Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    anonJD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    But, again, crime in many areas of the city is lower now than its been in decades. Certainly the case around here, and in most of the central city [[downtown, midtown, lafayette park, corktown, etc.). These areas are safer than they were even 20 or 30 years ago.
    No, they're not. I suggest taking a look at the per capita data. Perhaps very slight downtick from the crack era, but still extremely alarming.

anonJD Guest

Red lining? No. Employee safety, time to commute from burbs to Detroit proper, theft of tools, deadbeat customers [[get you out there, and then can't afford to pay)? Yes.

Yep. There are people out there who know the work and are equipped to stave off the thieves and deadbeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    You can look at this as a problem or an opportunity. This is a jobs opportunity in Detroit. Why worry about what the suburban appliance guy does. There's work. There's a market.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    You can look at this as a problem or an opportunity. This is a jobs opportunity in Detroit. Why worry about what the suburban appliance guy does. There's work. There's a market.
    This is great. I mean, you've got a built-in customer base of 700,000 people, with overwhelmingly older homes/stuff.

We run recommended handymen in our neighborhood newsletter and facebook group. We have a neighbor who is a former Marine who does lawns and odd jobs for a living and has become a neighborhood staple. The suburbs don't want our business? Well, fuck 'em. Like south Warren is the goddamn Hamptons or something.

My buddy that does appliance repair says the owner only takes Detroit calls when they absolutely have to. The risk of trucks/tools being stolen is too great. Mostly, however, he says the number of stiffs he gets is unbelievable. People will call you out with no intention on paying the service call fee but just want you to "take a quick look" and those that can't really afford to fix anything other than a bad fuse so once they get the diagnosis just stiff you entirely.

When someone calls about an appointment, once they get the Detroit address, they usually give a date a number of weeks out, enough to get the caller to hang up and go somewhere else. Redlining- not really. Choosing their customer base wisely based on their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    This is great. I mean, you've got a built-in customer base of 700,000 people, with overwhelmingly older homes/stuff.

We run recommended handymen in our neighborhood newsletter and facebook group. We have a neighbor who is a former Marine who does lawns and odd jobs for a living and has become a neighborhood staple. The suburbs don't want our business? Well, fuck 'em. Like south Warren is the goddamn Hamptons or something.
    There's only 1 Home Depot and no Lowe's to service those 700,000. So don't go blaming the suburbs for the business climate.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-13-14 at 02:18 AM.

I was a property manager for a company that had two detroit business locations one in Warren and a fabulous historic home in Detroit also. Totally true lots of companies don't Do Detroit. That said, I hope I can give you some practical info. Had a service contract with DTE for appliances. Actually did cancel that because it seemed what ever my problems were they were not covered under the contract. Check with them who services Detroit.

For the cost of repairs we found a used appliance store which I think is called Kathy's or Cathy's on eight mile, they restore and repair appliances on their site but might send a technician out?? Been happy with their prices and product. A one year warranty comes with their products but haven't had any problems.
    I agree with Poobert we have many area talented residents. We have that big old needy home and are not at all handy. Have quite a list of handymen, electricians, small machine repair, car repair etc folk that were recommended by local churches and neighbors. All great area people. Have a licensed area electrician that does side work coming today. Just tons of small things and we have a list so as not to waste his time.

Actually I resent the implication that Detroiters don't pay up. It is true that many homeowners are aging out. I like quotes and do pick and choose the right prices. We don't bother folks for projects we can't afford. Generally depending on services rendered and the talents of locals we pay up front for services and pricing for things down the road. Everything is up front and we pay on the spot. I have an excellent price on painting trim on our house from the guy who restored our garage. We have to save for that and he understands that it will most likely be late spring for that.I wouldn't bother him until we can pay and understand that we will be placed in order of other scheduling obligations.

That Great Guy Guest

If Governor Snyder could balance the state budget, Detroit would be no different then Dearborn, Livonia, Warren or any other city.

But he can't and does not know how. He is a nerd but does not have a good understanding of economics. People in Detroit don't have money, so this city is turned into another country and we protect Michigan's borders by building walls.

Jesus Christ is the answer.

Sumas:
    I live in EEV and am looking for an electrician, care to provide contact info for your guy? Looking to upgrade to 200 AMP service.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Sumas:
    I live in EEV and am looking for an electrician, care to provide contact info for your guy? Looking to upgrade to 200 AMP service.
    Salutations to EEV, grew up there and lived there again for 7 yrs to care for my Mom until 4yrs ago. Our son bought my Mom's house and my sister lives in EEV too. Such a great area!

I will ask our electricians permission to share his number and will forward it pending his agreement. He is just fantastic. In our area, homes are 100 plus years old. Recommended him to a neighbor whose house is older than ours and electrical's, a huge mess, they were very pleased too.

If a customer has an income well below the poverty line and an appliance that doesn't work, it
    is likely that he or she is going to call around for the best price to fix it. It is likely that there is at most fifty dollars on hand for the parts and labor. It is likely that assorted haggling techniques will be used, which feels better than just letting the appliance sit there broken.
    However many appliance repair firms are better off to not attempt a repair as the parts and labor will sometimes in the end be more than the customer is able to pay. The initial repair
    is made at near breakeven cost, but then often enough another problem comes up, and the customer really wants that too to be fixed so that the appliance is operational, and will be upset if it is not, even though there is no further money for it. The used appliance shops are
    in a way addressing this kind of situation.

Call a local handyman. I guarantee there are Detroit-based folks who do local calls. SW Detroit, with its immigrant population, has tons of handymen, some whom I would bet you would handle calls on the Eastside.

DHS of Mich used to pay for appliance repairs in the past. They would go in and get a voucher and we would fix or condemn the appliance within guidelines.

Once in a while I would come across a really nice home in suburbia with a fine car out front and they would have a DSH voucher. WTF!?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but redlining is the practice of not allowing minorities access to housing in certain areas.

In the case of redlining, you're not allowing a free person the choice of where they want to live.

In the case of appliance repair, not servicing high crime areas that have poor police response is more of a business decision\personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Sumas:
    CT:

I live in EEV. Years ago I had McGuire Electric upgrade my entire house. It was a mess. They were prompt and professional. The job cost around $1500. I had them look at a wall switch that was on the fritz as well. When they discovered that no work was needed, they refunded me the $20 for that. Very honest and friendly.

They had no issues working in Detroit, either. As a result, they made ~$1500 and a positive referral.

http://www.mcguireelectric.biz/

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    Red lining? No. Employee safety, time to commute from burbs to Detroit proper, theft of tools, deadbeat customers [[get you out there, and then can't afford to pay)? Yes.
    Yeah, I'm sure none of those things happen in the 'burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The reason given is that it's "too far". But I suspect there may be other reasons, since distance never stopped them before. However, if the reason is crime, I find that a little weird, since the crime/theft problem isn't bad around here at all these days.

It's certainly nothing like it was in the '80s and early '90s. I walk around here, and over to Belle Isle, all the time and its been years since I've had anything like a problem. And where Dad lives is a very nice building that is staffed with its own parking area that is off the street.

Anyway, I'd be happy if we could find someone closer who could reliably handle these repairs. Dad's dishwasher is a higher-end brand, but none of the supposedly company-authorized servicers will come here!! I wouldn't trust myself to work on this, and my 89 year old dad is not about to undertake his own repairs.
    EastsideAl, I wonder if you'd have better luck trying to find someone in Windsor?

Poobert:
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    DHS of Mich used to pay for appliance repairs in the past. They would go in and get a voucher and we would fix or condemn the appliance within guidelines.

Once in a while I would come across a really nice home in suburbia with a fine car out front and they would have a DSH voucher. WTF!?
    You aren't suggesting that people abuse the system, do you? If so, we can fix that by increasing taxes and funding for these programs to make sure everyone is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure none of those things happen in the 'burbs.
    Well, the commute from 'burb to 'burb will vary depending on each's location. It's a wildcard regardless.

Of course, it's the FREQUENCY of the other factors mentioned that affects ones business decision to service the city proper. Exceptions exist, but who has time to sift through the addresses looking for the GOOD customers in the GOOD locations.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    Jesus Christ is the answer.
    I did not know carpenters fixed washing machines! I think Jesus has more important things to do than to worry about me needing to go to the laundrymat. He helps those who help themselves.

Thank you very much to those who made recommendations and provided links. I will be looking into those.

But part of the problem here is that we're trying to have appliances and problems professionally repaired that may fall outside of the capabilities of a "handyman." It is infuriating to be given a list of factory-authorized service providers by the company that made your purportedly higher-end appliances, only to find that none of them will now come to your home. I've had a couple of not-so-nice exchanges with the manufacturer on this issue.

As for the DTE plan, since we both live in apartment buildings with central heating systems neither of us are eligible for it. Anyway, back when my parents had a house, their experience with the DTE programs was about the same as Sumas', with a fair amount of no-shows and shoddy work also.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-13-14 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but redlining is the practice of not allowing minorities access to housing in certain areas.
    You're wrong. You don't understand what redlining is.

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    No, they're not. I suggest taking a look at the per capita data. Perhaps very slight downtick from the crack era, but still extremely alarming.
    But that per capita data is deceptive, since the population is much less now. The actual occurrence of crime is lower, and downtown in particular is as safe as the centers of most other American cities.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-13-14 at 03:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast