Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm still waiting to hear about why these 4 first brutally tortured and then murdered 3 people, including this young man...
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...g-detroit-home

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    He using the term "ethnics" to distinguish them from white upper class WASPs like himself and his friends in B'ham and Bloomfield.

Sheesh... does everything need to be explained these days?
    I'm Catholic. And I'm one generation removed from poverty.

The Pointes have the real WASPs anyways. Bloomfield area, while it has some WASP pockets, was never a big bastion of WASP-dom. Birimingham traditionally was a bit more WASP than Bloomfield.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    South Lyon would be as far out as I draw the line along the I-96 corridor, for ex-burbs to Detroit.
    Actually, yeah, I think I would agree with this. Kensington Metropark or so is about as far west as I would go to define "Detroit".

Hey, if I hadn't clicked on the link, I wouldn't have got the status update on David Jaye.
    http://www.macombdaily.com/general-n...=topstoriesrot

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear about why these 4 first brutally tortured and then murdered 3 people, including this young man...
    He was "white ethnic", give the perps all probation.

All this rhetoric does not solve any of the real issues here.

1. Bashing a burb does not help Detroit proper. It is just spite/hate.
    2. People act out of fear, poor areas have a lot more to be fearful of than richer areas. [[Most of Clinton Twp BTW is not a lilly-white bastion of wealth and superiority).
    3. We are all in this boat together folks. It don't matter if you live in the central city or the exurbs. We share a common geography, economy, and diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

2. People act out of fear, poor areas have a lot more to be fearful of than richer areas. [[Most of Clinton Twp BTW is not a lilly-white bastion of wealth and superiority).
    3. We are all in this boat together folks. It don't matter if you live in the central city or the exurbs. We share a common geography, economy, and diversity.
    Just as an FYI, DP, I have distant family in Clinton Twp., and their neighborhood, in which the home are the larger and more expensive variety, has been racially integrated for going on 25 years now. Carry on.

14 and Gratiot is a particularly seedy area of Clinton Twp.

And I remember Dave Jaye talking to my 7th grade class!

I think some folks also missed the point here about the usage of words like "savages", "animals", etc.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-15-14 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    14 and Gratiot is a particularly seedy area of Clinton Twp.

And I remember Dave Jaye talking to my 7th grade class!

"Never mix your brown and clear liquors kids!"

Willi Guest

Gun Culture - owning a gun solves everything - regardless where you happen to be.
    Only 32,000 ordinary regular homosapiens were killed last year alone - No big whoop !
    Just another dead person, see that one there, a few over there, hey look 5 over yonder.

Until 20 or 30 million people die every year, due to guns , the USA simply doesn't care.
    Immune, hardened, callous, un-sympathetic to a human life killed by a bullet.

Funny Factoid
    The annual human flu in the U.S. "results in approximately 36,000 deaths
    and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year.
    In addition to this human toll, influenza is annually responsible
    for a total cost of over $10 billion in the U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Above is the exact truth.
    It is time to stop tearing ourselves to pieces.

^^^ My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    Catholics have never been a "white ethnic" in Michigan. In New England and NYC, sure.
    And as far as I can tell, neither are Chaldeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In part, yes. Poor East Siders are getting out of the East Side, and moving to South Macomb. They're replacing elderly white ethnics who are dying off. The kids who grew up in South Macomb didn't stay, and are buying homes north of Hall Rd.
    So basically you're saying that since the poor blacks started to move in Macomb Cty, it started to decline, which I take offense to. You make it seem like ALL blacks are trifling. I'm willing to bet that it was declining before they moved there, but people won't admit it. Comments like this is another reason this area will never succeed towards harmony between ALL people. Post #31 says it all, and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    So basically you're saying that since the poor blacks started to move in Macomb Cty, it started to decline, which I take offense to. You make it seem like ALL blacks are trifling. I'm willing to bet that it was declining before they moved there, but people won't admit it. Comments like this is another reason this area will never succeed towards harmony between ALL people. Post #31 says it all, and I agree.

I'm also agreeing with Cincinnati_Kid. Recent demographic reports from NYtimes population data shows that 15 to 30 percent of low income blacks are moving quickly into eastern parts of Clinton TWP. The area attracted to low-income and poor blacks is 15 Mile Rd. and Gratiot Ave. There's is housing complex and a co-operative housing on 15 Mile Rd. next to WADL TV 38 Station. Low-income blacks from Mt. Clemens and more from East Side Detroit have been migrating to that area since the late 1970s and accelerated after the year 2000. Does that mean more middle income white folks are starting move out of the area? Yes. But still more middle income white folks are still hanging on in most well kept up neighborhoods in Clinton TWP. And they wanted to quite diversified not to have too many poor folks hanging around.

Over the past 25 years Eastpointe [[formally East Detroit). Saw an influx of black middle class to low-income families moving into neighborhoods north of E. 8 Mile Rd. to 9 Mile Rd. from Gratiot Ave. to Kelly Rd. near the border of St. Clair Shores. Even in some parts of Warren south end. East Detroit Public School District black student population exploded by 51 percent. In 2014 black middle class folks and fewer low-income black families increased to 77 percent in areas North of E. 8 Mile Rd. to 9 Mile Rd. from Gratiot Ave. to Kelly Rd. bringing Eastpointe's black population to 35 percent. Roseville have seen and fast growth of blacks [[ not just on Ten Mile Rd east of Gratiot Ave.) but all some parts in 12 Mile Rd. west of Gratiot Ave. from Utica Rd. to Groesbeck Rd.

If these area areas being attracted by black folks, white families are moving out, not quickly but as soon as their families get old and the kids move away. Just it did in the most Detroit ghetto hoods.

By 2030 there will more black middle to poor class families moving from Detroit or anywhere to the suburbs simply because of the unsolvable urban problems: crime, blight, poor schools, safety, gangs, drugs and years of political corruption. It will not be Macomb County suburbs but Oakland County and rest of Wayne County, too. Face it folks! More black folks are leaving Detroit in droves. They want better living conditions the same as white people. They can't put up some 'Berlin Wall' like the Detroit ghetto hoods of Mendota St. to Illene St. south of W. 8 Mile Rd. or some so called farmer's market on Kercheval St. and Alter Rd. Restrictive covenants and pointe systems will not keep middle to poor black Detroit families from moving out. Blacks live everywhere. So don't try to stop them! Putting racist comments or having an all white police force for racial profiling will not faze them. Let them be as long as they disrupt peacetime in the America. They are not terrorists! They are human beings being humane.
    Last edited by Danny; September-16-14 at 05:55 AM.

I'm saying South Macomb started declining, because the old folks started dying off, and black families from the East Side filled the void.

I wouldn't say that it's completely irrelevent that the newcomers are black; there are plenty of studies on locational preferences, and generally speaking people do not prefer to live near poor black families, so this may kind of reinforce the decline, but in any case, South Macomb is in relative decline regardless of the race of families moving in.

And it may be income/class moreso than race; blacks moving into someplace like Eastpointe tend to have more of a working class background. There are also lots of black families moving into places like Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield and Novi, yet I doubt there's a decline, as the families tend to be highly educated and high earning.

Also, a lot of the trashiest parts of South Macomb are mostly white. Roseville is really looking bad, and Roseville is definitely more white. South Warren is still heavily white, and is definitely trashy looking in parts.
    Last edited by Bham1982; September-16-14 at 07:06 AM.

Fascinating information Danny, thanks!

How rich. Using this thread [[founded on BS, trolled race baiting) as you soap box to call out someone for what you think is racial undertones. Where is your disdain for the OP's point? The irony of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    How rich. Using this thread [[founded on BS, trolled race baiting) as you soap box to call out someone for what you think is racial undertones. Where is your disdain for the OP's point? The irony of it.
    Stop picking on white people! Racist!

I lived at 10 & Gratiot for awhile recently, and it's clear that South Macomb is going down. The biggest problem is that it has poor proximity to jobs. Good employers are in Oakland County or have mostly consolidated around Hall Road, and as a consequence most of the good entertainment and shopping is out that way as well. The houses are mostly old and in need of maintenance, and really, there's just no reason to live there if you can move away to Oakland County or Hall Road. The only bonus is that the real estate is cheaper.

"I like my house at 9 & Schoenherr because it's close to the lowest paying and most exploitative Detroit industries," says a new citizen of South Warren. "Plus, the local grocery stores are awful, and I have drive far away to go shopping for new items."
    Last edited by nain rouge; September-16-14 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah, I wonder why the article failed to mention that they were tortured. Is the Liberal Media trying to cover up the savage acts of These Urban Detroiters??????

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I lived at 10 & Gratiot for awhile recently, and it's clear that South Macomb is going down. The biggest problem is that it has poor proximity to jobs. Good employers are in Oakland County or have mostly consolidated around Hall Road, and as a consequence most of the good entertainment and shopping is out that way as well. The houses are mostly old and in need of maintenance, and really, there's just no reason to live there if you can move away to Oakland County or Hall Road. The only bonus is that the real estate is cheaper.

"I like my house at 9 & Schoenherr because it's close to the lowest paying and most exploitative Detroit industries," says a new citizen of South Warren. "Plus, the local grocery stores are awful, and I have drive far away to go shopping for new items."
    Southern Macomb County was always blue collar/working class, just like the east side of Detroit. Roseville, at one time, was the destination for good shopping/entertainment for east siders after everyone began fleeing Detroit and before Hall Road became developed.

Now, as the industrial jobs that used to provide the economic support to this area have either been offshored, automated, or eliminated altogether due to the reduction in demand by the automakers, it's more or less going to hell in a handbasket.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-16-14 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Read the frickin post !! Bham's comments had racial undertones throughout, and I called him out on it. As for you, your comments are part of the problem, not the solution. You're nothing more than a agitator. And you're right, this has nothing to do with the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Yeah, I wonder why the article failed to mention that they were tortured. Is the Liberal Media trying to cover up the savage acts of These Urban Detroiters??????
    I don't know if that post is your attempt @ sarcasm or not, but here's another article with a bit more detail, and an answer to Gistok's question.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/four-cha...iple-homicide/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast