Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I wouldn't call the People Mover damage minimal...

"When the J. L. Hudson Department Store building was imploded in October 1998, the nearby part of the track was damaged and forced the system to shut down. Before the track was completely repaired about a year later, limited service went into effect."
    Man was it that long?! For some reason I was thinking it was only a couple weeks. I was way off. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for parkland all the way to the bridge, I'd think that the Riverwalk, yes, would be this parkland, but plenty of develoment right off of it. Looking at the site plan, I'm sure part of the agreement with FGIC is the continuation of the Riverwalk through that property and around the Riverfront Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Man was it that long?! For some reason I was thinking it was only a couple weeks. I was way off. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for parkland all the way to the bridge, I'd think that the Riverwalk, yes, would be this parkland, but plenty of develoment right off of it. Looking at the site plan, I'm sure part of the agreement with FGIC is the continuation of the Riverwalk through that property and around the Riverfront Towers.
    At least one beam had to be replaced. Its not like they are stock parts, there are only two Bombardier People Movers, ours and Toronto's.

I don't suppose that FGIC is under any contractual obligation to hire Detroit residents for any of its proposed projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I don't suppose that FGIC is under any contractual obligation to hire Detroit residents for any of its proposed projects?
    No, but you can bet your sweet dupa that they will be paying their full freight when it comes to taxes!

So, does this mean no further Cobo Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    At least one beam had to be replaced. Its not like they are stock parts, there are only two Bombardier People Movers, ours and Toronto's.
    I thought it was Miami that had the other one? Or maybe they've changed it.

Also, I think I saw that this hotel would have a maximum height of 30 stories. If that's the case it would be a pretty significant addition to the skyline.

Why a maximum of 30 stories? why not 40 or 50? Go for 50.

Quote Originally Posted by LP_85 View Post
    Miami was not built originally built by Bombardier, different parts. It does use Bombardier cars now, but it is quite different. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metromover

The people mover itself has no chance of getting messed up should the Joe or Garage be taken down. It is not real close to either.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-19-14 at 09:26 AM.

F**k, lets just make it 90 stories and call it a day, right?

I'm still not sold on the need for additional hotel space downtown. We already have a few new hotels coming online soon. Yes, the major events and special weekends are crowded, but you'd think building a residential tower would be better then a hotel tower, as there is an incredible demand for it. This is not to say that it will be a combination of condos/apartments & a hotel, as we have no idea what the specific design is yet. But I'd doubt the building would be anything gigantic.

The one takeaway from these deals with Synacor and FGIC that I'm particularly curious about is with the land/real estate that was agreed upon, the old Statler and Tuller hotel sites were not included. Granted, they may have been offered with no bites, but I find it a bit strange [[and yes I know there is the proposal of apartments on the Statler site. Call me skeptical on that happening.) It's a shame the city doesn't own the Book Tower and could have thrown that in for redevelopment.

Lets build South China Mall!!!

The one takeaway from these deals with Synacor and FGIC that I'm particularly curious about is with the land/real estate that was agreed upon, the old Statler and Tuller hotel sites were not included. Granted, they may have been offered with no bites, but I find it a bit strange [[and yes I know there is the proposal of apartments on the Statler site. Call me skeptical on that happening.)
    Not sure why the city would offer up land it doesn't own. The city sold that land to Village Green and approved them for construction.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Not sure why the city would offer up land it doesn't own. The city sold that land to Village Green and approved them for construction.
    I wasn't aware the city had actually sold the land to the developer at this point. My mistake. I thought it was still just a proposal at this point.l

I wasn't aware the city had actually sold the land to the developer at this point. My mistake. I thought it was still just a proposal at this point.l
    when will the building start for the statler site project?

when will the building start for the statler site project?
    I saw them digging around that entire block last week. Don't know if it has started yet or not or if they are just sampling the earth that is there for engineering.

It'll probably start around next spring. This year is mostly just planning and pre-construction.

Quote Originally Posted by LP_85 View Post
    The People Mover is a Bombardier Innovia Metro, originally developed by the Urban Transport Development Corporation, owned by the Ontario government, later acquired by Bombardier. There are installations in Detroit, Toronto and Vancouver. Kuala Lumpur, Beijing, Yongin [[South Korea) and New York [[Airtrain JFK) use a newer version of the cars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2