Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Willi Guest

I call it like I see it in Post 74. No doubt many others will see the similarities.
    My opinion holds up just as much as any others - the voice of one.
    I express it, I own it, it is my opinion, and no amount of badgering will change it.
    Don't like my opinion, that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    If the graffiti "art" - in a public space - makes people feel uncomfortable, ill at ease, apprehensive, etc. does that not count in a similar way to distributing hate literature in a public space, hate speech via megaphone in a public place, etc.

A public space should be neutral where everyone feels safe, at ease, without controversy.
    Im satisfied that art makes you uncomfortable and apprehensive willi. One of the things i've always liked about graffiti is how it makes people like you feel, unsafe and upset. Your "opinions" are hysterical! Thanks for making me laugh.

Willi Guest

I feel just fine and go just about anywhere day or night Rex.
    Paint won't change my lifestyle or influence what I do.

IT DEFINITELY does not welcome ALL folks , and the numbers of people coming downtown would be much higher, if that "type" of art were not quite as prevalent and in-your-face as it is.
    In my opinion it is a dis-service , a detraction, from what the neighborhood could be.

Feel free to pedal your bike around Warren and talk to folks to see how comfortable they feel with the so called UBER family-friendly- vibe the art gives off. Get their impression first hand and personally regarding cultural expression that exists outside the conventional
    Last edited by Willi; October-19-14 at 04:33 PM.

I am reading
    THIS on a real monitor, in fact
    it is 24" LARGE
    AND features 1080 p's and isn't paid for on the backs of POOR, SWINDLED COLLEGE STUDENTS

No problem, did they throw you a jail release party ? Out on bond until the court date, huh ?
    Hey Motz, don't like my formatting on your teeny tiny cell phone screen - get a real monitor.

A few others see the real city as I do
    Yes, through
    the fog
    of the most annoying formatting
    ever witnessed
    on an internet forum

Willi Guest

Deal with it bro - I'm not going anywhere.
    ............................today
    .................................................. .....or the next day
    .................................................. ...................................you might catch it on the weekend
    or next month as well

DetroitBoy Guest

Default Hoodlums with spray cans and ghettoizing the neighborhoode.

Deal with it bro - I'm not going anywhere.
    ............................today
    .................................................. .....or the next day
    .................................................. ...................................you might catch it on the weekend
    or next month as well

People who create these murals in areas in crisis complete the task of transitioning a rundown neighborhood into a hood for the homeboys to run the streets because this is considered ghetto chiche. Spray can art belongs on the alley wall side of a garage. Not on main streets of revitalizing neighbors trying to attract families with children.

So...given that these tickets started going out last week, with a two-week limit to any possible clean up before building owners would get charged with some serious crimes against humanity...I have been expecting to see teams of clean-up crews employed all around town.

That WOULD have been the results of an effective law and policy to police it.

Please tell me someone has seen a clean-up, somewhere. I want to believe the Mayor's intent is being followed to the letter...dot and tittle.

I've even heard the F-term bantered about...who actually gets a felony ticket for graffiti? A midnight 'artiste' caught at work? The hapless building owner for not defending it? How about a few felony tickets for the cops who've been documented letting folks escape, like on my friend Scott's building on Gratiot?!

I cannot believe any of this warrants a felony charge, and any fees charged to the building owners are likely just a cash-grab unless they go directly to cleaning the graffiti the closest proximity to the property ticketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    So...given that these tickets started going out last week, with a two-week limit to any possible clean up before building owners would get charged with some serious crimes against humanity...I have been expecting to see teams of clean-up crews employed all around town.

That WOULD have been the results of an effective law and policy to police it.

Please tell me someone has seen a clean-up, somewhere. I want to believe the Mayor's intent is being followed to the letter...dot and tittle.

I've even heard the F-term bantered about...who actually gets a felony ticket for graffiti? A midnight 'artiste' caught at work? The hapless building owner for not defending it? How about a few felony tickets for the cops who've been documented letting folks escape, like on my friend Scott's building on Gratiot?!

I cannot believe any of this warrants a felony charge, and any fees charged to the building owners are likely just a cash-grab unless they go directly to cleaning the graffiti the closest proximity to the property ticketed.
    There was some clean up going on south of Alter, on Mack and also Jefferson. A few lawns were mowed, too. It was encouraging. Graffiti looks like shit. Penalties should be limited to doing the clean-up.

Good to hear...I drive through there nearly every day, alternating with Charlevoix.

The Cow Head was cleaned weeks before this action, though. Duggan doesn't get to claim that in his victory lap!

I agree about the penalties.

Willi Guest

Cameras surveillance or is that beating up on the down trodden poor artist folk in the D ?
    Facial recognition is for the movies and simply doesn't work well in real life, but by putting it up on YOUTUBE so everyone can see the body type, height, weight, etc. it creates leverage.
    Social media can a very powerful entity, and some vandals are repeat offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    This situation is a perfect example of why I really like Mayor Duggan.

Illegal graffiti tagging is rampant in the city, and it has been tolerated and allowed to persist for years, at the expense of city residents and business owners.

Mayor Duggan is right to enforce the laws against vandalism in the city. In this specific case, tickets were mistakenly issued to people who were painting legally, with the permission of the building owners. The mayor was quick to come out and acknowledge that these specific tickets were issued in error, he apologized for the oversight, and rescinded the fines.

This is exactly how things are supposed to work. If a citation is issued in error, then it is promptly rescinded and rectified. There is clearly no war against public art or murals, but there is an effort to stop illegal tagging vandalisam, which is justified and correct.

There is a big difference between a graffiti mural done with the blessings of the property owner, and tagging vandalism. I appreciate a sweet graffiti mural in the Dequindre Cut, but I don't appreciate a graffiti vandal throwing up a sloppy tag on the front door of my home.
    This is the only sensible post in this whole thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4