Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default McCormack Baron Salazar May Move To Detroit

Crain's Detroit Biz @crainsdetroit · 56m

MT @DayvMuller: At #dethomecoming McCormack Baron Salazar's Richard Baron is considering relocating St. Louis, Mo-based firm to #Detroit

Looks like the "Detroit Homecoming" is going well so far. Hopefully this happens - not sure how many employees this wind up being, but their Wiki page shows they have 435 as of 2011. They are a very respected firm that will be building this...

http://www.freep.com/article/2013072...Globe-Building

This is just sad... All these posts about this company may move here or that company may move here... Has our city really become so desperate?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    This is just sad... All these posts about this company may move here or that company may move here... Has our city really become so desperate?
    Chill out. A company of almost 500 employees is considering moving to the city from out of state. Obviously it is not set in stone, but that is news in itself...albeit more of a hope right now.

I hear Queen Elizabeth is moving to Detroit too. It was on twitter so it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear Queen Elizabeth is moving to Detroit too. It was on twitter so it must be true.

Here's the thing chief, Crain's is a reputable source and they are the ones hosting the detroit homecoming, so if they're tweeting something from it, it holds merit..

pessimism on this board is on another level

Why would touting a potential move of an out-of-state company of 500 or so employees be "sad"? Not exactly something that happens every day around here [[nor every week, month or year). I'm for anything that adds to the tax base and brings talented people to the region, especially the city.

Why yes, yes it has.

So it would be sad if Apple or Google or Texas Instruments decided to up and move to Detroit? Guess I don't quite understand the pessimism. If a large company is considering moving here, why not be excited about it?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    So it would be sad if Apple or Google or Texas Instruments decided to up and move to Detroit? Guess I don't quite understand the pessimism. If a large company is considering moving here, why not be excited about it?
    Because numerous people on this forum never see any good news in anything.

I didn't see a single thing in that article that indicates McCormack Baron Salazar is thinking of relocating to Detroit.

Maybe someone should inform them of the way things work in the "D", though. Instead of committing to spending $60 million to redevelop a neighborhood, you're supposed to demand handouts, tax subsidies, and DEGC demolition funds. Then you can scorched-earth bulldoze acres of earth, build an isolated Pleasure Dome without any sort of surroundings or context, and funnel all the cash directly into your own pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I didn't see a single thing in that article that indicates McCormack Baron Salazar is thinking of relocating to Detroit.
    Baron himself said it at the Detroit Homecoming conference as tweeted by Crain.

Never forget this is the guy who has those GRAND plans to take the near-east side back to nature.

Doing it from St. Louis...didn't seem 'right'...but if he moves here, I'll go to work with him myself, but only in a position to keep his enterprise sensitive to those who have lived in the city while he bailed. Overall, those plans are more solid today, since we've got a reasonable owner for the Packard now...hell, the likelihood of THAT was one of the most far-fetched of his plans for the area!

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Never forget this is the guy who has those GRAND plans to take the near-east side back to nature.
    Much of the "near-east side" is already "back to nature..."

Detroit500, have you looked around much? Things are rather desperate, despite all the wonderful trends. We need jobs, investment, and tax revenue. It's great when a company moves from a suburb. It's stupendous when a company moves from out of state. And frankly, the move of a large company to even a city that is already prosperous would likely make waves. So stop your scoffing.

I truly believe Detroit is going to come back on the backs of its citizens making small and meaningful contributions. Its also going to come back based on a contraction of the suburbs. Its also one thing to say you heard someone is interested in maybe moving possibly to Detroit, and a formal announcement confirming the move. Throughout the weekend, there were multiple people making these claims too. There reaches a point where I want to see tangible things, not promises that may very well prove to be empty or worse.

Totally agree with all of what you said.

Big moves from out of state are few and far between, so I think it is understandable for folks to get excited about even the prospect of such a move. Something worth anticipating!

... anything positive had better happen soon. 10 years from now isn't worth waiting for.