Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    As appose to Grand River and Hubble [[jokes)......

Funny....that'll be the Day....

I hear you on that, but HF is VERY high. You really need to be making a very strong income to shop there full-time. And I find their juice option to limited. I'd prefer to see a Trader Joes, which while not fully organic is a more affordable bridge to off the full process, fructose stuff.
    I may be wrong on this, but my experience is that Whole Foods is not really designed for full-time shopping, nor do most of their regular customers buy all of there groceries there. Whole Foods is more of a specialty store where people go to get certain items that are hard to find at regular grocery stores.

You don't have to make a ton of money to shop at Whole Foods, as long as you aren't buying everything there. I think most people are buying things like non-GMO bread, free-range chicken, organic produce items, specialty prepared foods, and things like that at WF, and also going to Meijer/Kroger/Wal-Mart for other basic grocery and household items. It's like buying a nice coat or shoes at an expensive specialty clothing store, and buying socks and underwear at Target.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I may be wrong on this, but my experience is that Whole Foods is not really designed for full-time shopping, nor do most of their regular customers buy all of there groceries there. Whole Foods is more of a specialty store where people go to get certain items that are hard to find at regular grocery stores.

You don't have to make a ton of money to shop at Whole Foods, as long as you aren't buying everything there. I think most people are buying things like non-GMO bread, free-range chicken, organic produce items, specialty prepared foods, and things like that at WF, and also going to Meijer/Kroger/Wal-Mart for other basic grocery and household items. It's like buying a nice coat or shoes at an expensive specialty clothing store, and buying socks and underwear at Target.
    I think there is use for both. If I lived in Midtown, I would likely go there for most of my shopping. Everything except meat, probably, since that is about 5x the cost of normal meat.

I like the way you put that. I'd never go to WF for a bottle of catchup but yes, I do like some of their other items as I can afford them. Some of their lotion and hair care products are now my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post

Existing store becomes a Trader Joes, now that WF has proven that Detroit was underserved in this market segment. Current small WF is just about the right size for regular TJ.

Seeing that their store is doing fine in midtown, I think WF probably would like a more normal sized store now, with a full catering detachment -- which I understand forms a large part of their revenues.

btw, here's from their 2013 'letter to stakeholders':

WE ARE ACCELERATING OUR GROWTH.With our fourth consecutive year of increased new store openings, we are demonstrating that we can accelerate our growth in a culturally sustainable way. In the first quarter, we opened stores in three different countries, a company first! The six stores we purchased in the Boston area were all remodeled and re-opened by year end, helping to revitalize our brand in one of our oldest markets. In addition, we opened a store in downtown Detroit, providing fresh healthy food to an underserved community. We have similar stores planned for New
    Orleans, Newark and Chicago.
    [[emphasis added)

About Papa Joe's-- I had read they abandoned plans for the Downtown location due to what turned out to be exorbitant cost, but this more recent release from their publicist seems to suggest the possibility is alive again-- http://goo.gl/JS6iA5

I don't know about that Midtown Whole Foods. Usually I walk in, shake my head and leave. Occasionally I'll grab something from the prepared foods area. They just don't stock many of the [[more basic, usually) items I'll occasionally pick up at their other locations.

Someone mentioned Meijer not offering organic apples. I'm quite sure they do, though it could be they're not at all locations.

I do agree that 8 & Woodward gateway to the northern suburbs would seem a logical location for Whole Foods. E Jefferson makes no sense to me. I'd don't think there's enough sustained demand from The Villages and as has been mentioned I don't think Grosse Pointers will shop in sufficient numbers at a west-of-Alter location-- not that they're that hungry for Whole Foods items at those prices anyway, I don't think.

I'd love to see Trader Joe's put a store in Midtown. The retail in that area has gotten so upscale it's really pricing out students, WSU clerical staff and the many non-professional hospital workers. I hope Bucharest moves ahead with their plans for the North End location, or better yet finds a spot a bit further south, for the same reason. I worry that pricing students out of the neighborhood will have a negative impact on the university's attractiveness to potential students.

taboot taboot

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    About Papa Joe's-- I had read they abandoned plans for the Downtown location due to what turned out to be exorbitant cost, but this more recent release from their publicist seems to suggest the possibility is alive again-- http://goo.gl/JS6iA5

I don't know about that Midtown Whole Foods. Usually I walk in, shake my head and leave. Occasionally I'll grab something from the prepared foods area. They just don't stock many of the [[more basic, usually) items I'll occasionally pick up at their other locations.

Someone mentioned Meijer not offering organic apples. I'm quite sure they do, though it could be they're not at all locations.

I do agree that 8 & Woodward gateway to the northern suburbs would seem a logical location for Whole Foods. E Jefferson makes no sense to me. I'd don't think there's enough sustained demand from The Villages and as has been mentioned I don't think Grosse Pointers will shop in sufficient numbers at a west-of-Alter location-- not that they're that hungry for Whole Foods items at those prices anyway, I don't think.

I'd love to see Trader Joe's put a store in Midtown. The retail in that area has gotten so upscale it's really pricing out students, WSU clerical staff and the many non-professional hospital workers. I hope Bucharest moves ahead with their plans for the North End location, or better yet finds a spot a bit further south, for the same reason. I worry that pricing students out of the neighborhood will have a negative impact on the university's attractiveness to potential students.
    Trader Joes could move into the former Ye Olde Butchers Shoppe location

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    ybe near Lafayette Park in the spot where the YWCA or the apartment building once were.
    Can't go there. There are recorded deed restrictions. No retail - only nonprofit, educational, residential or white-collar office.

HB

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    The article mentioned Jefferson Avenue. There is certainly enough land to pick from if they are thinking East Jefferson.
    Avenue of Fashion area would be another good spot for the area has the income to support it

As appose to Grand River and Hubble [[jokes)......
    Does the joke involve the fact that there is no such intersection?

^^^ Opps! Good point. Hows about Joy Rd and Grand River!

They'd get my business if they would.

I don't think it would end up in Jefferson-Chalmers area. I do think though, a possibility is east jefferson a bit closer to downtown maybe somewhere near the joseph barry subdivision.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    I don't think it would end up in Jefferson-Chalmers area. I do think though, a possibility is east jefferson a bit closer to downtown maybe somewhere near the joseph barry subdivision.
    I disagree. The closer you move it to the Pointes, the better chance you have of success. You'll draw customers from those areas too. I have nothing against people from there, but most won't venture too far into the City.

[QUOTE=NickCharles;453335]Does the joke involve the fact that there is no such intersection

True enough there is no Grand River/Hubble intersection, however there is, in fact, a Grand River/Hubbell intersection.

Are you seriously concerned about another Whole foods Store opening in a city the size of Detroit? If you don't like them, don't go there. If they fail, so what. I can't understand why the people of Detroit are so negative about a private enterprise attempting to making a go of it in the city and succeeding or failing at their own expense. Oh no, someone attempted to add another business to the city and it failed or succeeded. I just can't quite understand the negativity of a city that needs new resources. I do find the negativity of a business that sees a potential opportunity to expand in a market that is somewhat devoid of natural foods [[although high end) somewhat shortsighted.
    Great cities need diversity and options.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Are you seriously concerned about another Whole foods Store opening in a city the size of Detroit? If you don't like them, don't go there. If they fail, so what. I can't understand why the people of Detroit are so negative about a private enterprise attempting to making a go of it in the city and succeeding or failing at their own expense. Oh no, someone attempted to add another business to the city and it failed or succeeded. I just can't quite understand the negativity of a city that needs new resources. I do find the negativity of a business that sees a potential opportunity to expand in a market that is somewhat devoid of natural foods [[although high end) somewhat shortsighted.
    Great cities need diversity and options.
    What are you talking about?

That's a point OG. HF is not stupid. They are not going to set up in an area where they will fail full out. And people have a choice, and would have more choice with more stores which is why I champion the idea of a Trader Joes.

That's a point OG. HF is not stupid. They are not going to set up in an area where they will fail full out. And people have a choice, and would have more choice with more stores which is why I champion the idea of a Trader Joes.
    Hear, hear....

Good luck to that company! Zacarros and Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe tried their luck, but failed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2