Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

One aspect of the job market I am seeing now, that I have never seen in close to 30 years in the business world, is young people in their twenties who accept a job offer and then do not follow through. I hire someone and they agree to start on a specific date and they don't show up. Not even a courtesy phone call to say they have taken another position or changed their mind. And these are professional career positions that pay between $60k and $70k per year to start with the potential to easily make twice that or more in just a few years.

Also, it is amazing what you see in some of the young people who come in to apply or interview. Some show up late for their interview. Many come in without a suit and tie. Some have even come in wearing t-shirts! I had one who received a text message during an interview and he interrupted me to reply to it. Many come in without a pen and ask to borrow one to fill out paperwork. Some come in looking like they just rolled out of bed.

Too many people today do not want to put forth the effort to succeed. It is much easier to demonize those who are successful and expect everything to be handed to you than it is to work toward a goal. Learn the curriculum pertinent to your desired career. When applying or interviewing for a position dress professionally. Turn off the cell phone. Show up at least 20 minutes early. Bring your own pen. Look and behave like you're serious about using your best efforts and skills for the betterment of the company.

When I was fresh out of college and applying for a job the president of the firm asked me where I wanted to be in 10 years and I told him, and not in a cocky manner, "I want your job". It took a bit longer than 10 years but now I have his job.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-21-14 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    A lot of HR people really don't know much about the positions they seek to fill.
    It's the exact reason they have that HR position, and not the open position requiring "skills"
    This is a huge problem at companies, and why many of them end up using recruiters/headhunters. The only problem is that recruiters and headhunters are essentially HR people that don't want to work in HR departments, and are equally clueless in what they are hiring for. Even when some purport to specialize in a particular field, say IT, none of them have any technical experience, so they have no idea what the client needs and if a particular candidate is better suited than another.

This middleman in the majority of hiring processes these days is another hurdle into getting the right people for the right job.

There's a lot of meat in this article: Experts: Apprenticeship degree can land in-demand job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    From today's Free Press: It's a good time to find a Detroit-area job, ask for a raise, survey shows

Despite their help-wanted signs, customers are starting to walk out of a local Tim Horton's because they're so understaffed. That may be annoying but it's a sure sign that business needs more workers. Yea!
    Recent update: Now their customers are starting to stomp out of that location. One customer was so ticked off that he slammed the door open hard enough to break the door closer off and crack the door's window too!

Their help-wanted sign used to say "weekends mandatory." Now they've relaxed that language to "full- and part-time positions available."

It's kind of odd to see folks get so worked up about baked goods and coffee.

Caffeine addiction aint no joke!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3