Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I have NEVER been shy with my critique of this man, and only backed down when he won that magical write-in campaign because in our representative democracy of human beings...our leaders deserve respect until they prove otherwise. I was clear about my fears of lingering McNamarahood tendencies.

In my defense, though, I've been cooped up in the hospital for a few days...pumped up on steroids and heavy doses of albuteral...and haven't slept but 5 hours since Sunday morning. And the joint had worse food than prison! [[at least that 24-bed county lockup in Wyoming I visited a decade ago)

So...my comments stand until this is cleared up...GSCC is facing those $8000 worth of tickets, and I'd like to see the mayor earn back his capital M by publicly tearing them up on all the news channels. Maybe even find a way to promote the corridor with their amazing mission.

I'm easy to please, but obviously on a hair trigger for errant behavior.

Cheers!
    Well now, this seems to be cleared up.
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...r#.VD7vOvldWSo
    "Mayor Mike Duggan's administration admitted Wednesday that it made a mistake by issuing tickets to building owners -- particularly in the Grand River Creative Corridor [[GRRC) -- that had given permission to have murals painted on their buildings.
    Eric Jones, director of Detroit Buildings, Safety Engineering & Environmental Department, which issued the tickets this week, was reviewing all the tickets and expected to rescind most of those that were issued. No specific number was given, but he said there's no problem have art on the buildings so long as the owners give permission."

Tempest in a teapot.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...r#.VD70ZvldWYA

City Admits It Shouldn't Have Cracked Down on Grand River Creative Corridor Art

Mayor Mike Duggan's administration admitted Wednesday that it made a mistake by issuing tickets to building owners -- particularly in the Grand River Creative Corridor [[GRRC) -- that had given permission to have murals painted on their buildings.

Give Duggan credit. Now he's proven his value to the hipsters -- and got valuable press from Gannon that will help him in his run for Governor.

And none of this would have happened if he hadn't had the brilliant idea of creating a problem, only to prove that he's the solution. Brilliant.

Duggan for Senate.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; October-15-14 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fix oops

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Give Duggan credit. Now he's proven his value to the hipsters -- and got valuable press from Gannon that will help him in his run for Governor.

And none of this would have happened if he hadn't had the brilliant idea of creating a problem, only to prove that he's the solution. Brilliant.

Duggan for Senate.

Ooh, very Hegelian.

I was thinking about this earlier...wonder if the cops who wrote these controversial tickets have anything against the Mayor?! I'd love to learn the back story. Low-hanging fruit, incompetency, or revenge for some slight?!

No matter, at least now we know the Murals in Eastern Market are safe, and there'll not likely be any fines levied against the Dequindre Cut officials.

So...done before the end of the day. OK, taking the reins contains a learning curve. Kinda like the dynamics of the bus situation.

Cheers!

Whether you care about the GRCC or not, FINALLY someone after 40 years who cares about the city ordinances! Duggan for president.

Why does there need to be a controversery with this? Cops who want revenge? Really? Maybe it's actually just a MISCOMMUNICATION. Everyone is so cynical and pessimistic these days.

Yea. I get it. This is Detroit and you can't take a lot of things for face value around here. But for what Duggan has done so far in working with council and Kevyn Orr, as well as implementing a lot of good initiatives so far, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Why does there need to be a controversery with this? Cops who want revenge? Really? Maybe it's actually just a MISCOMMUNICATION. Everyone is so cynical and pessimistic these days.

Yea. I get it. This is Detroit and you can't take a lot of things for face value around here. But for what Duggan has done so far in working with council and Kevyn Orr, as well as implementing a lot of good initiatives so far, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point.
    Point taken. I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, but obviously will be ready to take it back on a moment's notice.

But to your first questions...this is from MC Muckraker:

Detroit police still won’t comment on their role. Four officers last week detained Weaver, a muralist and several others for about an hour over a mural that was being painted with permission. The cops temporarily seized cameras from a PBS film crew that was documenting the muralist.
    There is more to this story, and until the bad seeds [[or stupid ones) in the DPD are rooted out, we will continue to suffer injustices...or merely mistakes. No matter, these end with mis-application of power at the least and the deaths of the next generation at the worst. I am lumping them together because there is a lingering epidemic within the DPD that must be cured.

IF Duggan is 'the man', he will get this done, too.

Sincerely,
    John

Point taken. I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, but obviously will be ready to take it back on a moment's notice.

But to your first questions...this is from MC Muckraker:

There is more to this story, and until the bad seeds [[or stupid ones) in the DPD are rooted out, we will continue to suffer injustices...or merely mistakes. No matter, these end with mis-application of power at the least and the deaths of the next generation at the worst. I am lumping them together because there is a lingering epidemic within the DPD that must be cured.

IF Duggan is 'the man', he will get this done, too.

Sincerely,
    John
    The epidemic, as you put it, are the a-ho taggers that continue to deface the City making it less likely to be inhabitable. Did you have the same venom for Gilbert when he decided there was enough of that crap in Midtown?

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Let's face it, the DPD is a joke. I'm sure there are some good people serving there, but as a department it's a joke. No matter what the letter of the law people say, you look silly when you're getting tough on street art while violence and serious crime continues to spin out of control. Even John Oliver took some pot shots at the DPD: http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arch...-the-caid-raid .

The city is still littered with obvious crack houses, but it's good to know the CAID will never throw a party without all the proper permits.

Boom! Nailed it! #CAIDRAID

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    The graffiti "art" is just made up bullshit, like Ebonics.
    People, black and white, regard it as a sign of limited education or sophistication
    So hold on... large swathes of people agree that the murals in the GRCC are art, yet because you are Willi, typer of terribly formatted posts and maybe possible graduate of WSU, this is no longer considered art and is just nuisance vandalism that was vandalized on to the side of buildings with the owners consent? I'm extremely confused how you, and others, seem to deem yourselves the deciders of what is art, what is the best way for a University to spend money that was given to them for a specific purpose, etc.

This is art, whether you like it or not. This is artwork that many people, especially younger people, enjoy. It suddenly doesn't become art because you don't enjoy it or think that it's an eyesore. I think tons of things are eyesores and terrible, but they have every right to exist just as these murals do. Art is subjective, as is aesthetics and any other visual aspect of our world. You need to learn to tolerate, or ignore, that which you don't agree with and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The epidemic, as you put it, are the a-ho taggers that continue to deface the City making it less likely to be inhabitable. Did you have the same venom for Gilbert when he decided there was enough of that crap in Midtown?
    HT, you need more coffee. What the hell did Gilbert ever do in Midtown?! My venom...if you wish to contain it to that term...is reserved for the negative stuff he does...the seniors displaced without any consideration, the current land-owners he bullies to give up buildings within his target blocks, the despoiling of historic structures, the chasing after tax and inspection breaks [[which serve only to steal from a bankrupt city, no billionaire deserves any further discounts from what regular people must pay...let alone the efforts and time they endure to get through developmental red tape).

Besides, what does any of that have to do with this?! Why are you attempting to deflect honest critique of the Mayor...are you now on his payroll, too?!

LOL

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Boom! Nailed it! #CAIDRAID
    As much as I sympathize with the sentiment, that is old news that Duggan had NOTHING to do with...but he would gain loads of good karma, if not direct support and even friendship, if he would force the police department to make good with Aaron Timlin and return all of the property seized during that illegal raid, or the true value plus interest in cash...plus refunding all of the towing and impound fees charged, and expunging all tickets written. Even the ones earned...since they were only discovered due the illegal raid.

Timlin won HUGE in court, it is legal record...but the city has never made good on its theft, as far as I know.

Cheers!

HT, you need more coffee. What the hell did Gilbert ever do in Midtown?! My venom...if you wish to contain it to that term...is reserved for the negative stuff he does...the seniors displaced without any consideration, the current land-owners he bullies to give up buildings within his target blocks, the despoiling of historic structures, the chasing after tax and inspection breaks [[which serve only to steal from a bankrupt city, no billionaire deserves any further discounts from what regular people must pay...let alone the efforts and time they endure to get through developmental red tape).

Besides, what does any of that have to do with this?! Why are you attempting to deflect honest critique of the Mayor...are you now on his payroll, too?!

LOL

Cheers
    You might of been under from surgery, or something else, but Gilbert had 3 young GP ladies arrested for spray painting stuff on one of his buildings. P/S, told you smoking that stuff would screw up your arteries. Glad to see your back with a vengeance.... for Dug-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You might of been under from surgery, or something else, but Gilbert had 3 young GP ladies arrested for spray painting stuff on one of his buildings. P/S, told you smoking that stuff would screw up your arteries. Glad to see your back with a vengeance.... for Dug-in.
    Thought that was DOWNtown...until Franklin Township, as far as I know, he doesn't own anything north of Illitchville, at least not patrolled by his thugs and surveilled by his electronic dragweb.

I was born with under-developed lungs, and have had difficulty with 'em all my life. This is the second time in fifty years I've been hospitalized, though, that last time was almost exactly half my lifetime ago.

I was impressed with the reactions to, and occasional agreement with, my full disclosure of my limited-but-persistent herbal usage with the healthcare professionals who saved my life, and tended to my gabby self afterwards. My attending physician has the patience of a saint...it was my honor to be his patient.

Gettin' on with life, whee! Gonna remember ol' Bill Hicks' advice every morning, I'm really going to enjoy the rest of this ride.
    Last edited by Gannon; October-16-14 at 09:34 AM.

Willi Guest

Duggan has a handle on catching all the homeless Schizophrenics, nice twist on politics !
    Just look for all the sharp edges, radiating energies, etc.

Attachment 24662

http://www.schizlife.com/artwork/

Just see who tagged what, ask on the street who took credit, since its all PUBLIC
    Wouldn't want a bunch of Schizophrenics without meds on the street of Grand River now would we ?

Attachment 24663
    Last edited by Willi; October-16-14 at 11:41 AM.

Duggan has a handle on catching all the homeless Schizophrenics, nice twist on politics !

Attachment 24662

Just see who tagged what, ask on the street who took credit, since its all PUBLIC
    Wouldn't want a bunch of Schizophrenics without meds on the street of Grand River now would we ?

Attachment 24663
    What are you even talking about at this point? I'm more worried that you are schizophrenic. You seem to dream up reasons for everything being in perfect agreement with your world view and you write like you've been off meds for a couple months. Are you implying that people who do consensual morals on properties are schizophrenic...? I'm confused as hell.

Willi Guest

We know your confused Motz...maybe your room mates can help you out with that.
    I hear WSU has those remedial English classes [[with tutor) for those that didn't get a GED.

UPDATE: City Backs off Fines Issued to GRCC Building Owners
    Jump to update ->
    ===================================

Well, now that he has all the reins of power, our Mayor is proving to be what I feared when he first showed interest in the job of leading the city of Detroit.

He is a fool and a liar and if this is the way he is going to go after so-called blight, he must go. Now. I don't even care who replaces him, as long as they weren't trained in the McNamara School of Political Thugs and Professional Criminals.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/1...tive-corridor/
    This situation is a perfect example of why I really like Mayor Duggan.

Illegal graffiti tagging is rampant in the city, and it has been tolerated and allowed to persist for years, at the expense of city residents and business owners.

Mayor Duggan is right to enforce the laws against vandalism in the city. In this specific case, tickets were mistakenly issued to people who were painting legally, with the permission of the building owners. The mayor was quick to come out and acknowledge that these specific tickets were issued in error, he apologized for the oversight, and rescinded the fines.

This is exactly how things are supposed to work. If a citation is issued in error, then it is promptly rescinded and rectified. There is clearly no war against public art or murals, but there is an effort to stop illegal tagging vandalisam, which is justified and correct.

There is a big difference between a graffiti mural done with the blessings of the property owner, and tagging vandalism. I appreciate a sweet graffiti mural in the Dequindre Cut, but I don't appreciate a graffiti vandal throwing up a sloppy tag on the front door of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I don't appreciate a graffiti vandal throwing up a sloppy tag on the front door of my home.
    We cannot get into the building, what did you do...give them a dossier full of shady characters to screen?!

I had a whole housewarming scheme designed for your first tag.

Not sure your neighbors would understand the Latin portion, though. So few people know the city motto.

Cheers!

We cannot get into the building, what did you do...give them a dossier full of shady characters to screen?!

I had a whole housewarming scheme designed for your first tag.

Not sure your neighbors would understand the Latin portion, though. So few people know the city motto.

Cheers!
    Us Detroiters have seen what happens when you Grosse Pointers run wild in the city, so we are now on the lookout for you people. I specifically told the building security guards to check everybody from the other side of Alter for cans of spray paint ;-)

Ha!

This situation is a perfect example of why I really like Mayor Duggan.

Illegal graffiti tagging is rampant in the city, and it has been tolerated and allowed to persist for years, at the expense of city residents and business owners.

Mayor Duggan is right to enforce the laws against vandalism in the city. In this specific case, tickets were mistakenly issued to people who were painting legally, with the permission of the building owners. The mayor was quick to come out and acknowledge that these specific tickets were issued in error, he apologized for the oversight, and rescinded the fines.

This is exactly how things are supposed to work. If a citation is issued in error, then it is promptly rescinded and rectified. There is clearly no war against public art or murals, but there is an effort to stop illegal tagging vandalisam, which is justified and correct.

There is a big difference between a graffiti mural done with the blessings of the property owner, and tagging vandalism. I appreciate a sweet graffiti mural in the Dequindre Cut, but I don't appreciate a graffiti vandal throwing up a sloppy tag on the front door of my home.
    Good post and to the point. Over the years things have been allowed to degrade so far, they've been accepted as the norm. The road to recovery is going to be slow, painful, and opposed.

We know your confused Motz...maybe your room mates can help you out with that.
    I hear WSU has those remedial English classes [[with tutor) for those that didn't get a GED.
    Check yourself Willi, I'M OUT.

Willi Guest

No problem, did they throw you a jail release party ? Out on bond until the court date, huh ?
    Hey Motz, don't like my formatting on your teeny tiny cell phone screen - get a real monitor.

A few others see the real city as I do

Attachment 24662

Attachment 24663

Who made you an authoritarian figure when it comes to street art/graffiti? You have NO idea as to what you are talking about, no really you have NO idea what you are talking about. Explain to me why you are comparing the artwork of a person with schizophrenia with that of a close friend of mine?
    Last edited by warsaw7; October-19-14 at 11:08 AM.

As much as I sympathize with the sentiment, that is old news that Duggan had NOTHING to do with...but he would gain loads of good karma, if not direct support and even friendship, if he would force the police department to make good with Aaron Timlin and return all of the property seized during that illegal raid, or the true value plus interest in cash...plus refunding all of the towing and impound fees charged, and expunging all tickets written. Even the ones earned...since they were only discovered due the illegal raid.

Timlin won HUGE in court, it is legal record...but the city has never made good on its theft, as far as I know.

Cheers!
    Ahh touche sir! I agree 100% with you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast