Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Most experts on here would piss themselves and run to mommy if they went on some calls with the cops or fire dept.
    You got that right!

Chief Craig was at the local National Association of Black Journalists conference this weekend. He spoke about his career in general and he also spoke generally-- and very carefully-- about cases involving police shootings of suspects and civilians.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...-key/17108475/

From the article:

He added that this doesn't mean mistakes can't happen. He also said he gets frustrated when Detroiters focus on incidents of excessive force with police but do not speak out against the violent actions of their fellow residents.

"When is the community going to step up and stand up and say I am sick of the violence happening in our community?" he said. "It should not be OK. We should be vocal — as vocal as we are about police officers using excessive force."

"I do not believe, as the jury obviously did not believe, that this officer initiated an effort purposely to kill this child. I believe it was a mistake," Craig said in his first public comments on the case. "It's tragic. A tragic situation for that family and a tragic situation for the officer who has, frankly, suffered a lot behind it."

I think I said something similar in a post above.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    [B]"When is the community going to step up and stand up and say I am sick of the violence happening in our community?" he said. "It should not be OK. We should be as vocal as we are about police officers using excessive force."
    so thats all the community has to do to get the police to stop using excessive force?

thanks chief craig for explaining that criminals committing violent crimes cause police officers to shoot innocent children accidentally. it all makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    You want to split hairs on this one, go ahead. I'm not going to argue percentages with you. I know what I know, you know what you know, so lets leave it at that.
    99.9% is not splitting hairs. Either back up your own fabricated percentage of good cops or stop spewing it like gospel. It makes you look like you're full of it when actual math trumps what you "know".

Nice to see that there's a groundswell of people on this forum who can see that the most cops are not careless, stupid, impulsive, and brutal in all cases.

I'm sure there are bad cops, just as there are bad accountants. And I can respect calls to improve training, pay, review procedures. But what I cannot abide is the attack on cops. I don't understand it. Cops are critical to building a better Detroit. Hobbling their ability to do their job because mistakes happen is a big mistake.

Let's not forget, the #1 reason Detroit failed is not economic or race, but crime. If Detroit had been able to keep crime under control, we might not have been the first and only major municipal bankruptcy today.

Crime hurts Detroit far more than police brutality. But of course are unacceptable. One a major problem where the solution is an ongoing struggle. The other an issue that seems to be well managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Nice to see that there's a groundswell of people on this forum who can see that the most cops are not careless, stupid, impulsive, and brutal in all cases.

I'm sure there are bad cops, just as there are bad accountants. And I can respect calls to improve training, pay, review procedures. But what I cannot abide is the attack on cops. I don't understand it.
    The majority of cops are good folks, like the rest of us. It's easy to bad mouth them from behind a keyboard [[in many cases on here, in another state). Feel free to intervene yourself, and do something to actually stop crime like they do, every day. Risk your life, too.

Do post on here and tell us how you do.

Pissing over semantics and decimals. Smh.

wesley, this was directed at the previous poster, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    The majority of cops are good folks, like the rest of us. It's easy to bad mouth them from behind a keyboard [[in many cases on here, in another state). Feel free to intervene yourself, and do something to actually stop crime like they do, every day. Risk your life, too.

Do post on here and tell us how you do.

Pissing over semantics and decimals. Smh.

wesley, this was directed at the previous poster, not you.
    Oh, I know who it was directed at. I served for 8 years in the military, both as Army Airborne and Navy Special Boats, so I have risked my life plenty. What have you done, gpwrangler?!?

Sorry if me calling out idiots on the internet for claiming outright lies backed up by math bothers you. And the fact that most people would piss their pants going on these calls, while true, adds nothing to the discussion. But please, continue to be a cheerleader. Yes, the "majority" are, not 99.9%. I've never heard of math being equated to semantics and decimals, but maybe it wasn't covered in my Detroit public school education, which included Cass Tech. Is it too late to study harder?

Last I checked, it's a free country and I will call out bullshit if I feel like it. Whether you choose to not believe that there is a subculture in all PDs that gets away with all sorts of shit is entirely up to you, but folks that have grown up in the inner city, such as myself, know better. It's an entirely different perspective for most, where police make them feel "safer", rather than viewing the population they are policing as a threat.

After having lived in both the city of Detroit and its suburbs, there is a distinct difference. Trust, my interactions with the PD in Fraser and Rochester, just two of the suburbs I have resided, was much different than dealing with Detroit PD as a teenager in the hood.

Edit: And I want to add one last thing. I'm not averse to PDs and the job they do. It's a tough job. I received a letter of commendation from the base commander of NAS North Island, and NCIS, for helping with a shooting investigation on base which involved gathering ballistic evidence. I'm also currently working on a project with state police, over the past year. But yeah, go ahead and paint me with whatever brush you'd like.
    Last edited by Islandman; October-22-14 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Oh, I know who it was directed at. I served for 8 years in the military, both as Army Airborne and Navy Special Boats, so I have risked my life plenty. What have you done, gpwrangler?!?

Sorry if me calling out idiots on the internet for claiming outright lies backed up by math bothers you. And the fact that most people would piss their pants going on these calls, while true, adds nothing to the discussion. But please, continue to be a cheerleader. Yes, the "majority" are, not 99.9%. I've never heard of math being equated to semantics and decimals, but maybe it wasn't covered in my Detroit public school education, which included Cass Tech. Is it too late to study harder?

Last I checked, it's a free country and I will call out bullshit if I feel like it. Whether you choose to not believe that there is a subculture in all PDs that gets away with all sorts of shit is entirely up to you, but folks that have grown up in the inner city, such as myself, know better. It's an entirely different perspective for most, where police make them feel "safer", rather than viewing the population they are policing as a threat.

After having lived in both the city of Detroit and its suburbs, there is a distinct difference. Trust, my interactions with the PD in Fraser and Rochester, just two of the suburbs I have resided, was much different than dealing with Detroit PD as a teenager in the hood.

Edit: And I want to add one last thing. I'm not averse to PDs and the job they do. It's a tough job. I received a letter of commendation from the base commander of NAS North Island, and NCIS, for helping with a shooting investigation on base which involved gathering ballistic evidence. I'm also currently working on a project with state police, over the past year. But yeah, go ahead and paint me with whatever brush you'd like.
    Thanks for your military service. I've served locally [[fire/rescue) but no military service. Grew up quite poor but was too busy studying [[yes public school) to get in much trouble though there was plenty and I lost a few friends to violence at a young age.

Our police are all we've got so I'm OK if they're not all Boy Scouts. Most people I know [[including some ex military and FFs) would piss themselves in situations the DPD sees everyday. Yes, me too. And I don't see the public doing a damned thing except showing up en masse to get the farmers barns on Kercheval taken down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2