Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

^^^Now, that's a good idea. Probably too late for these dogs though, they were to be picked up for quarantine, which will probably not end well for them.

I hear you. I have no sympathy for this pitbull hoarder. Animals used this way is about selfishness and mental illness often, not responsible pet ownership. I'm surprised the police did not shoot more of them dead upon arrival to this madness. It's likely the dogs will be ultimately put down. Thankfully the owner is being charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Assumptions are in no particular order. A person has been seriously hurt [[another just recently died from an attack). He is the one I have sympathy for.

The liberal spin on here is getting fucking old. No one wants anyone held responsible for anything anymore. Bullshit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-14 at 10:47 AM.

A growing number of people purchase pits and similar breeds as 'trophy' items. Then the real responsibility of feeding, immunizations, housing etc. comes due and they bail and do the 'ready-to-maul' abused dog in dirt-and-filth back yards [[if that's what you want to call them)! Or they just turn the dogs out all together and you get the roving packs. As long as the policing and legal response continues to be AFTER the attacks the problem will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I know this is somewhat [[?) unrelated, but I've seen strays all over the city and even had one follow me in Southwest Detroit. It was small enough of a dog that I wasn't worried too much, but it's indicative of a broader problem. I also had a large dog chase after me when I was on a bike near 10 & Gratiot. So there you go.

Bottom line, I'm sick of dogs. I don't care how cute you think Scruffy is. Dogs in urban environments are pests, and noisy on top of it.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-14 at 10:46 AM.

I've had and been around pits, rotts, shepherds, mixed dogs, have rescued dogs etc. along with cats and yet I stand on not FORCING my animals on people free range. Some people have a visceral fear of dogs and cats that I respect. I'm not afraid of dogs per se, but not interested in other folks unleashed dogs [[especially the larger breeds I don't know the the temperament of walking around me) so I'll not be going to this bar.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Also, I won't get into specifics, but Temple Bar had/still probably has a dog that they allow[[ed) to run around in the bar. I won't get into specifics, but screw that dog. And yes, I was friendly to the dog and introduced myself. That dog just has an overexcited temperament for a bar.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-14 at 10:42 AM.

Yep, I agree... As I said I'm surprised the police did not shoot more of them on sight. And the most well maintained dog can turn violently territorial when their space is invaded. And dog 'hoarding' goes beyond personal protection reasons for having a dog to alert you of an intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Still, it seems to me that big potentially dangerous dogs in large numbers are a bad fit in any home, regardless of the intentions of the victim. Dogs don't have any way of knowing when deadly force is justified, and when to call it off on their own when the problem is defused.

Bingo! The breeding hustle is part of the scene. I've talk to people involved in animal rescues reporting that some of these 'owners' get angry at the idea of spaying and neutering their dogs. They refuse!

From the news broadcast of this incident the one brown, brindle striped pit shown being removed is clearly a breeding female with loose teets hanging. Obvious of a recent litter -- who knows where the poor puppies are.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    ... or he's breeding them to sell for cash.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-04-14 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Bingo! The breeding hustle is part of the scene. I've talk to people involved in animal rescues reporting that some of these 'owners' get angry at the idea of spaying and neutering their dogs. They refuse!

From the news broadcast of this incident the one brown, brindle striped pit shown being removed is clearly a breeding female with loose teets hanging. Obvious of a recent litter -- who knows where the poor puppies are.
    I read that there were four puppies taken from the house. Hopefully they will be spared the fate of their extended family, which will probably be euthanasia. People, like this owner, really piss me off. I hope he gets a long stay in jail and the ASPCA goes after him as well for good measure. The thought of what that victims life is going to be like now is absolutely horrific--not just losing his hands and feet, but having to live with the memory of nearly being eaten alive by a pack of dogs. People suck.

Throw the book at the pet owner. horrible. No safety. Various trendy "protection/attack" dogs are overbred, its made a mess of various urban neighborhoods. More often than not, they end up attacking or killing family/neighbors/passers-by before they attack/kill any theoretical burglar or human aggressor.

I just read all the dogs involved will be put down. Its reported that the dogs escaped from a side door of a house and were looking emaciated.

Im surprised they only shot one dog. I have an acquaintance who had a small marijuana grow operation on the East side that was raided. The cops shot all his dogs and I knew those dogs, they were not aggressive.

Im just feeling terrible for the guy who now has no hands or feet. What a horribly painful thing to go through.

I love a bar that allowes decent dogs in. I always brought my Farnsworth to the Old Miami. He just laid on the floor greeting patrons as they came in. I will always be more likely to patron a bar that allows our canine friends in.

Love the Temple bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I just read all the dogs involved will be put down. Its reported that the dogs escaped from a side door of a house and were looking emaciated.

Im surprised they only shot one dog. I have an acquaintance who had a small marijuana grow operation on the East side that was raided. The cops shot all his dogs and I knew those dogs, they were not aggressive.

Im just feeling terrible for the guy who now has no hands or feet. What a horribly painful thing to go through.

I love a bar that allowes decent dogs in. I always brought my Farnsworth to the Old Miami. He just laid on the floor greeting patrons as they came in. I will always be more likely to patron a bar that allows our canine friends in.

Love the Temple bar.
    Wow where do they let dogs in? I'd prefer a dog friendly bar any day.

As long as the policing and legal response continues to be AFTER the attacks the problem will continue
    That is more what I had in mind when I mentioned the Bully Breeds rescue and defense groups. When there's no response from local authorities and its something you can't handle on your own, then I think looking around for potential allies [[allies for whatever reason) and enlisting their help has to be the next step. I want to prevent human injury/death, they're interested in the dogs' welfare but they are far better than me at PR and activism generally. If they get authorities to listen, act and remove the dogs from that setting, we both win.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Wow where do they let dogs in? I'd prefer a dog friendly bar any day.
    Ive found that hole in the wall bars are your best bet. Motor City Brew on Canfield probably wouldnt bat an eye if your dog was well behaved. Old Miami is known to sometimes be dog friendly. I used to bring Farnsworth ito The Bronx with no problem as well. At the very least you can bring Fido to the patio of the Bronx where he can hang loose.

He has since died from the attack. See link below:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...oits-east-side

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    ...Im just feeling terrible for the guy who now has no hands or feet. What a horribly painful thing to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    He has since died from the attack. See link below:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...oits-east-side
    I couldn't find anything at that link about the victim dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I couldn't find anything at that link about the victim dying.
    This just says he is in critical condition: [[from 2 hours ago)

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/16634977/

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Was this considerable effort done in an environment like Detroit? Comparing the considerable effort one would have to exhaust in GP vs. a place like Detroit is laughable, put perhaps you can enlighten us as to other difficult locations/situations you've encountered that could possibly compare.
    It wasn't in GP. And no, I won't try to "enlighten you".

No worries, I expected as much.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    ^^^Now, that's a good idea. Probably too late for these dogs though, they were to be picked up for quarantine, which will probably not end well for them.
    Ending up worse for the guy with his hands and feet chewed off.

Now I feel crazy. I certain the link said he had passed away. The headline was different. Might have been scrubbed due to misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    This just says he is in critical condition: [[from 2 hours ago)

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/16634977/

No worries, I expected as much.
    So did I. Easier to attack or discredit someone than to make even the smallest effort to fix things. I guess I didn't really get how bad it is. Maybe you're right - the system is broken and there's no hope.

What were you expecting? I asked you to provide a simple answer of what "tough neighborhoods" you have implemented your Get Tough programs in. I am not attacking you. You feel attacked because you are asked to provide some concrete information?!?

Your suggestions are just unrealistic. Forming neighborhood associations on many blocks in Detroit is just not going to happen, let alone asking your neighbors to turn on their lights, as you propose on another thread. And knocking on neighbors doors?!? I don't know what tough neighborhoods you've lived in, since you won't say, but you usually don't go knocking on doors uninvited to force people to act right.

As many on this board have experienced, including myself growing up in Detroit, all it takes is one knucklehead, or a family of knuckleheads to ruin a block. And most people on the block, instead of dealing with the issue, keep to themselves. Why? Fear. Fear because they have no police backup if things go awry.

Should it be that way? No, but it's the reality. Ignoring that reality could get you killed in certain neighborhoods. Anyone who has truly lived in a tough neighborhood would know that.

What were you expecting? I asked you to provide a simple answer of what "tough neighborhoods" you have implemented your Get Tough programs in. I am not attacking you. You feel attacked because you are asked to provide some concrete information?!?

Your suggestions are just unrealistic. Forming neighborhood associations on many blocks in Detroit is just not going to happen, let alone asking your neighbors to turn on their lights, as you propose on another thread. And knocking on neighbors doors?!? I don't know what tough neighborhoods you've lived in, since you won't say, but you usually don't go knocking on doors uninvited to force people to act right.

As many on this board have experienced, including myself growing up in Detroit, all it takes is one knucklehead, or a family of knuckleheads to ruin a block. And most people on the block, instead of dealing with the issue, keep to themselves. Why? Fear. Fear because they have no police backup if things go awry.

Should it be that way? No, but it's the reality. Ignoring that reality could get you killed in certain neighborhoods. Anyone who has truly lived in a tough neighborhood would know that.
    It's too bad you see it that way...

Two quotes I believe are from the works of MLK jr.

• He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

• History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.

Edmund Burke [[1729-1797) - English statesman:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Burke also said:

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little."

But you are right Islandman, it's far more easier to leave the Detroit than stay and cull the rotten apples out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    It's too bad you see it that way...

Two quotes I believe are from the works of MLK jr.

• He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

• History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.

Edmund Burke [[1729-1797) - English statesman:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Burke also said:

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little."

But you are right Islandman, it's far more easier to leave the Detroit than stay and cull the rotten apples out.
    Hey Dan, Which Detroit neighborhood do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hey Dan, Which Detroit neighborhood do you live in?
    I don't any more. I know of what islandman speaks of. I didn't want my kids to have to grow up with that fear islandman speaks of.

Lower eastside used to be my stompin grounds, My sisters and mother still reside on the eastside just on the other side of eight mile now.

My kids grew up in a small town on dirt roads up in Mid Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I don't any more. I know of what islandman speaks of. I didn't want my kids to have to grow up with that fear islandman speaks of.

Lower eastside used to be my stompin grounds, My sisters and mother still reside on the eastside just on the other side of eight mile now.

My kids grew up in a small town on dirt roads up in Mid Michigan.

I have no doubt you did what you could back in the day. I did too, up until about a year ago. Both jt1 and islandman have very valid points. If everyone in the neighborhood WANTS to make things better, that's one thing, but, as I posted in another thread, you're met with opposition and have no back-up, and that's another. You can lead a horse to water, etc. Getting your car windows knocked out, or your residence sprayed with bullets in the middle of the night is unpleasant. I strongly feel unless the law gets serious about crime, and not just after the fact, Gilbertville or Ilitchtown are going to be the few places you can safely live in Detroit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast