "Funders see that you're close to public transportation, so you don't need a car and a half for each unit.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...dern-amenities

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    public officials- you'd better start actively campaigning to bring better jobs to urban detroit. Same goes for all you so called "job creators" constantly looking for tax-incentive hangouts and banks that refuse to lend to minorities and urban-based projects.

Was Hypestyles hacked by Danny?

I cannot make sense of this gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    More details about the project, the parking bit is interesting since that's been an issue for some projects getting financed in the past.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...dern-amenities
    It just makes so much sense, and I'm sure advocates have been screaming this for more than a century.

This place is gonna end dragged into the next century kicking and screaming but it might finally get there.

I never knew that the building had that inner courtyard. I'm not sure that I'd call it "doughnut shaped" unless there are square doughnuts.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...69824a9cd65ef3

drove by it earlier tonight. windows on the top two or three floors were installed when i was going by!! ... and all the lights were lit on those floors... looked great to see a preview of what is to come!

i'll try to get a pic in the next few days or if someone else walks/drives by to do so

When windows are restored in a vacant and vandalized building - at least quality, period appropriate windows - its like you can see the building coming to life before your eyes. I hope someone can post some pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    When windows are restored in a vacant and vandalized building - at least quality, period appropriate windows - its like you can see the building coming to life before your eyes. I hope someone can post some pics soon.
    i agree! i'll try to get some pictures tonight. it really makes a huge difference. i also really cannot WAIT for the graffiti to be cleaned off of it too. Once the graffiti comes off I think we'll really see a world of a difference.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  43.6 KB

Picture from this morning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast