ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eat in the D

Since 1960 original family still runs Vince's

http://albeerpoe.blogspot.com/2014/0...ince-1960.html

Name:  VINCE CANNOLI.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  91.1 KB

Salvadorian PuPuseria corner John Kronk n Livernois for 5 years now.

http://albeerpoe.blogspot.com/2014/0...-yuca-too.html

Name:  PUPUSERIA.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  96.8 KB

Motz corner of Fort n Green since 1929 must get the Double Sliders outstanding on a bed of grilled onions.

http://albeerpoe.blogspot.com/2013/1...-now-motz.html

Name:  motz burger.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  30.7 KB

Real Canadians plating the Real Poutine the cities very best now for 5 years,,,where you been. Brooklyn Street Local in Corktown

http://albeerpoe.blogspot.com/2013/0...r-detroit.html

Name:  poutine.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  41.6 KB

Mediterranean Cafe. Downtown Pizza Papalis [[Forgot to mention that on the Greektown thread), Cyprus Taverna, La Pita, Armando's, Polish Village Cafe, Xoximilco's [[just because it used to stay open on weekends until 4am.-I'm that bad of a night owl.), and there were many others, but many of them don't exist anymore. Some swear by Dot & Etta's, but our family went to Bet & Jessie's for cod and shrimp [[and once, frog's legs).
    I respect El Comal for being there for my family [[along with the Ste. Anne's Parish) and handling the wake, after my dad passed away. The food at Lafayette coney wasn't what I would eat, but I have fond memories: watching four counter guys bicker in the late '80s about how one should pronounce "Penobscot" or watching the one guy do this trick where he'll pour up a glass of chocolate milk [[by request) in a long stream on someone's head without spilling a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    I respect El Comal for being there for my family [[along with the Ste. Anne's Parish) and handling the wake, after my dad passed away. T
    Not to hi-jack this thread but this mention of Ste Annes Parish causes me to ask a couple of questions. There are named areas of Detroit such as Greektown etc. What is the name of the area that Ste Annes is in? I went to school there in the 1st and 2nd grade so I was a bit young to learn all the areas. I was doing some Google Earth on Ste Annes and the old school building looks to be in use. Did they reopen the school? It was closed the last time I was there.

Officially, St. Anne's is in the Hubbard-Richard neighborhood. Some people call it Corktown Shores, but I refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Officially, St. Anne's is in the Hubbard-Richard neighborhood. Some people call it Corktown Shores, but I refuse.
    Thanks a bunch.

Evie's on Bagley! Have been eating those tamales for 30 years now, and still can't stop.

I guess Hamtramck doesn't count...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Evie's on Bagley! Have been eating those tamales for 30 years now, and still can't stop.
    Wow, How much do you weigh now?

Ah, those double-sliders are looking like a 'yummy' ruination and that is the most decadent plate of fries and cheese I've ever seen. Can't wait to try 'em......

Quote Originally Posted by ALPOE View Post
    Real Canadians plating the Real Poutine the cities very best now for 5 years,,,where you been. Brooklyn Street Local in Corktown

http://albeerpoe.blogspot.com/2013/0...r-detroit.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-20-15 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Giovanni's for dinner. Best Italian around!! Love the atmosphere and the tableside visits by Mama.
    I love Giovanni's! I never knew of it before folks from work took me there for my retirement dinner, and it was great!

Love the variety of sauces available at the Red Smoke in Greektown.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn.F View Post
    Love the variety of sauces available at the Red Smoke in Greektown.
    At the risk of angering people, I maintain that Redsmoke > Slow's. The sauces at Redsmoke are MUCH better.

Z's Villa on Piquette near Woodward. BEST pizza ever! Everything else is great too.

Great thread, love the pic's

I'll second Scotty's fish and chips in Brightmoor..

Rueben sandwich at Hygrade Deli.

World's best Italian sub at Gonellas, deep in Southwest.

A tasty homemade sausage omelet at Farmers Restaurant in Eastern Market.

Default Gonellas

Quote Originally Posted by Bro Greg View Post
    I'll second Scotty's fish and chips in Brightmoor..

Rueben sandwich at Hygrade Deli.

World's best Italian sub at Gonellas, deep in Southwest.

A tasty homemade sausage omelet at Farmers Restaurant in Eastern Market.
    I loved those subs; six layer or seven layer was about my max

Here's the vegetarian's Best of Detroit:

PJ's Lager House
    Brooklyn Street Local
    Detroit Vegan Soul [[on Agnes, awesome location)
    Dangerously Delicious Pies [[in 3rd Street bar)
    Motor City Brewing Works [[the pizzas)
    Last edited by nain rouge; January-24-15 at 10:39 AM.

I have too many favorites, but lately I find myself choosing between El Asador on Springwells or grabbing a slice of Dangerously Delicious pie over at Third Street when I'm looking for a tasty lunch.

It be all about de PuPsa corner John Kronk n Livernois

http://albeerpoe.blogspot.com/2014/0...-yuca-too.htmlName:  PUPUSERIA.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  96.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    I have too many favorites, but lately I find myself choosing between El Asador on Springwells or grabbing a slice of Dangerously Delicious pie over at Third Street when I'm looking for a tasty lunch.
    Chef Luis Garza El Asador Mexican Steakhouse

Name:  asador1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  84.5 KB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3