Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Willi Guest

Students learn a lot from these inanimate objects as they "speak and teach" ....sarcasm off now
    - I think putting the time, resources, etc in the classroom is more productive then some of this crap

Definitely not a fan, don't care to contribute alumni funds towards, just don't like it

Name:  Bad Art.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  WSU Sculptures.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  70.6 KB

Now students tuition and State taxes go to upkeep this piece of real estate ?????????????
    Frank Hecker Mansion

Misses the mark completely of being an institution focused on Higher Learning
    Last edited by Willi; October-08-14 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Students learn a lot from these inanimate objects as they "speak and teach" ....sarcasm off now
    - I think putting the time, resources, etc in the classroom is more productive then some of this crap

Definitely not a fan, don't care to contribute alumni funds towards, just don't like it

Name:  Bad Art.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  WSU Sculptures.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  70.6 KB

Now students tuition and State taxes go to upkeep this piece of real estate ?????????????
    Frank Hecker Mansion

Misses the mark completely of being an institution focused on Higher Learning
    I feel like the entire concept of culture and an institution doing more than one thing might be totally lost on you.

I'm mad because we had shitty lab equipment, dilapidated buildings, almost lost accreditation ,
    BUT they still managed to buy, acquire, display, pieces of horrible artwork many students hated.
    Who cares if a campus has twisted pieces of metal ""called art"" when the basics are neglected.

If they wanted to """donate"" something, how about something that actually HELPS students ?
    Maybe they could have donated a year of Free parking, or something like that.

Wikipedia posting :
    By the 1980s though, falling ceilings, peeling paint, vandalism, a fire,
    plumbing failures, leaking roofs, and deferred maintenance
    had taken their toll on Old Main.
    To remedy the situation Wayne State University launched a fund raising campaign
    in 1995, and later sought state assistance. As a result, large-scale renovations
    of the structure were begun that year. Electrical and mechanical systems
    were replaced, and much of the building is restored to its original look.
    Today, the renovated Old Main serves as the home of the
    College of Liberal Arts and Sciences of Wayne State University
    as well as accommodating many other classes
    in a wide variety of subjects.
    Old Main now reflects the University's history, growth and development,
    and is widely seen as the symbol of Wayne State University.

WSU blew a LOT of hot air up peoples nostrils as they paid tuition during the late 1980's
    The students that went there during this time period know darn well it reeked of neglect.
    You don't like art. You don't like culture. You don't like English. What do you like?

Your view of the role a research institution plays may vary greatly from the reality of that role.

Willi Guest

Wayne State is most definitely a Commuter College - a place where people WORK;
    just so they can attend college, and better their lives.
    Because a huge number of students have jobs, they are busy, and don't stick around campus.
    They leave the area and go back home, instead of merely strolling around campus looking at art.
    How many outsiders, aka non-students, take a day and wander the campus of WSU ---zero.

Most folks in the suburbs, do anything they can to avoid sending their son/daughter downtown
    - thats why MSU and UofM get the bulk of the students, so they experience living away from home

Keep tuition low, provide top notch professors , provide solid lab equipment, and keep the
    other non-essential bullcrap to a minimum, because it only serves the governing body;
    - not the students

I have an opinion, I express it and I think this sucks, a waste of resources
    Name:  This sucks.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  25.2 KB
    Last edited by Willi; October-09-14 at 10:42 AM.

Because a huge number of students have jobs, they are busy, and don't stick around campus.
    They leave the area and go back home, instead of merely strolling around campus looking at art.
    How many outsiders, aka non-students, take a day and wander the campus of WSU ---zero.

Most folks in the suburbs, do anything they can to avoid sending their son/daughter downtown
    - thats why MSU and UofM get the bulk of the students, so they experience living away from home

Keep tuition low, provide top notch professors , provide solid lab equipment, and keep the
    other non-essential bullcrap to a minimum, because it only serves the governing body;
    - not the students

I have an opinion, I express it and I think this sucks, a a waste of resources
    You've clearly never worked for admissions.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that most, if not all, of the art were gifts.
    Last edited by noise; October-09-14 at 10:46 AM.

Willi Guest

No I didn't, I remember when we registered for classes with "cards" at some crappy building
    somewhere on Cass Avenue and it was LESS than inspiring to say the least.

Somehow that was left off the tour when my parents visited for a few hours

Admissions are Registrar are different.

You seem to be confused about higher ed.

Willi Guest

People on this thread who attended WSU during the late 80's know EXACTLY how it was.
    No confusion whatsoever. Money was spent on ""other nonsense crap"" and it still is now.
    Students and parents get the debt - what a shitty trade.
    Focus on learning.

People on this thread who attended WSU during the late 80's know EXACTLY how it was.
    No confusion whatsoever. Money was spent on ""other nonsense crap"" and it still is now.
    Students and parents get the debt - what a shitty trade.
    Focus on learning.
    Yet you pointed to sculptures that were donated. And both students and parents want that crap, which is clear when you look at the data. And so do donors.

Willi Guest

I guess it installs itself and the folks work for free -- yet the students could care less.
    Oh who attends , the students. Ever take a poll, I did as student/teacher relations back then.
    Students would be just as happy with a tree, and lower tuition.
    http://www.wsc.edu/about/map/
    Last edited by Willi; October-09-14 at 12:20 PM.

This was certainly true in the 80's and maybe the 90's, but it is true no longer. It would be difficult to make a case for anyone's vision of what WSU would evolve into. It is much less a commuter college than it used to be.

I guess it installs itself and the folks work for free -- yet the students could care less.
    Oh who attends , the students. Ever take a poll, I did as student/teacher relations back then.
    Students would be just as happy with a tree, and lower tuition.
    http://www.wsc.edu/about/map/
    And a tree just trims itself and grass just mows itself.

Look, I know you want to believe that, enough to cite your unpublished poll, but recruitment literature and reality tend to differ. The campus as place matters.

What's with the Wayne State College map? It doesn't even come close to comparing to Wayne State University, aside from the name.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    This was certainly true in the 80's and maybe the 90's, but it is true no longer. It would be difficult to make a case for anyone's vision of what WSU would evolve into. It is much less a commuter college than it used to be.
    Yup. While not at the same level as MSU or UM [[which it isn't trying to be, nor should it), there are over 2,000 students living on campus. That doesn't include the surrounding area.

And there are a ton of non-students on campus every day.

Willi.... let me help bring you up to speed on your view of the artwork in the area of WSU as being just WSU money wasted on things you don't like.

Here's what's going on in the WSU/Midtown area.... and yes... it does involve ART.... the Midtown University Cultural Center has a MASTERPLAN for art and making life for the ever increasing students that now actually live AND go to school here...

http://www.susanwilczak.com/files/mi...aster_plan.pdf

And if art isn't to your liking... here's more art you won't like...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzFwEx6QwrQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4jfodMGq0

In fact there's a thread about this on DYES....
    Last edited by Gistok; October-09-14 at 02:32 PM.

Willi Guest

Go to the DIA for art, or go off campus to view architecture.
    Let the students focus on being students and not ants in some university boards collection.
    I bet the non-students are the bums pestering the students for that empty soda can.
    Perhaps it makes the upper echelon happy http://bog.wayne.edu/about.php ; but the students
    are not getting a ""better"" education, bang- for- their- buck ; because of it.
    Focus on learning, each and every day, priority one; not acquiring non-essentials.

It's my opinion and won't budge on this.

Apparently whatever ""trend"" was attempting to be set - FAILED miserably
    Originally Published: June 01, 2013 3:01 AMhttp://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...orous-learning

The 12th president of Wayne State University, expected to be named soon, faces a challenge over a decade in the making -- reversing several performance declines, including falling enrollment and a six-year graduation rate that recently tumbled below 30 percent.

Fall enrollment numbers also have declined each year since 2009, the Michigan Legislature is growing weary of underperformance, and an often adversarial internal culture persists.

Current President Allan Gilmour, who retires June 30, said he wishes he had done more

Student retention and graduation rates for Wayne State University

Diane Dunaskiss, a Republican member of the WSU board of governors who was on the search committee, said continuing improvement in retention and graduation rates has been a top priority in selecting the new president.
    Last edited by Willi; October-09-14 at 03:32 PM.

Go to the DIA for art, or go off campus to view architecture.
    Let the students focus on being students and not ants in some university boards collection.
    I bet the non-students are the bums pestering the students for that empty soda can.
    Perhaps it makes the upper echelon happy http://bog.wayne.edu/about.php ; but the students
    are not getting a ""better"" education, bang- for- their- buck ; because of it.
    Focus on learning, each and every day, priority one; not acquiring non-essentials.

It's my opinion and won't budge on this.

Apparently whatever ""trend"" was attempting to be set - FAILED miserably
    Originally Published: June 01, 2013 3:01 AMhttp://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...orous-learning

The 12th president of Wayne State University, expected to be named soon, faces a challenge over a decade in the making -- reversing several performance declines, including falling enrollment and a six-year graduation rate that recently tumbled below 30 percent.

Fall enrollment numbers also have declined each year since 2009, the Michigan Legislature is growing weary of underperformance, and an often adversarial internal culture persists.

Current President Allan Gilmour, who retires June 30, said he wishes he had done more

Student retention and graduation rates for Wayne State University

Diane Dunaskiss, a Republican member of the WSU board of governors who was on the search committee, said continuing improvement in retention and graduation rates has been a top priority in selecting the new president.
    Your formatting reads like almost the same as That Great Guy. You guys obviously never took a class on how to properly format your four page long dissertations on why your opinion is better than everyone else's. I will still staunchly refuse to read these horribly formatted "arguments" about why art is stupid and dumb and you're right until you can format your stuff like a normal human being.

Also, that art and culture stuff is a huge draw for people to come to the area for college. The area is teeming to the brim with students [[I am over in Woodbridge) and you better bet they wouldn't be down there if WSU was still acting like they were a commuter college one step above community college. What they have done to build the area and build their brand is honestly pretty impressive, even though butt-hurt student from 1980 Willi disagrees.

Willi Guest

Guess your reading comprehension is that of first grader Motz - I'll help you - keep it short and simple

Let the ass kicking begin so your ass will hurt for a good long while Motz

a.) performance declines
    b.) falling enrollment
    c.) graduation rate that recently tumbled below 30 percent.

That is what Wayne State has become the last few years due to a lack of focus on EDUCATION

Call Crains Detroit Business - ask for Chad Halcom - 313-446-6796 and tell him the facts are wrong

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?17111-Wayne-State-University-is-one-of-the-most-embarrassing-aspects-of-Detroit

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1250994.html

Last edited by Willi; October-10-14 at 02:42 PM.

Sigh...I am so often tempted to back out of the discussion when the discussion turns nasty. It doesn' flatter ANYONE who participates.

The ugly retention rate is largely due to a liberal admissions policy, coupled with a maintenance of a firm set of grading and graduation rules.

In short, WSU had a nasty habit of admitting kids who had no business in a major university [[many of them products of the failing Detroit School System), then failing them when their college skills showed up lacking. Often at the cost of thousands of dollars to the student.

There are major efforts to correct this, and help those students who get in and struggle.

It's still a problem as WSU works hard to serve their geographic and demographic region, but at least it's been recognized as a major problem.

Willi Guest

I am diplomatic, respectful and decent; until someone intentionally, personally, insults me.
    Direct the hate at MOTZ, who apparently can't conduct himself properly on a public forum.

Wayne State University definitely lost its focus on academics and multiple media
    outlets over the last few years have reported that specific fact.
    No amount of art is going to fix it. I like art when it's in a museum, where it belongs.
    Having old buildings requires a ton of maintenance, and cost, year after year after year.
    Last edited by Willi; October-10-14 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    The ugly retention rate is largely due to a liberal admissions policy, coupled with a maintenance of a firm set of grading and graduation rules.

In short, WSU had a nasty habit of admitting kids who had no business in a major university [[many of them products of the failing Detroit School System), then failing them when their college skills showed up lacking. Often at the cost of thousands of dollars to the student.
    What about kids who apply and get admitted and just decide that college isn't for them, or that WSU isnt' for them? Both of my sons attended WSU for just one semester before moving on. One attended WSU right out of high school when he didn't have a clue what he wanted to do, but because of parental pressure to continue his education plus a MEAP award, he did enroll but couldn't hack it and got a job before attending a vocational school. The other attended WSU after some community college and a year at an outstate state university but ended up leaving for another university that better met his needs in terms of commute for him and his wife.

It's not a jab against WSU for either one...it just wasn't what they needed in terms of school at that time in their life. I'm sure they counted as failures in terms of the retention rate. Not sure WSU could have done anything about these departures...
    Last edited by Kathleen; October-10-14 at 04:12 PM.

I am diplomatic, respectful and decent; until someone intentionally, personally, insults me.
    Direct the hate at MOTZ, who apparently can't conduct himself properly on a public forum.

Wayne State University definitely lost its focus on academics and multiple media
    outlets over the last few years have reported that specific fact.
    No amount of art is going to fix it. I like art when it's in a museum, where it belongs.
    Having old buildings requires a ton of maintenance, and cost, year after year after year.
    Your opinions are not based in reality, no matter how much you want to believe they are.

Post specifics. Correlation does not imply causation. That's something everyone should know.

Willi Guest

Here you go Noise - no opinion, facts about WSU reported from numerous sources.

a.) performance declines
    b.) falling enrollment
    c.) graduation rate that recently tumbled below 30 percent.

Post #42 has the phone numbers, links and email addresses to verify the facts

Wayne State University seriously FAILED in being a University the last few years.
    The did NOT get many new students, the did NOT keep them, and they did NOT graduate.
    Maybe the new president will cut out the un-necessary stuff and focus on education.
    Last edited by Willi; October-13-14 at 10:38 AM.

Maybe you can explain higher ed funding and the effects of specific spending on the facts you posted above. Then explain why, specifically, you think those problems exist.

For that matter, tell us how they could improve their spending focus on education.

That should be interesting.

Willi Guest

I know exactly what everyone else knows - WSU suffered from serious performance declines.

Shrinking State of Michigan financial support to WSU
    under a performance-based funding model
    favored by Gov. Rick Snyder and the Legislature.
    The State support now makes up about a third of WSU's revenue.

Apparently things are so bad that for only the 2nd time in the history of the school;
    it will launch a $750-million Capital Campaign this week,
    hoping to raise money for student scholarships
    and endowed faculty positions, among other items.

YEAH, they took their eye off the prize, EDUCATION.
    Skip the crap in the campus, and focus on what is in the classroom, indoors.
    Last edited by Willi; October-13-14 at 03:14 PM.

anonJD Guest

Here's the ugly truth: if you simply SHOW UP to any 15 of these schools for 6 years, you'll get a degree. That's what makes these numbers even worse than they are. Even at UMaa, you can get a gen studies degree taking exclusively all of the campus "guts" sections. At MSU and the others, anyone can get a communications degree. If you spend 5-6 years on a campus and didn't leave with a degree, your work ethic is best defined as: helpless.
    Last edited by anonJD; October-14-14 at 12:00 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast