Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Fashion icon John Varvados opening up store in Detroit.

He's a world known designer with 17 stores across world. I got this info off of a news reporter's twitter.
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...medium=twitter

Last edited by getmoore; October-22-14 at 07:16 AM.

i'll be damned... some of the first real clothing retail downtown... awesome news! excited to see who else gilbert is luring downtown with the M1 rail going in, etc etc

I would imagine he's also going to be lining up quite a few tenants for his hudson block development.. exciting times!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i'll be damned... some of the first real clothing retail downtown... awesome news! excited to see who else gilbert is luring downtown with the M1 rail going in, etc etc

I would imagine he's also going to be lining up quite a few tenants for his hudson block development.. exciting times!
    Correction: first real new clothing retail downtown

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i'll be damned... some of the first real clothing retail downtown... awesome news! excited to see who else gilbert is luring downtown with the M1 rail going in, etc etcI would imagine he's also going to be lining up quite a few tenants for his hudson block development.. exciting times!
    Let's hope that this store doesn't go through the red tape bull crap that the city put up and coming promising retail stores that want to open in the city. Move that liquor store off Woodward near John R or arrest the bums that hang around for vagrancy

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...5kdF_c.twitter

1500 woodward. it will be a 4,000 sf space. Right under Wright & Co. Opens Spring '15

Sounds great! How much for a pair of argyle socks?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Sounds great! How much for a pair of argyle socks?
    $50 per sock, minimum 3 pairs bought.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    $50 per sock, minimum 3 pairs bought.
    Try the sockman instead. He's on the overpass connecting Eastern Mark-Up to Gratiot. 12 pairs, $7.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try the sockman instead. He's on the overpass connecting Eastern Mark-Up to Gratiot. 12 pairs, $7.

That is cheaper than second hand [[or foot) at a thrift store. Worth it...

This summer I was shopping at a dept store in Montreal's downtown called Simons, and checked out this pair of shorts all crumpled and with added paint stains that were selling for 105$ on sale for 99$. They looked exactly like the ones I had just broken in and bought 5$ at a thrift store for work.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    That is cheaper than second hand [[or foot) at a thrift store. Worth it...

This summer I was shopping at a dept store in Montreal's downtown called Simons, and checked out this pair of shorts all crumpled and with added paint stains that were selling for 105$ on sale for 99$. They looked exactly like the ones I had just broken in and bought 5$ at a thrift store for work.
    Fashion icon canuck opening up store in Detroit.

Maybe time to change professions?

Now that's a pretty big deal.

Well. I would not be happy to be a member of the Forbes company today. This is a major blow to somerset.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Well. I would not be happy to be a member of the Forbes company today. This is a major blow to somerset.
    I'm sure the Forbes company shares your deep concern for their financial health...

Detroit [[the city) has fallen so far down the retail totem pole, it isn't even an item for discussion. There's essentially nothing. Detroit needs to have 10% of the retail of Jos. Campeau or East Dearborn before it can compete with viable retail areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm sure the Forbes company shares your deep concern for their financial health...

Detroit [[the city) has fallen so far down the retail totem pole, it isn't even an item for discussion. There's essentially nothing. Detroit needs to have 10% of the retail of Jos. Campeau or East Dearborn before it can compete with viable retail areas.
    And yet, here we are discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post

So What! Varvatos wants open a store in Gilberttown Detroit, so be it. People will be jam packing in his clothier just like folks jam packing in Apple Stores. Somerset Mall got all the Nieman-Marcus-like fancy clothiers in every floor. Detroit is where the action is.
    Last edited by Danny; October-22-14 at 01:22 PM.

Forbes was sitting right next to Gilbert when he made the announcement and he seemed fine with it. Keep in mind that Somerset and Forbes have a partnership in terms of Gilbert's downtown retail. Besides, I don't think there is enough available space for it at Somerset as of now.

If downtown Detroit wants to spur retail again, it will need to attract [[critical mass for one*) retailers not currently present in the Detroit market and entrepreneurs [[it sounds hipster-y, I know but mix is key). John Varvatos is a great addition to the downtown, native son and no store here, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. If we ever get an anchor, Bloomingdale's or Barneys. Perhaps Macy's should close Northland and Eastland and move downtown wishful thinking I know...

*Of course this is very much which came first, the chicken or the egg? Do we need crowds first or do the crowds follow the retail/entertainment/work, etc...anyways...

Good luck, John Varvatos!
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; October-22-14 at 09:03 AM.

Great news, despite me never having heard of this "icon" before.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Great news, despite me never having heard of this "icon" before.
    Yeah me neither. Icon is a totally overused word these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I'd agree, especially since he's only been in the fashion game for about a decade according to the news article.

Never the less, it's great to see someone with an actual fashion/clothing/retail background putting a brick and mortar store in downtown. I'm sure he will cater to a lot of the business class in Detroit and hopefully he is one of many to follow.

But $270 for a pair of jeans? Call me an idiot, but what makes a $270 pair of jeans better than a pair of $40 jeans from Kohls? I guess I'll just never understand the world of fashion....

But $270 for a pair of jeans? Call me an idiot, but what makes a $270 pair of jeans better than a pair of $40 jeans from Kohls? I guess I'll just never understand the world of fashion....
    OK. You're an idiot.
    That being said, I was thinking the exact same thing. So I guess if you're destined to go thru life being an idiot, at least you've got good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    OK. You're an idiot.
    That being said, I was thinking the exact same thing. So I guess if you're destined to go thru life being an idiot, at least you've got good company.
    And a pair of $40 jeans with pockets full of money.

Having owned pairs of expensive jeans, I can say the construction and materials is fantastic and they last FOR FOREVER. However, whether that cost is worth it to you is a whole different game. I'll buy an expensive pair of jeans [[80-150) once every few years, but mostly stick to Levi these days. Also don't make fun of people who enjoy sinking their money into clothes too much. Everyone has their hobby/interest/passion, and some people enjoy fashion or denim or lord knows what. They are usually the ones laughing at your pleated khakis too.

I'd agree, especially since he's only been in the fashion game for about a decade according to the news article.
    He's only had his own label since the late 90s. Before that he was high level management at Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Surprised no one has brought this up yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzspPi3jkE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast