Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Now, I'm going to contradict myself. There is one part of the Detroit Gray Iron Foundry that would be nice to save, except that I think it is probably in too poor condition to restore without big big bucks. That would be the 3 story section closest to the Jefferson alley. It's got character and would make for nice lofts or offices. But, if you look at the rest of the block in the street view link below, that's where the character ends [[save for the murals).

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3434...PIht0J9hQA!2e0

As I was in the neighborhood today I swung by to see what was going on and took this picture from the rear on Wight Street.

There is some new fencing, a dumpster, and yellow tape along the Meldrum Street site but no demolition equipment was yet present.

While taking the picture, a rather feisty attractive woman dripping with diamonds and in black furs and leather demanded I stop taking the picture of 'her' building. I explained I was on public property and completely within my rights. She would not accept that and after a couple of rounds of 'no you can't' 'yes I can' my friend who was with me, who happens to be a lawyer and has owned major commercial properties, further asserted my rights more vigorously.

Then it was 'why do you want to take this picture of a ruin', 'I have people trying to sneak in to take pictures'. I explained that I was news media and that this site was a news story and under discussion on DetoitYES. "Are you tearing it down?" I asked. 'I'm not answering. I'm not speaking to you or anybody about it. It's my building and I don't want you taking pictures of it.' It was getting humorous by then and I challenged her, "How do I know you own it?"

This went back and forth for a while an amused group gathered. Finally one of them approached me smiling and explained that his family did own it and plans for its demolition were in progress. He anticipated it would take 60-90 days to clear the site. There appears to be lot of scappable metal there. He was very pleasant and the woman, pretty sure it was his wife, mellowed a bit and we exchanged cards and all parted on good terms.

LOL, that was a good read, Lowell. She probably thought you were some out of state hipster looking to chronicle the decline of Detroit for the 1500th time.

Lowell, from what I understand, the owners live in Chatham, Ontario. Did you notice the plates on their car? Incidentally, that dumpster has been replaced at least 3 times already, so there is a ton of stuff they've been removing from the inside.

Willi Guest

Evolution is necessary for survival of the city

Thanks animatedmartian. I was slow to update this post. In fact, some "signs" of hope after no progress all winter came when they put small signs stating "DANGER: Demolition Area" on the fences surrounding the buildings a few weeks ago. Then the bulldozers showed up in the last 10 days or so. I didn't think two bulldozers would work so fast, but they are as they move from the Meldrum side towards Iron Street.

Is there a current plan for this plot after the demo and soil remediation?

for the record, one can search for a building on the following site to find out when it will be demolished: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/asbestos_.../AbSearch.aspx You can search using any numbers of parameters: Address [[or simply street name), owner, city, etc. These can be revised [[usually to change the dates of work), which is why, if you look at the Iron St site, there are 7 or 8 different notifications. Every commercial site in Michigan [[and also single family homes that are part of the Land Bank/blight removal) must have a notification filed 10 days before they can begin demolition. If you see a building being demolished and there isn't a notification, send me an email: goeddekej@michigan.gov

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Lowell, from what I understand, the owners live in Chatham, Ontario. Did you notice the plates on their car? Incidentally, that dumpster has been replaced at least 3 times already, so there is a ton of stuff they've been removing from the inside.
    Yes the owner is Canadian and said the property has been owned by the family business for decades. And the family business is? Scrap. There is/was a lot of metal in that place.

Going, going, almost gone. The Meldrum street side is all down except a small corner section. Thursday, they took down about half of the Iron street side. What remains are two adjacent buildings on Iron street, and a wall in the middle of the block. I'm not sure why they don't just take everything in a linear fashion, but according to two workers I talked to, the entire block is to be cleared.

These pics are from the Iron street side.

Edit: Can someone explain why these pics -- which were right side up on my laptop -- now show flipped upside down after I uploaded them? That's never happened to me before. I even uploaded them again after flipping them on my laptop, but the same result.

Name:  20150402_132930.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  20150402_132853.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  30.8 KB
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-04-15 at 01:59 PM.

I would try uploading them upside down first.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Going, going, almost gone. The Meldrum street side is all down except a small corner section. Thursday, they took down about half of the Iron street side. What remains are two adjacent buildings on Iron street, and a wall in the middle of the block. I'm not sure why they don't just take everything in a linear fashion, but according to two workers I talked to, the entire block is to be cleared.

These pics are from the Iron street side.

Edit: Can someone explain why these pics -- which were right side up on my laptop -- now show flipped upside down after I uploaded them? That's never happened to me before. I even uploaded them again after flipping them on my laptop, but the same result.

Name:  20150402_132930.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  20150402_132853.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  30.8 KB
    I'm surprised they haven't just fallen off.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't just fallen off.
    LMFAO good one Tonk!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2