Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    What were you expecting? I asked you to provide a simple answer of what "tough neighborhoods" you have implemented your Get Tough programs in. I am not attacking you. You feel attacked because you are asked to provide some concrete information?!?

Your suggestions are just unrealistic. Forming neighborhood associations on many blocks in Detroit is just not going to happen, let alone asking your neighbors to turn on their lights, as you propose on another thread. And knocking on neighbors doors?!? I don't know what tough neighborhoods you've lived in, since you won't say, but you usually don't go knocking on doors uninvited to force people to act right.

As many on this board have experienced, including myself growing up in Detroit, all it takes is one knucklehead, or a family of knuckleheads to ruin a block. And most people on the block, instead of dealing with the issue, keep to themselves. Why? Fear. Fear because they have no police backup if things go awry.

Should it be that way? No, but it's the reality. Ignoring that reality could get you killed in certain neighborhoods. Anyone who has truly lived in a tough neighborhood would know that.
    wtf. Then move if it's that bad.

I have moved. Albany, NY now. But I do have family in Detroit and Highland Park that deal with these issues that you think can be solved by going knocking on doors. As HT points out, if you're lucky enough to have solidarity on the block you live on, then something perhaps could be done. But it's not the reality for most neighborhoods.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that your suggestions should be the norm, but when you have people that don't hold your values when it comes to quality of life, it's better to tuck and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I have moved. Albany, NY now. But I do have family in Detroit and Highland Park that deal with these issues that you think can be solved by going knocking on doors. As HT points out, if you're lucky enough to have solidarity on the block you live on, then something perhaps could be done. But it's not the reality for most neighborhoods.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that your suggestions should be the norm, but when you have people that don't hold your values when it comes to quality of life, it's better to tuck and roll.
    I didn't realize you didn't live here. My bad. Obviously not every neighborhood can organize and fight crime. That doesn't mean everyone has to give up and move.
    Last edited by Gpwrangler; October-06-14 at 05:49 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3