Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Stop picking on white people! Racist!
    Stop it, you're making me giggle!

Willi Guest

It's all how you define something, right ?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Exurbs

Exurbs

Master Planned Communities that lay outside the ring of city suburbs.
    Exurbs are where people can live in big, crappily built houses on the cheap,
    pretend to be rich yet shop at Walmart, while they spend 2 hours a day
    commuting to and from their highly mortgaged cribs.
    A place where a trip to the grocery store is a social event that involves a 10 mile drive.
    Where Daddy feels pressure to lease his teen a BMW,
    while he makes mom drive the 10 year old mini-van.
    A place where Daddy spends so much time in the car
    he goes ahead and installs a TV in the garage so he's more comfortable.
    An area where Mom never doesanything except walk
    around the Exurb TownCenter in Her JUICY velvet leisure suit,
    with her 3x's too big ass and crocs. Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't know if that post is your attempt @ sarcasm or not, but here's another article with a bit more detail, and an answer to Gistok's question.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/four-cha...iple-homicide/
    Thanks Honky Tonk.... the puzzling part of all this was.... what was the motive? We've not actually heard anything about that or how this case is progressing. Was it robbery, drug related, revenge, ??? Not one word in that regard from law enforcement.... or anything??

Crimes like this are more typically suburban/exurban vs urban. They rake in millions vs. the paltry returns from smash and grabs. Barely a peep about this.

Cancer doctor Farid Fata pleads guilty, admits giving patients unneeded treatments

Im disappointed... You folks played right into the race troll's hands giving him exactly what he wanted. A prosaic worn out conversation that we didn't need to have... again... for the who knows how manyth time.
    mods should have deleted this shit from the jump. We do have mods right?
    Last edited by rex; September-16-14 at 08:36 PM.

April Millsap likely victim of attempted sexual assault before her killing
    Investigation reveals evidence that murderer first tried to sexually assault 14-year-old Armada girl

It may be telling that this^ most sensational exurban murder mystery of the moment has not been discussed on this forum. On the positive side a hopeful break in the case has occurred today.

Property of April Millsap found in Armada swimming pool

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    April Millsap likely victim of attempted sexual assault before her killing
    Investigation reveals evidence that murderer first tried to sexually assault 14-year-old Armada girl

It may be telling that this^ most sensational exurban murder mystery of the moment has not been discussed on this forum. On the positive side a hopeful break in the case has occurred today.

Property of April Millsap found in Armada swimming pool
    I thought this was a forum to discuss Detroit [[and complain about its near suburbs)? How does a murder in a farm town an hour away even apply? It is hardly "telling" that people are not discussing that poor child's murder. Trying to make that sort of case is a stretch at best. This thread was dumb to begin with -- lets not take it to a whole new level.

The point is, it would be ridiculous to make generalizations about the suburbs being full of crime, and savages committing them, just because there is crime out there. And yet, as we all know, many people are comfortable generalizing about the city and its residents. Interestingly, many of them are the same people who will get on a jet and go to other cities with comparable crime problems without those prejudices carrying over.

As for those decrying "suburb bashing" or declaring that we should paper over these sorts of biases and move on, remember that these attitudes are a bullet in the abdomen of our region. Yes, it takes a lot of pain and fussing to remove the bullet. But the only other choice is to let it fester as we ignore it.

And if some of that conversation involves a little humor and ribbing, so be it. It's absurd that people who ostensibly live in nice homes [[in safe neighborhoods with broad, green lawns) are so fragile when it comes to a little teasing ...

Willi Guest

I think its strange that people will bicycle in the suburbs, but avoid coming across 8 mile

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    I think its strange that people will bicycle in the suburbs, but avoid coming across 8 mile

C'mon now, you know the reason very few cross 8 Mile.

An obvious attempt to get %#&* started.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't know if that post is your attempt @ sarcasm or not, but here's another article with a bit more detail, and an answer to Gistok's question.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/four-cha...iple-homicide/
    So, are they just not facing charges relating to the torture or is charging them with murder enough...? I would imagine the police should want to throw every single charge they can at these turds to keep them behind bars as long as possible... Oh well, what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I wouldn't say that it's completely irrelevent that the newcomers are black; there are plenty of studies on locational preferences, and generally speaking people do not prefer to live near poor black families, so this may kind of reinforce the decline, but in any case, South Macomb is in relative decline regardless of the race of families moving in.

And it may be income/class moreso than race; blacks moving into someplace like Eastpointe tend to have more of a working class background. There are also lots of black families moving into places like Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield and Novi, yet I doubt there's a decline, as the families tend to be highly educated and high earning.
    That's a very odd way to word this sentence. Do you live in a world where poor black families aren't "people"?

Willi Guest

And yet all the ""poor"" black folk from the southern states came to Detroit and Warren, Michigan
    to work in the automotive facilities in the 1960's and everyone made a lot of money and
    all was well in the world........go figure. I believe there are some bigots on the boards

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/E...BikeLanes.aspx

Bicyclists traveling between suburbs and city have something to look forward to this summer as plans for four miles of new bike lanes have been finalized. Through a mix of private and public funding, the bike lanes will connect Detroit with the communities of Warren and Center Line.

The planned bike lanes will mostly run along Van Dyke Ave, from Stephens Rd in the suburbs to Outer Drive in the city. The lanes will then run along Outer Drive and connect to the Conner Creek Greenway, which runs all the way to Maheras Gentry Park on the Detroit River.

The connection to the Conner Creek Greenway is an important one, linking up with a route that has been in various phases of construction since 2006. The Conner Creek Greenway is a combination of paved lanes and off-road trails that was started to beautify the area around Coleman A. Young International Airport, which was receiving a lot of traffic on account of Detroit hosting the Super Bowl that year. While a large majority of the greenway is complete, small sections remain.
    Last edited by Willi; September-17-14 at 11:09 AM.

And yet all the ""poor"" black folk from the southern states came to Detroit and Warren, Michigan
    to work in the automotive facilities in the 1960's and everyone made a lot of money and
    all was well in the world........go figure...
    Well the fact of the matter is we're not living in the 1960s any more.

There was a thread on here where people were discussing how much money they earned in their first jobs. One guy in particular graduated from Cass Tech in 1968 and walked into a job based in Warren practically the next day, without any experience, making what's equivalent to $20/hr in 2014 dollars.

There's no way a DPS high school graduate, short of [[at best) earning an engineering degree with a 4.0 GPA from University of Michigan or an Ivy League Schowol, will have that same opportunity allotted to them in 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well the fact of the matter is we're not living in the 1960s any more.

There was a thread on here where people were discussing how much money they earned in their first jobs. One guy in particular graduated from Cass Tech in 1968 and walked into a job based in Warren practically the next day, without any experience, making what's equivalent to $20/hr in 2014 dollars.

There's no way a DPS high school graduate, short of [[at best) earning an engineering degree with a 4.0 GPA from University of Michigan or an Ivy League Schowol, will have that same opportunity allotted to them in 2014...
    An engineer from U of M with a 4.0 GPA is making waaaaay more than $20/hour out of school.

The issue is that the labor needs of our economy have changed much faster than our methods of preparing citizens for the world. If you have a technical education then there is plenty of work for you right now. If you have a technical education and aren't able to get a job working for someone else there is plenty of work for you to create right now. But there is an overabundance of unskilled labor so we will never again see companies pay premiums for uneducated, unskilled workers.

Willi Guest

So as long as people, """of any race, skin color, creed, ethnicity, """" have JOBS,
    then everything is good, crime is low, and people move about freely ?
    Detroit is most certainly busy on Event nights downtown , but that involves buying a ticket.

So as long as people, """of any race, skin color, creed, ethnicity, """" have JOBS,
    then everything is good, crime is low, and people move about freely?
    Sure.

The reason normal people end up in multi-generational poverty and subsequently succumb to a life of crime is out of desperation to survive. Jobs that pay living wages will provide these folks with an honest means to survive.

The problem is Michigan has not only failed to establish an environment where enough of these jobs can be created, but Michigan has also failed to invest in enough opportunities for education so that enough people will qualify for said jobs.

The fact of the matter too is not everyone can work in a STEM field or health care, as not everyone will have the means to pay for this type of education nor the intellectual capability necessary to complete the education requirements for these fields. Yet, these same folks will still end up being a net emotional and financial drain on our state as not only will we have to spend more money to arrest them, place them on trial and imprison them, but these folks will also leave behind nothing but trauma and embitterment as they'll hurt others to get what they need.

BTW, on a somewhat related note, yesterday I read in the Detroit News that Harper Woods residents should be on "high alert" as there have been a ton of home invasions occurring recently...

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    An obvious attempt to get %#&* started.
    The truth hurts doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    BTW, on a somewhat related note, yesterday I read in the Detroit News that Harper Woods residents should be on "high alert" as there have been a ton of home invasions occurring recently...

Harper Woods is becoming ghetto-like in the last 10 years. When lot's of middle income black families from Detroit East Side coming across Kelly Rd. and Moross Dr. few white middle class residents move out. Just like the did in Detroit many years ago. Harper Woods, Southfield, Eastpointe, Oak Park, Lathrup Village, River Rouge, Ecorse, Inkster and Redford TWP. is a prime example of how white middle class flight and black middle class settlement happens.

By 2040 there will few burn down blighted lots on Harper Woods than the neighborhoods in Highland Park.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That's a very odd way to word this sentence. Do you live in a world where poor black families aren't "people"?
    Well now that this thread has fully degenerated into mindless race-baiting, ignorance of actual data, and general tomfoolery, please tell me where I indicated that poor black families aren't composed of human beings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Well now that this thread has fully degenerated into mindless race-baiting, ignorance of actual data, and general tomfoolery, please tell me where I indicated that poor black families aren't composed of human beings?
    When you said that "people" didn't want to live by them?

Yes, people generally don't want to live near poor black families. What's your point? You think people living in the ghetto are generally there by choice?

NW Detroit, probably the best part of Detroit, lost most of its middle class over the last 20 years. As soon as people have enough to leave, they do so., because they don't want to be around the underclass. Doesn't mean the underclass is "bad", it's just an established pattern of flight from the ghetto.
    Last edited by Bham1982; September-17-14 at 03:16 PM.

Maybe English isn't his first language.

He should hire an interpreter to help him post on Detroityes, like the foreign dignitaries who can speak English but don't give interviews in English so that they don't accidentally say something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Maybe English isn't his first language.

He should hire an interpreter to help him post on Detroityes, like the foreign dignitaries who can speak English but don't give interviews in English so that they don't accidentally say something stupid.
    Actually, English isn't my first language, yet I still apparently have much better command than the race-baiters on this thread. Must be the evil suburban schools.

I still never wrote or implied that poor black families aren't composed of people. In fact I specifically referred to people not wanting to live near such families. Obviously, in the case of Detroit, the people leaving Detroit tend to be poor[[er) and black[[er) than folks in the Metro area in general. If they can get out, they do get out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast