Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Amen. We've already tried "art" and "growing your own", and it doesn't seem to be bringing Detroit's economy back by much.
    Couldn't agree more. I-94 should look like the new I-96. The only thing growing on its own in Detroit is crime and poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The point is that if people weren't using the freeway before, because it took longer to use the freeway than it did another route, would now start to use the freeway.

This was an argument against the need to widen I-94. Surface streets parallel to I-94 are hardly ever prohibitively congested. Making I-94 wider will just suck more motorists off of Warren since the cost of waiting at traffic lights on Warren will be less than going over to I-94, speeding down the freeway for a couple of miles and the going back up to Warren.. So you have more people using it which will just recreate the problem that MDOT is spending millions to fix.

MDOT could make traffic flow more efficiently for a lot less money if they block some of the on and off ramps on I-94....
    Um you missed the point that surface streets that run parallel to I-94 are virtually non-existent. No complete East/West thru street between I-94 and 7 Mile road to the north... and Warren is hardly a decent East/West street, what with all the one way parts and the brancing off of Eastbound route over to Forest Ave. That's a horrible East/West alternative to take. And points south of there, such as Mack/MLK Blvd are narrow, and south of that you get to the Fisher Fwy. and Vernor Hwy.

So I-94 acts as both a way to get thru the city... as well as a way to get from one part of the city to another part of the city. The alternate routes are more like a maze....

It is coming along fairly quickly now. Its amazing how fast this guy does something after announcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    It is coming along fairly quickly now. Its amazing how fast this guy does something after announcing it.
    Is it not done? What else is left on it? Have people noticed a difference at all?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7