Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Hudson's Block

Default Hudson's Block

Does any one have any information as to when Bedrock will reveal the architect and design renderings for the Hudson Block?

Still kinda curious why this hasn't taken off like other Gilbert projects. His timelines are usually very tight and specific.

Well usually when he announces the project, the groundbreaking is within a month, he announces when he's ready to go and doesn't give us the whole 'Spring of 2018' bullcrap that most projects announced do.

hell look at the corktown project he announced.. they broke ground that DAY

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Still kinda curious why this hasn't taken off like other Gilbert projects. His timelines are usually very tight and specific.
    Well, this project seems like it'd be by far the most expensive [[$100 million plus?). Plus, this will be Gilbert's "statement" project for decades to come - cutting edge architecture that he is aiming be be a focal point of downtown.

I'm not particularly surprised in the delay. If they are going residential, they may be waiting for demand to continue to grow. If office, they may be trying to lure a huge company to take the space as a headquarters.

Nonetheless, would be nice to hear an actual update from them...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    1. It is more important to shore up the smaller buildings that we can while we can as opposed to building new square feet that will compete against the current marketplace.
    2. It is going to be no small endeavor getting enough businesses to sign off on leases for a space of this magnitude.
    3. It won't be cheap and involves considerably more financial risk.
    4. Ask Meridian Health why they opted not to build more square feet.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    1. It is more important to shore up the smaller buildings that we can while we can as opposed to building new square feet that will compete against the current marketplace.
    I'm under the impression that there is a shortage of Class A office space downtown. If that's the case, how will a new building be competing against the existing market?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I'm under the impression that there is a shortage of Class A office space downtown. If that's the case, how will a new building be competing against the existing market?
    it's still reported at about 20% vacant. [[I think real numbers are a touch higher) I mean, Comerica tower might be half full? Awful lot of empty floors in there.

There is a shake up coming. I really don't think many understand just how spread out over multiple buildings QL and the QL related entities are. It's being slow walked for a reason. If all that heads under one roof in a new build, it's going to leave huge amounts of empty space in it's wake [[much like meridian would leave the E&Y and 1001 Woodward 3/4 empty to move across the street ot a newly built building) .... and of course all of the new offices, retail and residential of the Little Ceasars Playland will be coming online in the next 2-4 yrs..[[*snork)

One thing the CBD doesn't need is a rush to build a bunch of new space.
    Last edited by bailey; October-20-14 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Well, this project seems like it'd be by far the most expensive [[$100 million plus?). Plus, this will be Gilbert's "statement" project for decades to come - cutting edge architecture that he is aiming be be a focal point of downtown.

I'm not particularly surprised in the delay. If they are going residential, they may be waiting for demand to continue to grow. If office, they may be trying to lure a huge company to take the space as a headquarters.

Nonetheless, would be nice to hear an actual update from them...
    i believe it is supposed to be mixed use so both residential and commercial. if you look at the design they liked most, it consisted of three towers built upon a retail pedestal. i wouldnt be surprised if something similar was designed.

i do agree that it would be nice to get an update. from what i recall they were talking about community involvement in the design process and i thought those things were supposed to start this past may. it may be a slower process than what was anticipated or dan may be waiting for a slower development news cycle. things have been buzzing lately with the m1 rail and illitchville, he may want all of the attention. my hope is that the delay is because it is going to be that much more ambitious but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    i believe it is supposed to be mixed use so both residential and commercial. if you look at the design they liked most, it consisted of three towers built upon a retail pedestal. i wouldnt be surprised if something similar was designed.

i do agree that it would be nice to get an update. from what i recall they were talking about community involvement in the design process and i thought those things were supposed to start this past may. it may be a slower process than what was anticipated or dan may be waiting for a slower development news cycle. things have been buzzing lately with the m1 rail and illitchville, he may want all of the attention. my hope is that the delay is because it is going to be that much more ambitious but we shall see.
    another fly in the ointment is the parking deck under the Hudson's site is on the table in the BK proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    was told that neumann/smith was to be the local architect way back when...not sure if that's relevant. though they did open a downtown office par to work on gilbert projects