Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    So the number one brewery in the world is pedestrian? What are you choices?
    Number one beer? Can you still get Falstaff places?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Volume of sales does not correlate to good: Are you implying that Bud Light is a good beer?
    If you have to ask that question you are clueless.

Sitting in my beer refrigerator at the moment are beers from:
    Duval
    Ayinger
    Bitburger
    Spatan
    Hacker-Pschorr
    Paulaner
    LaBatt
    Affligem
    Bell's
    Lion
    The beers run from lagers to wheats to stouts and ales, and probably they are beers most could care less about but then you cannot help the bad taste of the american public.
    Wow, yeah... Do you go to an establishment called "Bailey's" often? Because that reads like their beer list. And they stick to more "mainstream", "safe" brews. Shorts often times takes some really weird risks and has some unique brews. Atwater has some of the most solid "basic" beers around, like Dirty Blonde and Vanilla Java. I personally have been digging on North Peak's Siren Amber Ale and Majestic Wheat... I mean, I could try and give you examples of brews that are local that might be good choices to rival what you suggested, if you want, but note that a lot of the kind-of-bitter European beers are wayyyy less popular than in the past, hence less beers that are down that avenue.

Might I add that the beers listed above are in fact all good, balanced beers I don't think those beers can relate to microbrews as microbrews tend to take balanced, basic beers and add some sort of twist or emphasis on a certain ingredient. I like to think of Founders as having some of the most flavored, big, and balanced beers on the market. None of Founders beers could relate to that list and vice versa.

having said that the brewery scene in Detroit proper can be a bit lacking. Selections at breweries can be hit and miss at times.

So the number one brewery in the world is pedestrian? What are you choices? Although you probably would not know a good beer if it bit you in the ass.
    I like Westvleteren 12, but given the scarcity I'd just as happily drink a St. Bernardus Abt 12.

You could play around with this: http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I like Westvleteren 12, but given the scarcity I'd just as happily drink a St. Bernardus Abt 12.

You could play around with this: http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/
    A bunch of these seem to be limited release beers, like the Founders KBS. And many of them seem to be pretty geared towards the crowd that likes to have one or two beers, on a clean palette, while sniffing the aromas out of their specialized glass that properly releases the flavors or whatever.

Also as Adam stated, the beer scene in the city feels lacking too often. Detroit Beer Company, Atwater, Motor City, Batch... anyone beyond that? [[Counting Traffic Jam & Snug feels wrong) I'll welcome every brewery who wants to come down here, whether it's a flagship location or a satellite. Just bring more beer please.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    A bunch of these seem to be limited release beers, like the Founders KBS. And many of them seem to be pretty geared towards the crowd that likes to have one or two beers, on a clean palette, while sniffing the aromas out of their specialized glass that properly releases the flavors or whatever.

Also as Adam stated, the beer scene in the city feels lacking too often. Detroit Beer Company, Atwater, Motor City, Batch... anyone beyond that? [[Counting Traffic Jam & Snug feels wrong) I'll welcome every brewery who wants to come down here, whether it's a flagship location or a satellite. Just bring more beer please.
    Yes, they're geared towards people who appreciate good beers. I thought that's what we were discussing. For what it's worth, however, I wasn't offering that link as the final word on good beer.

Keep in mind, I was replying to a poster who seems to think he knows more than anyone else. I was simply pointing out his run-of-the-mill tastes.

And I'd agree on the beer scene in the city. Sure there are fine beers here, but the best in the state are not from Detroit. Unless you count Warren.

Name:  IMG_0761.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  27.3 KBName:  IMG_0762.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  27.9 KB

Walked by yesterday. Sign is up! Can't wait to go there once it opens. This block of Midtown is shaping up quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I had some really good beers in London, but Ireland needs some work. Most of the pub employees/managers told me that the USA is WAY ahead of Europe on the craft beer scene. Pretty much every pub I went to had Guinness, Coors, Bud, Carlsburg, Smithwick's, and I even saw Pabst. Nothing local or with good ingredients. I found one pub out in the wilderness that made their own beer, and it was good but I'll put USA over them anyday.

Nothing beats going to a pub in a small town in Ireland where there are sometimes 6 or 7 pubs for a population of a hundred or so. I remember having to knock at a pub door where a lovely bashful young lady of 18 would serve up a pint of Guinness in a room the size of a bathroom. Sometimes there are no signs above the doorway, just a Guinness sticker. They may serve a pint of Guinness or Smithwicks and not much else apart from Jameson's whiskey. Some bars serve only Jameson's and will put 15 bottles atop a bar and that's it.

I remember looking for a pub on my walk to the oldest fort extant in Western Europe; Dun Aengus. There is only one small road from Kilronan; the hamlet at the entrance of Inishmore, the biggest of the Aran Islands off the west coast near Galway. As I walked to knock at the windowless pub door where a lone Guinness sticker told me there was one, I heard a lady yell at her son to come open up. I never saw her, but my two friends and I were greeted by a twelve year old boy who draughted pints for us. We paid him a good tip and bought him a bag of "crisps" and a Coke.

In Kilronan, the first hamlet on the island, one night at the pub, old men were seated all around the room on benches; there were no tables. The power went out and the pretty young lady behind the bar lit some candles and prompted by one of the men, she started singing a heartrending song about a lover who had left for Galway, a mere 30 miles away... It was the most moving performance I have ever witnessed, bar none; never mind the pun.

All that stuff more than made up for the lack of choice in beer. Oh yes and em... Guinness is good for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2