Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Freep gets it right with this Instagram...

http://instagram.com/p/ssPGCfD72k/

True... but no one has put a stadium in the middle of the CBD... it is on the edge... and there's plenty of space left to still build on. But I do agree that a sea of parking is not a good way to go about it....

Every time I read someone whine about parking at stadiums, I think of the Seattle police officer who I once complained to about Kingdome parking. "Don't tell me. I'm not the one who designed a 60,000 seat stadium with parking for 800 cars." The other thought that comes to mind is that are people's memories so short they've forgotten about trying to find parking around Tiger Stadium?

Seattle has the same issue with Century Link [[Seahawks and Soundes) next to Safeco [[Mariners). There was one date this year when the M's drew about 35k for a game that was immediately followed by a Sounders game that drew about 55,000. Traffic was horrible, but was eased somewhat by the light rail that serves the stadium complex.

If you saw the guy streaking down Woodward screaming "I am going to be the first naked guy on the M-1 Streetcar" that would be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Not even close to true, and not even my point. Re-read the post.

Most of the most thriving cities have their sports stadia outside the city center. Everything in London, everything in Paris, everything in NYC except for MSG [[and that will be demolished and moved).

Even in the U.S., in the most thriving cities, the major football/baseball stadia are not usually in the city core. NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, SF, DC, etc. tend to have their venues on the fringes or completely outside the city centers.

The cities that tend to have everything in the city core tend to have pretty dead city cores [[Detroit, Cleveland, Indy, Atlanta, etc.).

But my bigger point isn't whether cities decide to make the same decisions re. sports stadia, but whether sports stadia help downtown cores. They generally don't. They aren't economic development, they displace activity, they have very limited usage, and they force massive moats of parking. They just aren't very good at fostering urbanism or economic activity.
    Please, re-read my post. I said in or near the CBD. That would include all of Chicago's Stadiums, Cleveland, Toronto, Heck you can even argue that Barclay's and Yankee are near the CBD's of Brooklyn and 125th Street/Harlem. Detroit built them where they are for three reasons:
    1. Cheap Land
    2. Ilitch
    3. The desire to not have a sea of parking like what is found in Milwaukee. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...b447de9450d0b4

waiting for the inbound Jefferson bus after 5 pm today was horrible...

While we debate this and that...

Roughly 13.7M watched. Most of them saw that impressive view of Comerica and Ford Field as Detroit was #1 Monday in the sports world.

Here is Crain's article:

The broadcast of the Detroit Lions’ season-opening 35-14 victory over the New York Giantson Monday Night Football drew a 10.3 average household rating on ESPN and a 20.3 on WXYZ-Channel 7 in the local television market.
    Nationally, the game averaged an 8.4 rating, according to ESPN, which translated into 13.7 million viewers nationwide.
    The telecast peaked from 9:45-10 p.m. with an 11.1 rating and 18 million viewers, ESPN said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2