Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

DeVries is out for the season. I think his career is over. Hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure the Lions don't get any cap relief from this either.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    DeVries is out for the season. I think his career is over. Hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure the Lions don't get any cap relief from this either.
    Everything I've ever heard about DeVries seems as though he's a great guy in the locker room too. And for a guy that never really seems to be blessed with amazing skill, he has shown some moments of brilliance.

I'm not gonna get excited like last year, when we went undefeated for the exhibition season. The lions are very good at breaking hearts, hopes and dreams.

lilpup Guest

But, you know, that means they engender hope in the first place, and that's something worthwhile around here, especially nowadays.

Question: Who will be the Lions' starter for game 1?

Answer: Drew Stanton? Probably not, but he's got one important quality ... he has the ability to run for his life.

27-26 Lions win!

lilpup Guest

That was certainly a change! How long has it been since we've seen decent clock management by the Lions?

If anyone is interested, a tape-delay of the Lion's victory will be shown on Channel 62 at 8pm tonight.

Lilpup, I didn't realize you were a real fan, and to mention clock management, you must be more than your average fan.
    Last edited by gnome; August-15-09 at 06:30 PM.

Late in the third. Lions down by 6. Have not seen so many smiles on Lion's faces for years. Playing well.

Question: Who will be the Lions' starter for game 1?

Answer: Drew Stanton? Probably not, but he's got one important quality ... he's getting it done.

Hold off before you buy your tickets this year. They are going to be really, really cheap.

Thumbs down

Bottom line is you have to have talent. And the Lions
    have very little. In fact, none when it comes to the important
    positions.
    It will be another sad year at Ford field. It's too bad because we
    deserve better.
    I love the NFL but I cannot stand the joke of a football team we have.
    As long as Ford owns the team they will suck, this team is snakebitten
    and the owner is a moron.
    After the pennant run by the Tigers I'm ready for the Wings and the "new" Pistons.
    The Lions can get lost, if they're not already.

It won't take long for the lion smell and style to get to Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Stafford.

lilpup Guest

Thinkin' Stanton should be the #2 QB

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Thinkin' Stanton should be the #2 QB
    He sure seems to know what to do in the redzone.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    He sure seems to know what to do in the redzone.
    But from what we've seen of him, it's been against the other team's third & fourth stringers. It's not to say Stanton doesn't have some talent, but to appoint him over a veteran such as Culpepper or a highly drafted rookie in Stafford doesn't make sense.

Let's hope to the football gods that injuries don't occur to the top two QBs where Stanton has to come in to play.

And as of now, he's on the shelf with a bum knee.

We knew it was going to happen sooner or later but just a few minutes ago, Matthew Stafford was named the opening game QB for the Lions.

So the era starts. Let's hope he's the real deal and we fans can cheer him on.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    We knew it was going to happen sooner or later but just a few minutes ago, Matthew Stafford was named the opening game QB for the Lions.

So the era starts. Let's hope he's the real deal and we fans can cheer him on.
    Good. I welcome this move. If you're going to draft a guy first overall and pay him truckloads of money, he ought to be playing. Certainly, I wish him well.

Most of the preseason predictions for the Lions are totally unacceptable to me. The bar is so low, they could crawl over it. Last year's fiasco shattered all my expectations for this team. Their first win this year will come as a total surprise.

Still ... I can't wait!!!

Gotta disagree on Stafford as QB.

The way things have histroically worked around here, is that the fan base is all rosey-cheeked and supportive until week 5 or 6 when the boo-birds come out of hibernation.

this year, the fans are already at week 6, the boo birds are hanging in the rafters; any mess up by Stafford and he'll be booed out of town.

Playing a rookie too early has proven to be a horrible idea: Chuck Long, Harrington, etc. To me, you go with a veteran until its proven he can't do the job. Culpepper hasn't proven he can't win, can't lead, can't dedicate himself to he team. He's come in to camp in great shape and has done a fine job in the games he's been in; not fantastic, but pre-season isn't about fantastic it is aout knocking rust off hinges and finding the right combination of people to work as a team.

We don't have any idea if the Lions have enough of the supporting staff to insure a successful Matt Stafford. I fear we are going to create a very expensive broken man in Stafford.

gnome, I agree with you, to an extent, if both QB's were playing the same, I would have started the vet, I think you owe that much to the other veterans on your team. But the powers that be have spoken so let the future begin. Throw him in there and let him take a few lumps, It will either build character, or destroy his confidence, either way you know exactly what your paying $50 million for.

I haven't a speck of doubt, that Ford told Schwartz to "Play Stafford". Let the games begin.

There are so many different schools of thought regarding starting or not starting a rookie QB. Some say toss him into the mix and let him get experience and some say let him be the clipboard bitch for a season or two.

Like many others here I think I would've started Culpepper over the rookie, Stafford. We all know this team will be his eventually. But the things that I think Culpepper could've brought beyond the veteran presence would've been a stabilizing factor to this team. It would've bought Stafford some time before he took the reins. I think it was Mike Rosenberg of the Freep that wrote an article a few months back with certain conditions for Stafford to start. If memory serves me correctly, one of the biggest criteria was to see how this offensive line works. If it can protect Culpepper, it surely can protect Stafford. Most offensive lines are unproven at this beginning of the year and Detroit's was atrocious throughout the year. I wouldn't have risked injury to Stafford just yet.

At the earliest I would've started Stafford [[barring injury to Culpepper) would've been after the Bye Week. At that point [[6 games), either the Lions are stunning the league with victories or destined to the cellar again. If we were 4-2 or better, I would be riding out Culpepper because he was doing a great job. Any less and I'm sure fans would've been clamoring for Stafford at that point and the team would've been able to deliver him during Week 8 versus a horrendous St. Louis team at home.

But seeing as how Schwartz has anointed Stafford the starting QB, we armchair QB types & devout fans will have to live with it. Who knows? Maybe we could be pleasantly surprised with this youngster and he does learn the game that much faster. Physically from what we've seen, he's got the tools. It's going to be his mental acuity and how he can make plays is what and why the Lions picked him first over all. I'm hoping that Stafford will try to utilize some of the other young guns we have [[Kevin Smith, Calvin Johnson, & fellow rookie Brandon Pettigrew) and not try to be the gunslinger and try to win games all by himself yet.

Personally, I don't think that Schwartz made the decision to play Stafford. Ford has a business mentality and he's not going to pay all that money, to someone on the sideline, holding a clipboard. I believe that's why Ford hired Schwartz,someone that never was a head coach anywhere, including high school. At least that is what someone told me about his coaching experience. Ford tells his coaches who to play, not at all positions, but some players he wants in the games. Examples, Harrington, Kitna, Calvin Jackson as a rookie, and more, I just can't think of the names. Ford will never hire a strong, independent minded coach. It's his team, win or lose.

final score 45 to 27 ...6 passing tds by Drew Brees, which just so happens to have tied a record for the most passing tds in a single game.

Stafford dumped a couple of ints and the penalties were of the singular Lions variety.

You've seen this all before. Another sucky, suck job.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    final score 45 to 27 ...6 passing tds by Drew Brees, which just so happens to have tied a record for the most passing tds in a single game.

Stafford dumped a couple of ints and the penalties were of the singular Lions variety.

You've seen this all before. Another sucky, suck job.
    Yep another QB has a career day against the Lions defense, how many times did that happen last year?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast