Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Gosh, why would anyone waste time going to the DIA when there is so much free artistic beauty in the city to be seen?
    More class from Ray. Granted, when he started on DPD the city was booming and when he left it was crime ridden. If only we had merit pay for cops we wouldn't be subsidizing his existense in NV.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    People should not have to pay EXTRA for exhibits when the museum is supposedly free.
    One example - Fabergé exhibition at the museum definitely cost ordinary people an arm and a leg.
    This old ass argument again?

Obviously one can go into the DIA for free but at what point did anyone ever say they could have free reign to every corner of the place? There are exhibits that costs a small fortune to have shipped here so why shouldn't the organizers recoup some of that money through an additional ticketed cost? These are special exhibitions brought in by the DIA- but not solely owned by the DIA. No one is saying that you still can't enjoy the rest of the pieces that the DIA has.

And the way I "duck around" having to "pay" for these ticketed events is I donate at that certain level to the DIA and get my event tickets for free. Now I'm not one to tell you where you should donate your charitable monies, but this is my way of infusing some culture into my life and seeing some things I might never see.

Willi Guest

You know Thruster, with an annual operating budget of around $ 25 Million
    they need to jack the cost of admission UP for all
    Obviously some managers aren't being paid enough and need the increases immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Obviously one can go into the DIA for free but at what point did anyone ever say they could have free reign to every corner of the place?
    They advertised free unlimited admission in their mailers if we voted yes. One could interpret unlimited to refer to the amount of times you can go, or as referring to the completeness of access.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    They advertised free unlimited admission in their mailers if we voted yes. One could interpret unlimited to refer to the amount of times you can go, or as referring to the completeness of access.
    If you had free admission to the Zoo but had to pay to ride the train or for an ice cream cone, would you complain?

so is Brooks threatening to take all the artwork and set up a museum in Orchard Lake?

I guess my real complaint about Beal is that, for all the money he's making, maybe he could switch around some of the exhibits once in awhile. I'm sure some things have changed, but most of the museum appears to be the same from when the new wing was completed. For a museum with so much in storage, it's a crying shame.

LET US SEE THE ART, BEAL! I could stand to for a few less Renaissance portraits in exchange for a rotating exhibit of the DIA's massive backlog of art.

I'm always surprised no one else is bothered by this. The DIA might as well sell the art in storage given the institution's attitude about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If you had free admission to the Zoo but had to pay to ride the train or for an ice cream cone, would you complain?
    That analogy isn't a good one.

It would be like having "unlimited" admission to the zoo, but having to pay to go inside the polar bear exhibit.

I'm not necessarily upset about the DIA. I understand "unlimited" to mean the amount of times. But some people felt "unlimited" meant complete access.

That analogy isn't a good one.

It would be like having "unlimited" admission to the zoo, but having to pay to go inside the polar bear exhibit.

I'm not necessarily upset about the DIA. I understand "unlimited" to mean the amount of times. But some people felt "unlimited" meant complete access.
    I don't think that is a valid comparison. It would be like going to zoo and having to pay to see a special exhibit or some Jack Hannah type guy doing a talk..which is what the Faberge thing was. No one is paying extra to view the Rivera Court. I mean you can't go to the DFT without paying either.

I'd also like to point out that Mr. Beal could likely make double what he is now making at the DIA if he put himself on the market in the private sector.

Trust me, I've made the move from non-profit to for-profit and I'm no Graham Beal and Jesus Christ...for the work they do, they'd get paid much more "on the outside"

I bet the guy who ran the Detroit Science Center into the ground would work for half of what G. Beal is making. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'd also like to point out that Mr. Beal could likely make double what he is now making at the DIA if he put himself on the market in the private sector.

Trust me, I've made the move from non-profit to for-profit and I'm no Graham Beal and Jesus Christ...for the work they do, they'd get paid much more "on the outside"

I bet the guy who ran the Detroit Science Center into the ground would work for half of what G. Beal is making. Just saying.
    I doubt that. If he could make more in the private sector, then he would. Very few people come here from the outside to work just because they love the City and its Art Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    But much of what taxpayers are paying for is going towards exactly what they were told it was going to go towards: salaries, endowments, preservation, free entrance, etc. I don't feel lied to. Just like when I rarely shop at Wal-Mart I know my money is going towards making the Walton family wealthier, a reason I rarely/never shop there. But I'd rather give my money towards the DIA, salries, endowments, et al because at least I know I'm supporting a fantastic museum supported by competent people. Millions of dollars isn't going towards these two people's salaries. Thousands of dollars is. Small amount in comparison to what the tri-counties are giving.

The value of the DIA is on par to what other museums are around the US, so it is an average compensation of our curator and the people that work there.
    I enjoy jousting with people here to help me learn about myself and the world.

But DCL, its nice to see a rational post. Thanks.

The truth is that yes Lowell, the optics aren't great. But should we run the world on optics? Is that a world we want to live in?

DCL's point is that what we are seeing is in fact decent, appropriate, reasonable, and 'as advertised' management of a national-level asset in Detroit. Let them to a good job, and let's not take pot-shots at them. That's what's really happening. LBP suggests something is wrong here, because this man is now reasonably compensated? Optics be damned.

Vita Brevis Longa Ars

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I doubt that. If he could make more in the private sector, then he would. Very few people come here from the outside to work just because they love the City and its Art Museum.
    He's didn't take a front desk or Marketing bitch job. He's the CEO. He has incredible control over a major US Art Museum and its direction. As long as he's compensated fairly well, if this is his field and passion, he's going to keep this job.

Did you work in museums? I did. And you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Bham1982, you are so funny when you go off on one of your indignant rampages.... people don't take you too seriously... but you're funny nonetheless...
    Same goes for that Wesley Mouch kid, too!

Great post, poobert.

I think the sticking point in this argument is "unlimited". Some take it to have 24/7 access to ever inch of the DIA from floor to ceiling at their beck and call. Without that definition clearly stated one could argue that the DIA and the supporters weren't being deceptive at all.

I'm willing to take a much more pragmatic expectation of what "unlimited" means and that it doesn't mean I can scour every room of the DIA. "Unlimited" does not let me [[or the masses) have access to the storage facilities, the preservation labs, Graham Beal's office, the DFT, their parking lots or some other areas that doesn't make sense. Having outside special exhibitions brought in and having to pay a nominal fee is not out of the norm.

If Detroit is going to continue to maintain its incredible art museum, it will need to compensate its director at a rate competitive to what other comparable art museums in the USA are paying. These guys don't work in the local economy, they work in the national [[and international really) art world. Local economic considerations have little bearing in this world.

If Detroit is going to offer compensation to its DIA director that is a fraction of what other museums are paying, it won't be long before nobody qualified will take the job, and the DIA is done.

They should have waited a little. I mean when the city is bankrupt and is going to court everyday, you probably shouldn't be passing huge raises for yourself when the rest of us peons get 2-3% at most. Just give yourself a small raise here and there and when this stuff clears, then do the big raise so people don't care as much.

That Great Guy Guest

Top SMART Officials got Millions of dollars per year in pay raises. L Brooks Patterson has no problem with that because he gets his $1 Billion HOV lanes thanks to SMART Officials supporting this monster project where public safety is last and profits for the trucking industry is first.

That is what y'all get for voting in these taxes.

Second to last place is those who use SMART to get to work at $9.27 per hour jobs with drastic cuts in bus service.

The DIA, Zoo, TRU, MDOT, SEMCOG, the trucking industries all sleep in bed together and L. Brooks Patterson know this as much as he knows the difference between Black and White.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; October-12-14 at 08:31 PM.

Oh Lord.... Trainman has been reincarnated....

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Oh Lord.... Trainman has been reincarnated....
    Who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    If Detroit is going to continue to maintain its incredible art museum, it will need to compensate its director at a rate competitive to what other comparable art museums in the USA are paying. These guys don't work in the local economy, they work in the national [[and international really) art world. Local economic considerations have little bearing in this world.

If Detroit is going to offer compensation to its DIA director that is a fraction of what other museums are paying, it won't be long before nobody qualified will take the job, and the DIA is done.
    I've been to most of those museums listed in the article and IMO I dare say that the DIA is better than all of those other museums on the list with the exception of New York City's Metropolitan. I'd say we're on par with Chicago & Boston's art museums with variety and breadth of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post

Those mentioned in the article have both been at the DIA for more than a decade. Apparently their salary levels prior to the DIA receiving public funds were sufficient to keep them from going elsewhere. Seems a bit convenient to argue that the DIA risked losing them now due to their pay being non competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Clearly the right plan is to allow wages to be set by employers without much interference from do-gooders, and then provide a robust social safety net that is compassionate. By staying the hell out of the way [[as my friend John says), we will build a robust economy that will be good for all.
    And yet here we are, in a thread full of people complaining about wages set by an employer. Wages that are comparable to peers, for that matter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast