Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
What is so wrong with the Mound Rd. site? According to wiki it was built in 1994 and I remember the state said WC could have it for a dollar. I don't know much about jails but couldn't a 20 yr old state pen make do for a county jail for a while with some upgrades?
The spin is the needs of a jail are different, something about the logistics of moving prisoners in and out for short stays typical of a jail, vs long stays for a state pen, so the existing prison would require a lot of rennovation. I don't understand the transportation issue either. If transportation was such a problem, why do they have the jail in Hamtramck?

There have been a lot of people implying the new jail was sited downtown for reasons of graft, the bigger the amount of money involved, the more that can be skimmed off and pocketed.

But that's all water under the bridge. We have $150M in the ground, so the question is where do we go from here? I just think walking away from the other viable facilities downtown, at even more expense to taxpayers, for Dan Gilbert's conveniance, just continues the graft that started with the new jail.