Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eat in the D

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Coming in with a perennial favorite, Scotty Simpson's out in Brightmoor, 64 years and still going strong.
    Forgot about Scotty's.....have to make a trip soon, hands-down the very best FRESH fish dinner around!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Zeff's at Eastern Market is awesome. The soul food place off Riopelle and Jefferson not bad either.
    What's this soul food place you speak of?

Pappy's for breakfast before football. Limited menu but a good stop if we're not tailgating. The ham shop is really good for a full menu breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What's this soul food place you speak of?
    steve's downtown [[key club is upstairs), 1440 Franklin St.

I read this thread Friday and tried to find some Alabama chicken but the place on Jefferson appears to be gone from the party store. The fixtures look like they're still there. Anyway, Steve's is just around the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    steve's downtown [[key club is upstairs), 1440 Franklin St.

I read this thread Friday and tried to find some Alabama chicken but the place on Jefferson appears to be gone from the party store. The fixtures look like they're still there. Anyway, Steve's is just around the block.
    The Alabama's fried chicken was replaced by a Happy's Pizza express [[limited menu compared to the other places), but that shut down, too. Most of the cooking infrastructure was removed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Agree. They're large, they're cheap but there's better Shawarmas around.
    Please, please tell me who has a better schwarma because I've been on a hunt. Living in Dearborn Ht's area I've tried alot and most have been just "meat" wrapped in a lukewarm hard bread. Finding one my way would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Please, please tell me who has a better schwarma because I've been on a hunt. Living in Dearborn Ht's area I've tried alot and most have been just "meat" wrapped in a lukewarm hard bread. Finding one my way would be great!
    Golden Bakery on Warren in Dearborn is hard to beat. Be sure to grab a fresh cheese pie to go with it.

Vincente's Cuban Cuisine. All around good Cuban food, although a bit pricey. Or maybe it was the 2 bottles of wine....

Mercury Bar's burgers are pretty good as well. Better than expected.

I'm trying to keep with the theme of this thread and keep it Detroit only. Pita Café in Oak Park or Birmingham is better, IMHO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    The Alabama's fried chicken was replaced by a Happy's Pizza express [[limited menu compared to the other places), but that shut down, too. Most of the cooking infrastructure was removed by now.
    Thank God, there is an Alabama Chicken on Mack near Alter. Awesome.

Try Supergreenland supermarket, Warren and Miller roads. You can tell the guy what you want on it as he makes it. They have a few booths but primarily it's carry-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try Supergreenland supermarket, Warren and Miller roads. You can tell the guy what you want on it as he makes it. They have a few booths but primarily it's carry-out.
    Stopped at the Bronco Lounge instead......

I agree. I go to Supergreenland often! The carry-out prices are VERY reasonable - you can purchase fried fish with the head still on from time to time. The grape leaves though small are very inexpensive compared to what you get at a 'specialty' store. I love their mixed rice with ground beef and nuts caserole and baked meats. Then there is the fresh fruit also far, FAR less expensive then say Krogers!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Yes, I prefer them with the pickled greens and onions along with the meat with an authentically strong garlic yogurt paste for dipping. Yummy. Can't eat a 'Mr Pitas' when you've had a good Schwarma!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Stopped at the Bronco Lounge instead......
    That's where I learned to count to two.......

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I agree. I go to Supergreenland often! The carry-out prices are VERY reasonable - you can purchase fried fish with the head still on from time to time. The grape leaves though small are very inexpensive compared to what you get at a 'specialty' store. I love their mixed rice with ground beef and nuts caserole and baked meats. Then there is the fresh fruit also far, FAR less expensive then say Krogers!
    You could eat for a week @ Supergreenland for what you'd spend on a box of rice @ Ho' Foods.

I had a really tasty quesadilla at Zenith restaurant at the Fisher Building in New Center.

I have heard that the best chicken and waffles in town are served up by the New Center Eatery at Woodward and the Boulevard

The chicken quesadilla by Bucharest Grill is AWESOME!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    If I had to pick one, Buddy's Pizza
    Yes. Mom and Dad went on their first date to the one near Hamtramck. Still awesome [[waaaay better than the Dearborn one-cuz', the Dearborn one hires jaded local kids who don't care that this is their first job-they run the the pizzas too rapidly through some conveyer belt; sad, that this will be some folks only first impression of Buddy's without checking out the one on Conant.) and with a lively atmosphere. The Staff is very polite and helpful.

Evie's on Bagley for breakfast, huevos rancheros
    Duly's on Vernor for lunch, two coneys with everything side of hash browns
    El Barzon on Junction for dinner, Cecina El Barzon
    Casey's Bar on Central & Dix for a nightcap

aaah what a day indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Delray Kid View Post
    Evie's on Bagley for breakfast, huevos rancheros
    Duly's on Vernor for lunch, two coneys with everything side of hash browns
    El Barzon on Junction for dinner, Cecina El Barzon
    Casey's Bar on Central & Dix for a nightcap

aaah what a day indeed!
    Try the Huevos Napalitos @ Evie's next time. El Barzon is a bit pricey for Mexican, but elegant and good. Do they still do Italian? Is that any good?

Since I love cactus and and it is so darn healthy for you, I will try the Huevos Nopalitos next time that I stop by Evie's. I may have to pass on the colorful mexican cookie that the pass out to you after your meal if I am in the healthy mode though!

Barzon definitely still serves Italian fare. Chef Garita honed his Italian cooking skills at Il Posto in Southfield. Yes it can get a little pricey however, the mexican side of the menu has a variety of tacos that you can get a la carte that aren't too expensive and the lunch menu has smaller portions with a smaller price tag as well.

... are there any cool mexican/latin restaurants that are not in southwest Detroit but still in Detroit?

Roast is a truly top tier steakhouse.

Supino's is authentic Italian pizza.

Joe Muer Seafood is an icon and a true dining experience.

Wright & Co. is the perfectly-executed New American place we've been needing, and an experience in its own right.

Taqueria El Rey is one of the coolest, most delicious Mexican restaurants I have ever been to.

Eastern Market is one of the top all-around food districts in America, and one of the most unique urban marketplace districts.

Cadieux Cafe is a one of a kind bar.

[Can't wait to try: Selden Standard, Gold Cash Gold, Ottava Via, Antietam, and Craftwork. And can't wait for Guns + Butter to arrive on the scene].

Mexican - Carne asada tacos at Lupita Taqueria

Eastern European - Chicken schwarma Bucharest grill

Middle Eastern - Lamb schwarma plattar at Cafe Al Karar

Greek - Gyro at Golden Fleece Greektown

Asian - Seaweed salad, dumplings and pulled pork red curry at Johnny Noodle King

Brunch - Chicken/Waffles at New Center Eatery

Romantic dinner/Italian - outdoor dining at La Dolce Vita

Bar food - mystery meat sliders at Green Dot Stables

Best Patio - Seva Midtown and/or Hopcat Midtown

Best dessert - Dangerously Delicious Pies - Third Street Bar

Last edited by ALPOE; January-18-15 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added photo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast