Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    It would seem to me that this is a pretty big business gamble for the designer. Can a store that sells high end fashion really make it in downtown Detroit?

he does have some items that are considered 'high-end' ... a la 200 dollars for t-shirts

but also has some lines that are much more affordable and not considered 'high-fashion' by any means

t-shirts/ button downs/ sweaters can be had for anywhere between 60-100 bucks

i think he's going to do great down here

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    It would seem to me that this is a pretty big business gamble for the designer. Can a store that sells high end fashion really make it in downtown Detroit?

If he's not paying any rent it can. Just like stores need loss leaders so do Gilbert's buildings. Just a hunch.

It is a gamble , but several high gamblers are putting their money where their mouths are,
    The places I mention have done their home work , and have a pretty good idea what they are doing .
    Not to say it might not work out , but with this many players in the game something is up .

I think he "could" do very well downtown if things keep going in the direction they are .

And what's really great is CHICAGO , doesn't even have one ! HA !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; October-22-14 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i'll be damned... some of the first real clothing retail downtown... awesome news! excited to see who else gilbert is luring downtown with the M1 rail going in, etc etcI would imagine he's also going to be lining up quite a few tenants for his hudson block development.. exciting times!
    Let's hope that this store doesn't go through the red tape bull crap that the city put up and coming promising retail stores that want to open in the city. Move that liquor store off Woodward near John R or arrest the bums that hang around for vagrancy

I went to high school with John. We had a huge class, so a lot of us were nobodies. Guys like him and me were considered least likely to succeed. Hey, looks like I won!

anonJD Guest

So Somerset was full and he was given free rent?

JV sold out to VF Knitwear a few years ago, then they sold the majority interest to another conglomerate. I think John is more like a figure head these days.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Great news, despite me never having heard of this "icon" before.
    Yeah me neither. Icon is a totally overused word these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I'd agree, especially since he's only been in the fashion game for about a decade according to the news article.

Never the less, it's great to see someone with an actual fashion/clothing/retail background putting a brick and mortar store in downtown. I'm sure he will cater to a lot of the business class in Detroit and hopefully he is one of many to follow.

But $270 for a pair of jeans? Call me an idiot, but what makes a $270 pair of jeans better than a pair of $40 jeans from Kohls? I guess I'll just never understand the world of fashion....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    But $270 for a pair of jeans? Call me an idiot, but what makes a $270 pair of jeans better than a pair of $40 jeans from Kohls? I guess I'll just never understand the world of fashion....
    OK. You're an idiot.
    That being said, I was thinking the exact same thing. So I guess if you're destined to go thru life being an idiot, at least you've got good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    OK. You're an idiot.
    That being said, I was thinking the exact same thing. So I guess if you're destined to go thru life being an idiot, at least you've got good company.
    And a pair of $40 jeans with pockets full of money.

Having owned pairs of expensive jeans, I can say the construction and materials is fantastic and they last FOR FOREVER. However, whether that cost is worth it to you is a whole different game. I'll buy an expensive pair of jeans [[80-150) once every few years, but mostly stick to Levi these days. Also don't make fun of people who enjoy sinking their money into clothes too much. Everyone has their hobby/interest/passion, and some people enjoy fashion or denim or lord knows what. They are usually the ones laughing at your pleated khakis too.

Also in before "This store will totally fail because it is located outside of the urban oasis of Birmingham. Anyone who thinks any high end retail can exist outside of Birmingham doesn't understand economics and should be taken out back and shot" Bham1982 post.

I'd agree, especially since he's only been in the fashion game for about a decade according to the news article.
    He's only had his own label since the late 90s. Before that he was high level management at Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Surprised no one has brought this up yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzspPi3jkE

To heck with those $40 jeans. give me the $20 jeans from Meijer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Surprised no one has brought this up yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzspPi3jkE

Does it have fine Corinthian leather?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Does it have fine Corinthian leather?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o
    And now I want to buy a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba.

I wish him well, and hope his store opening attracts a Kohl's!

Curious. Well, for those who can genuinely afford it, kudos.

This is good news for sure. Detroit needs every thing we can get. Just too bad some of us locals can't find dime one to start a new business here.

If you haven't been down there, it's pretty interesting to see the construction wall in front the building with the John Varvatos name and fashion pics adorning it. Something I've seen either at the mall or in a "real" city. It's exciting to see it downtown.

That's all, thought I'd think out loud.

Great news! I hope that it draws more businesses like it on the strip. Does anyone know where Restoration Hardware will open?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2