Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Seeker of doom and gloom? Dude, this is reality. Recessions are a natural part of the economy. But Detroit gets hits by recessions particularly hard, for whatever reason. And every time Detroit get hits by a recession it never seems to recover to where it was before. This has been true in Detroit since the middle of the 20th century.
    In case you have not heard, the auto industry in Detroit is no longer our bread and butter. Every year the area becomes more diversified. Some recessions hit us harder than others. With each passing year the economy is less automotive and more tech. I hope we do not lose any more auto industry jobs but it will certainly not grow much. What most successful cities have that are drawing college graduates is a lot of different job types [[diversified). Most college grads are not looking to work on the line at Ford's, and those are the jobs that we had lost. Unfortunately each manufacturing job spins off 3 service or other manufacturing jobs and that is what tanked us in the past. We have no idea when the next recession will hit nor do we have any idea how bad it will be. We do however know that we need to diversify our workforce and that is currently happening.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    In case you have not heard, the auto industry in Detroit is no longer our bread and butter. Every year the area becomes more diversified. Some recessions hit us harder than others. With each passing year the economy is less automotive and more tech. I hope we do not lose any more auto industry jobs but it will certainly not grow much. What most successful cities have that are drawing college graduates is a lot of different job types [[diversified). Most college grads are not looking to work on the line at Ford's, and those are the jobs that we had lost. Unfortunately each manufacturing job spins off 3 service or other manufacturing jobs and that is what tanked us in the past. We have no idea when the next recession will hit nor do we have any idea how bad it will be. We do however know that we need to diversify our workforce and that is currently happening.
    The largest employers in Metro Detroit consists of the Big 3, their suppliers and government jobs.

Then there's Health Care, which depends on [[you guessed it) the Cadillac Health Insurance plans the Big 3 workers and Government workers get. And when those Big 3 jobs are lost, that leads to a decrease in tax revenue for governments and the loss of health insurance for those workers, which means layoffs for the government and health care workers due to the decrease in demand.

So that doesn't seem like a very diverse nor sustainable economy to me...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So that doesn't seem like a very diverse nor sustainable economy to me...
    The past alone does not determine our future. If that was true then Germany would still be run by Nazis and Detroit would still be a trading post for trappers.

I don't disagree with you. I pointed out that we are becoming more diverse and that many of the manufacturing jobs lost in the last recession are most likely not coming back.

The big question is how diverse will our economy be by the time the next recession hits? The next question is how hard will the recession hit the sub-economy of Detroit? We don't know these things, all we can do is work at trying to improve job diversity and quality of life issues around here.

Yeah, lets dump all the suppliers and car companies and tell them to get lost so we can have more bar and coffee shop jobs.

All this article tells me is that we are finally on the right track. It's way to early to get out a ruler and start comparing us to other places. Nobody has been where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    That may be so, but if 10 of your friends moved in while 20 other college-aged residents moved out, there was still a net loss. Not to mention if many people might have lost their condo/home if it got foreclosed on between 2008 and 2011.
    You're very close. Out of the 20 or so friends and acquaintances of mine that moved to the city from 2000 to 2005 a few still live downtown and a few others lost their homes to foreclosure and the rest left the state altogether. I know some people freak when I say this but I don't understand how people can be so upbeat about what is happening right now and so dismissive of what happened in the 00's in the city leading up to the Super Bowl. I wish I had the full list of building rehabs and new construction that occurred during this time but I don't. I think a lot of it has to do with certain groups of people that simply didn't experience the city until recently. In their minds, since they weren't involved it couldn't have been relevant but the reality tells a different story. Oh well, yet another reason I need a time machine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2