Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That's window dressing from Scherzer, he's gone. We might have a chance with V-Mart, and Torii is leaning towards retirement.
    I agree and do you really want to give Scherzer 24 million long term to go along with 28 mill for Verlander. It was only 2 yrs. ago everyone said giving Sanchez 16 mill was crazy. At some point this organization needs to start developing a few of its own players. For now, sign Martinez, maybe Hunter, find a good defensive centerfielder and platoon McCann at catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

I realize that Ilitch needs to pony up a lot of bucks for Scherzer and V-Mart - say another 20M / season.
    LOL. You won't have a chance in hell to get Scherzer at 20 million a season, and you think you can get Scherzer and VMart combined at 20? Try closer to 40 for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    LOL. You won't have a chance in hell to get Scherzer at 20 million a season, and you think you can get Scherzer and VMart combined at 20? Try closer to 40 for both.
    Sorry, if you missed what I was trying to say.

Pony up an additional 20M for Scherzer and V-Mart.

[I'll have to check my post but I might have referred to savings from not renewing Soria for 2015 [[as part of the 20M).]

I don't know if I posted it here, but I have V-Mart at around 18M and Scherzer at 28M for 2015 if they are coming back.

Sorry, if you missed what I was trying to say.

Pony up an additional 20M for Scherzer and V-Mart.

[I'll have to check my post but I might have referred to savings from not renewing Soria for 2015 [[as part of the 20M).]

I don't know if I posted it here, but I have V-Mart at around 18M and Scherzer at 28M for 2015 if they are coming back.

Here is my previous post which you missed or misread. It is clear, at least to me, that I indicated that Ilitch would need an extra 20M to satisfy the new contract demands of V-Mart and Scherzer.

Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid
    That's window dressing from Scherzer, he's gone. We might have a chance with V-Mart, and Torii is leaning towards retirement.

Doesn't Soria have a big contract?

Can't the Tigers decline the option and use much of those dollars to go toward V-Mart and maybe some for Scherzer.

IF Torii does retire that is another big chunk of dollars which would be available for for Scherzer and V-Mart.

I realize that Ilitch needs to pony up a lot of bucks for Scherzer and V-Mart - say another 20M / season.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I agree and do you really want to give Scherzer 24 million long term to go along with 28 mill for Verlander. It was only 2 yrs. ago everyone said giving Sanchez 16 mill was crazy. At some point this organization needs to start developing a few of its own players. For now, sign Martinez, maybe Hunter, find a good defensive centerfielder and platoon McCann at catcher.
    I pretty much agree with this.

Let Max walk away to the highest bidder, maybe resign Torii to a small 1 year contract as a platoon/bench player if he wants to come back for one more year, re-sign V-Mart for 2-3 more years, if the overall commitment isn't too expensive.

Then go out and get two solid set-up bullpen arms, an average/decent 5th starter, and a solid CF.

We don't need to add superstars, but rather a few decent guys who are upgrades from the cast-off and minor-leaugers that were out there every day this year.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I pretty much agree with this.

Let Max walk away to the highest bidder, maybe resign Torii to a small 1 year contract as a platoon/bench player if he wants to come back for one more year, re-sign V-Mart for 2-3 more years, if the overall commitment isn't too expensive.

Then go out and get two solid set-up bullpen arms, an average/decent 5th starter, and a solid CF.

We don't need to add superstars, but rather a few decent guys who are upgrades from the cast-off and minor-leaugers that were out there every day this year.
    The thing about developing your own is that they are cheap for a number of years.

IF Max leaves, the 5th starter will come from our own farm, I'd think, and be a pretty low salary guy.

That alone gets the aggregate salaries into line, I'd think.

The thing about developing your own is that they are cheap for a number of years.

IF Max leaves, the 5th starter will come from our own farm, I'd think, and be a pretty low salary guy.

That alone gets the aggregate salaries into line, I'd think.
    Yes developing your own is less expensive for a number of years, but sometimes you run into a situation where you spend a number of years developing them. Then they get decent just as they're eligible for free agency. Think Rick Porcello.

A 5th starter from the farm team? I'm thinking Lobstein.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Yes developing your own is less expensive for a number of years, but sometimes you run into a situation where you spend a number of years developing them. Then they get decent just as they're eligible for free agency. Think Rick Porcello.

A 5th starter from the farm team? I'm thinking Lobstein.
    You're spot-on. Porcello is a little different story in that he was a 1st round pick and a bonus-baby. His salary started a little higher than most. He also ascended to the bigs a little quicker than maybe he should have. I have a pretty high opinion of him. Seems to have a real nice head on his shoulders. I hope he's a Tiger for life.

As for the 5th starter, Lobstein impressed during the stretch run. I agree with you. Robbie Ray seems to need a little more time in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    You're spot-on. Porcello is a little different story in that he was a 1st round pick and a bonus-baby. His salary started a little higher than most. He also ascended to the bigs a little quicker than maybe he should have. I have a pretty high opinion of him. Seems to have a real nice head on his shoulders. I hope he's a Tiger for life.

As for the 5th starter, Lobstein impressed during the stretch run. I agree with you. Robbie Ray seems to need a little more time in the minors.
    I like Porcello as well. When other teams talk trade to the Tigers, his name is one of the first to come up. However, even though he probably had his best season this past one, he tanked near the end of it, losing his last 4 or 5 starts. Don't know why he did, but it was a disappointment to a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post

I agree with the both of you.

I'm not ready to write Robbie Ray off or slot him as a #5 starter, given his youth and inexperience.

For Ray, think 2016 and then maybe 2017 or 18 we can slot him as a MLB pitcher say #5 or #4 or even #3 starter, but we are talking say 3 more years of experience.

If Lobstein does fine as a #5 starter and we saved Scherzer's salary then those bucks can help balance the payroll or used to buy more depth.

The good news is that we are talking about a #5 starter while other teams are seeking help much higher up in the rotation.
    Last edited by emu steve; October-10-14 at 04:04 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3