Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Cool vid, but have to agree with the above. Every time the subject comes up same people same points. Next!
    I second that. What's the definition of insanity? Saying/doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I liked the vid too. Looking forward to parking in one spot and visiting many.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I look forward to it but don't patronize me, that's not very mature. Maybe we can take the tram to get there? Good night!
    Dtowncitylover, dont worry about hacks like Sy and Nerd. They could be building a much more comprehensive light-rail system and these two would tell you all those trains are going to nowhere. People like this are the reason things will have to start out small and largely private.

Hopefully they are going to be proven wrong on this one.

Some people take the "surrounding communities" inclusion on this website too far. I believe 95% of forum members come here for Detroit stories and could care less about the suburbs and their tired anti-Detroit banter.. Spare us on how great Oakland Co is, its not why 95% of the people read this forum.

Sy, get a life old man. Please don't come around the city with your attitude, I don't want to see a story about you getting your just reward for copping an attitude with someone or running your crusty old mouth at someone with real problems .
    Last edited by Dbest; September-23-14 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Dtowncitylover, dont worry about hacks like Sy and Nerd. They could be building a much more comprehensive light-rail system and these two would tell you all those trains are going to nowhere. People like this are the reason things will have to start out small and largely private.

Some people take the "surrounding communities" inclusion on this website too far. I believe 95% of forum members come here for Detroit stories and could care less about the suburbs and their tired anti-Detroit banter.. Spare us on how great Oakland Co is, its not why 95% of the people read this forum.

Sy, get a life old man. Please don't come around the city with your attitude, I don't want to see a story about you getting your just deserved for running your mouth.
    That was Dbest post I ever read.

Have to question why the previous electric light rail of 1700 streetcars w/500 miles of track were abandoned 58 years ago.....will the same decision[[s) be made after the M-1 rail is implemented [[abandon)?

Professor Scott,
    I guess nobody read your post. We'll all just have to wait and see who's going to be able to say, "I told you so!"

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Have to question why the previous electric light rail of 1700 streetcars w/500 miles of track were abandoned 58 years ago.....will the same decision[[s) be made after the M-1 rail is implemented [[abandon)?

I think when Pfeiffer beer went belly up the loss of advertisement revenue made them unsustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

I guess that gets into questions about the business forces and biases of the time.

Look up the National City Lines scandal if you have some time. Of course, the NCL scandal didn't apply here in Detroit because the city system was publicly owned.

However, the head of the Department of Street Railways considered buses more futuristic, and consistently moved to turn the DSR into an all-bus system.

Take a look at General Motors' FUTURAMA exhibit of 1939. It envisioned a future of freeways, private cars and … no streetcars.

Also, progressives in the early part of the century embraced the automobile [[much in the same way progressives today have embraced computer technology) as liberating the average American from the streetcar and rail syndicates.

There's something funny in this country: When we get a new technology, everybody seems to think we should sweep away all existing technologies and do everything the "modern" way. But, a generation or two later, people better understand that newer isn't necessarily superior, and that all sorts of technologies do various jobs better than others. I think that's what we're beginning to see now.

Quote Originally Posted by loveDetroit View Post
    I second that. What's the definition of insanity? Saying/doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I liked the vid too. Looking forward to parking in one spot and visiting many.
    Me too. I'm sure I'll use it often. I love this project, I don't have a free parking spot downtown anymore so it'll save me tons of time in finding parking and getting out of the CBD after a major event or a visit. I'm glad it's going in at great taxpayer expense, inconvenience, business disruption, and with private funding assistance. I'm glad my upper middle class entertainment, dining and general convenience needs are clearly the primary focus of this project. fuck those poors that desperately need real functioning regional transit to eek out an existence...they can wait on the bus. Whether or not it actually shows up really isn't my concern. They can just deal.

Modern streetcar meet Detroit, Detroit meet the modern streetcar. I think you two will be just fine.
    If only this were a modern streetcar.

This is a bus, only worse. Woodward Corridor residents will have worse transit once they cut the bus routes and replace it with this.

The only people riding this will be a few white hipsters afraid to ride the buses [[which run at higher frequencies than their planned replacements) and a few white suburbanites coming down for events, and using it as a parking shuttle.

The people already making the Woodward corridor [[easily the most successful transit corridor in Michigan) are all screwed, and will have to transfer from trolley to bus, rather than maintaining their current one-seat ride down Woodward.
    Last edited by Bham1982; September-23-14 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If only this were a modern streetcar.

This is a bus, only worse. Woodward Corridor residents will have worse transit once they cut the bus routes and replace it with this.

The only people riding this will be a few white hipsters afraid to ride the buses [[which run at higher frequencies than their planned replacements) and a few white suburbanites coming down for events, and using it as a parking shuttle.

The people already making the Woodward corridor [[easily the most successful transit corridor in Michigan) are all screwed, and will have to transfer from trolley to bus, rather than maintaining their current one-seat ride down Woodward.
    Uh huh. So the fact that they're buying streetcars and it's running on rails makes it a bus. Got it. I've heard nothing that the bus routes are being replaced. Please show me that evidence. Anyone thinking the 53 will be gone is gravely mistaken.

WHEN this line is extended, it will serve more than the "white hipsters and suburbanites" you imagine will ride this. Despite the fact downtown/midtown/New Center/North End are probably the most diverse neighborhoods of Metro Detroit [[dare I say, Michigan) outside of Hamtramck.

And on Sunday actually I saw quite a few white people waiting for the 53 bus.

Uh huh. So the fact that they're buying streetcars and it's running on rails makes it a bus. Got it. I've heard nothing that the bus routes are being replaced. Please show me that evidence. Anyone thinking the 53 will be gone is gravely mistaken.

WHEN this line is extended, it will serve more than the "white hipsters and suburbanites" you imagine will ride this. Despite the fact downtown/midtown/New Center/North End are probably the most diverse neighborhoods of Metro Detroit [[dare I say, Michigan) outside of Hamtramck.

And on Sunday actually I saw quite a few white people waiting for the 53 bus.
    don't bother with this guy haha... you're right.. they are absolutely NOT replacing the bus line down woodward. in fact i'm pretty sure they are integrating them pretty well with each other in terms of ticket transferring and what not...

this guy just comes in and throws out exaggerated and made up statistics.. it's pretty funny and pathetic to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post

Sy, get a life old man. Please don't come around the city with your attitude, I don't want to see a story about you getting your just reward for copping an attitude with someone or running your crusty old mouth at someone with real problems .
    You need to check your attitude and learn some manners, young man. You are a very insolent young fellow.

And by "surrounding communities" do you mean your home in Fort Wayne, Indiana?

And precisely what do you mean by my "just reward" or "just deserved" before you edited your post? By the way, the expression is "just desserts".

Just to clarify something that's come up here, there have never been any plans to scale back the DDOT 53 bus in any way based on the M1 Rail service coming on line. As someone posted, M1 and the 53 and SMART buses will complement each other. If you ride the 53 from the northern part of Detroit, for example, you are aware that the bus is often extremely crowded between midtown and downtown; the M1 will help to relieve that congestion.

Also, people taking the crosstown bus [[14) and headed further south along Woodward will now have the option of taking either the 53 or M1. Partly it will depend on the final destination, as M1 does not serve as many stops as the local bus - some people will prefer to take the bus to save a longer walk.

Actually it will be interesting to see what part of the existing bus ridership migrates to M1, as opposed to the people who will use M1 who do not now use transit at all, or much at all.

*sigh* O well, can we just hurry up and get to the part where trains and buses can do 0-60 in 3 seconds if they want them to? That was the best part of this thread last time around

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    You need to check your attitude and learn some manners, young man. You are a very insolent young fellow.

And by "surrounding communities" do you mean your home in Fort Wayne, Indiana?

And precisely what do you mean by my "just reward" or "just deserved" before you edited your post? By the way, the expression is "just desserts".
    Welcome to the internet where not everyone is as nice to you as your grandson.

Welcome to the internet where not everyone is as nice to you as your grandson.
    I don't have any grandchildren, kid. My children do not yet have children of their own. I am only 49 years old and my children are in their early twenties. But nice try at using rudeness and total lack of manners to mask a complete lack of a cogent argument.

I am done with you, son. I see no need to trifle with an intellectually deficient child. I have wasted far too much time and too many keystrokes on you, and I regret that. I can not recover that time in my life. You may now use your dearth of intellectual skills to ignorantly attack me all you wish.

Goodnight, and best wishes for a decent and intelligent life. May you outgrow your immaturity and rudeness and be a productive and decent human being when you grow up. I truly wish you the best. Shalom!
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-23-14 at 09:49 PM.

Calling strangers kid and son is pretty immature for a 50 year old. Perhaps you're young enough to take your own advice.

Your reading comprehension skills are lacking old man. What I meant is this, nobody cares to hear you interject about how your suburb is better than the city or how Detroit is a lost cause.

As for where I live, yes I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana.I live in the city, in a historic neighborhood. Congrats on finding that out old man. Which is why I certainly don't care about your suburb or the generations of your family who didn't live in Detroit. Sorry your story isn't interesting, nor is your crummy suburb.

If you ever want to hear the story of a Jewish orphan who was born out of wedlock and dumped in an NYC orphanage, only to be adopted by a woman in Czechoslovakia to work a farm for several years, I'll tell you about my Great Grandma. So spare everyone the Shalom bullshit pal.
    Last edited by Dbest; September-24-14 at 06:02 AM.

I don't have any grandchildren, kid. My children do not yet have children of their own. I am only 49 years old and my children are in their early twenties. But nice try at using rudeness and total lack of manners to mask a complete lack of a cogent argument.

I am done with you, son. I see no need to trifle with an intellectually deficient child. I have wasted far too much time and too many keystrokes on you, and I regret that. I can not recover that time in my life. You may now use your dearth of intellectual skills to ignorantly attack me all you wish.

Goodnight, and best wishes for a decent and intelligent life. May you outgrow your immaturity and rudeness and be a productive and decent human being when you grow up. I truly wish you the best. Shalom!
    You want respect after you repeatedly label someone "son"? Teach what you preach. If you want respect you have to earn it. This lesson was lost on you at an early age or just never taught. You were the one that was rude to begin with in the way you addressed him as son, now you want to play the victim like you were attacked. Pathetic.

Not sure if I've attacked you personally, if I did I'm sorry. I'm sure your a wonderful father and a hard working gentleman. If anything I'm going to attack your narrow minded ideas. I'm also sorry you feel like this has been a waste of time I've rather enjoyed our back and forth.

But your condescending use of "son" and "kid" are quite the immature interjections as well. I'm not your son, or kid, or buddy, or pal. Your self-entitlement to think you have already garnered my respect for you is also quite laughable. I've used rhetoric to lay out the case on why M-1 Rail is needed and will probably succeed [[not just on this thread either), and all you seem to have done is covered your ears and say, NO NO NO. Just because you are 30 years my senior and live in a well-off suburb does not automatically give you respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I think when Pfeiffer beer went belly up the loss of advertisement revenue made them unsustainable.
    This thread should have ended right here. That's freaking hilarious and needs to be acknowledged as such.

Meanwhile, a man in Dublin outruns the city's light rail: http://vimeo.com/105650094

This will be great for Canadians [[there is going to be a connection to the tunnel bus). Easy access for nurses working at Henry Ford, students going to Wayne State, sports fans going to the stadiums, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2