Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

In another state last year there was a 100 year old textile company that went under from legacy costs,they would be a nice fit with a fresh start and add 260 decent paying jobs,but that would not be cool because it seems the only thing that draws interest is some whacked out plan that puts wants in front of needs.

I guess that is the dilemma though,satisfying currant wants to make the city a interesting place verses providing the means for those who have needs.

Sometimes highest and best use for an old factory is as a factory,it seems the general public gets giddy about lofts and fancy floor space but at the end of the day who has the funds to make them profitable,it is politics,demand $15 per hour flipping burgers and that's what you get,makes thier job easy,just give them incentives and tax breaks behind the scenes and everybody is happy.

Demand jobs and you get jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In another state last year there was a 100 year old textile company that went under from legacy costs,they would be a nice fit with a fresh start and add 260 decent paying jobs,but that would not be cool because it seems the only thing that draws interest is some whacked out plan that puts wants in front of needs.

I guess that is the dilemma though,satisfying currant wants to make the city a interesting place verses providing the means for those who have needs.

Sometimes highest and best use for an old factory is as a factory,it seems the general public gets giddy about lofts and fancy floor space but at the end of the day who has the funds to make them profitable,it is politics,demand $15 per hour flipping burgers and that's what you get,makes thier job easy,just give them incentives and tax breaks behind the scenes and everybody is happy.

Demand jobs and you get jobs.
    Huh?? What?? With hundreds of empty buildings around the city in better shape than this one... I would think that at least ONE could have a funky use without people lamenting that it wasn't returned back to factory use instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Huh?? What?? With hundreds of empty buildings around the city in better shape than this one... I would think that at least ONE could have a funky use without people lamenting that it wasn't returned back to factory use instead.
    If it is in such bad shape and now becoming a fire hazard,maybe it is time to pull it down and wait for somebody to build there,maybe a nice parking lot would serve well.

Remind me how many 50,000 sqft and up manufacturing and warehouse buildings are left in the city proper?I guess I need to find a different source of information as thier list does not include 100s of advailable buildings meeting that criteria and by the city's own admission there are slim pickings.

If it is in such bad shape and now becoming a fire hazard,maybe it is time to pull it down and wait for somebody to build there,maybe a nice parking lot would serve well.
    Because what this city has is a shortage of is parking lots.

It's not a building that's well suited for modern industrial needs. If you're just doing some light industry then an industrial park somewhere is way cheaper, and if you need more substantial industrial space, fisher body's ceiling heights are too low, the structure probably can't hold all the super heavy equipment. The multi-floor set up gets in the way. There might be some things that could be done in the building, but they could be done much more cheaply in a million other industrial buildings.

The building's qualities are assets for "creative" uses, so as long as the numbers work out, that's what the building should be used for.

Remind me how many 50,000 sqft and up manufacturing and warehouse buildings are left in the city proper?I guess I need to find a different source of information as thier list does not include 100s of advailable buildings meeting that criteria and by the city's own admission there are slim pickings.
    A nice parking lot?? You got to be f**king kidding? For what? We have plenty of nice parking lots [[or cabbage patch) in much better areas [[Hudson's Statler, Tuller, Lafayette blocks).... that are still languishing for something better...

And yes... maybe you need to find a different source of information on available buildings to rehab... I couldn't find Fisher Body 21 on anyone's list... as I doubt by looking at this video... that Fisher 21 is on anybody's rehab list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMYZzFwKfeM

So if you don't like this building as a Techno music center... fine... but it's unlikely to ever be anything else except a crumbling ruin that no one has the funds to raze...
    Last edited by Gistok; November-21-14 at 03:58 PM.

The parking lot comment was me being sarcastic.The only good urban parking lot is one placed over a large and deep body of water.

I am into street cars and walkability which leaves little room left for parking lots unless they are park n ride placed in the burbs.

3 years ago everybody said the same about Packard word for word as mentioned here.100% sure how derelict it was with low ceilings,unsound ,bla bla bla.

I had the tests run for placement of a modern day high output solar panel line,that equipment was heavy and roughly start to finish 1/2 block long.Bottom line was the equipment was at 47% of the load capacity of the floors.

Nobody can look at something and say it looks like it will not work ,to much liability for guessing.

A case like Fisher would bode well,providing the experts approve,to handle 3 light manufacturing companies that share common shipping and other services that reduce costs.The only time you limit your options is when you close your mind and only see what is in front.

Personally I really could care less if it becomes a techno club,realistically it is not feasible,I can say that because my family was in the mega club business for years.My whole round about point was the reaction,the city should have stood up and said loud and clear about its goals to utilize what assets it still retains to promote job growth.

Just like the reaction here Tecno club cool ,the place reutilized to provide jobs and 100 reasons are posted as to why it should not happen.

A large percentage of the city population needs training and jobs to help support the city,it leaves two choices,one send them to the burbs or # 2 train and employ them,if it is not clear now it will never be and unless there is support shown for this growth it will not happen.

Hegemann will be here this weekend to talk about his plans for the plant.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...nn-111814.aspx

Are any D-Yes-ers planning on attending the meeting on the 29th. Would be good to hear what gets said, but I won't be there myself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3