Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone remember the gas wars that were common. A gas station on every corner would compete. The least I paid was 13.5 cents. Had an old 1967 VW beetle beater. Could drive for weeks on a buck of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Anyone remember the gas wars that were common. A gas station on every corner would compete. The least I paid was 13.5 cents. Had an old 1967 VW beetle beater. Could drive for weeks on a buck of gas.
    Gas wars are definitely a thing of the past, especially when you see on the news that a gas station owner will walk across the street and gun down another owner for selling gas for a penny less.

I think they would be more common today if society wasn't so completely fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Gas wars are definitely a thing of the past, especially when you see on the news that a gas station owner will walk across the street and gun down another owner for selling gas for a penny less.

I think they would be more common today if society wasn't so completely fucked up.
    I think people have finally realized that driving a few miles to save 5 cents a gallon uses $2.00 worth of gas. Plus all the bullshit that happens anytime people form one long line to use 4 gas pumps just ain't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    I disagree. Compared to when gas was almost 4 bucks a gallon, on a 12 gallon fill up, I saved almost 10 bucks. At that price, which is not sustainable, over a year that saves me over 500 bones a year. Now, that may be chump change to folks like you, but for me and my family, that means clothes for a growing family and maybe, just maybe, a family night out -- which would pump some dough into the local economy. Please note that, no matter how hard the local gas station owners force me to walk into their store because the only have one [[yes, one) gas pump with a working debit card reader, my saved money will not be pumped into the local gas station dealers pockets. They can Argo fuck themselves.
    WHOA!!! BACK OFF THE HATE HERE!!!
    First of all, I am nowhere near wealthy, so lose that misconception right off. I have a growing family as well. I wasn't talking about comparing prices from the spring or last year when they were $3.80 and up per gallon. I'm talking about recently from week to week when they've varied from 3-7 cents per gallon lower each week and from station to station where the prices vary from 1 to 15 cents. I truly don't think you will save $500 a year unless you can consistently save $10 per week on gasoline. You can't do that. You, yourself acknowledged it's not sustainable. The market & production make the price vary all the time. Plus, the summer blend automatically jacks the price up every spring. We're not getting some awesome savings that we psychologically think we are. I'll give you an example. I remember in the mid 90s when gasoline was first hitting $2/gallon. In my neighborhood, every station was at $2 plus except one Speedway station that was still $1.99. The Marathon station directly across the street was $2.01. Speedway was jam packed full of people wanting to pay 2 cents less. With my 15 gallon tank, I would save 30 cents by waiting in line and filling up at Speedway. 30 cents isn't that much of savings to realize. I can't even buy a candy bar or newspaper for 30 cents. Yet folks were willing to wait up to 20 mins to get at a pump. I know because I was one of them at Speedway. However, had I gone to Marathon across the street, which was empty, I could've spent an extra 30 cents & been on my way instead of wasting my time waiting in line at Speedway.

Look around Detroit and you can see why gas is less than $3/gallon.

Everyone is broke.

Detroit = coming soon to a town near you ...

Same story here...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2