Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I think Brush Park could be improved. Obviously it's not a totally busted area, but there's a lot of empty land for new houses and they'd all be close to Woodward Avenue and Comerica Park.

Eventually [[2017?) they'll be close to the new Red Wings stadium on the other side of Woodward, too.
    Brush Park is slated for a slew of infill housing and mixed use development. IMO it's the most underdeveloped and strategically located real estate in the City. Let's just hope the leadership does it right this time and doesn't pull another Crosswinds move.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick
    I totally agree. I've also been hearing it for 20 years. I accepted that at one time but after traveling to other cities repeatedly in much less time than 20 years and seeing the changes they've made taking 20 years to make an incremental change is unacceptable. I've had a few friends not from here that have visited say "I see changes but why does it take soooo long for so little?"

I visit the Twin Cities now and then, and there you can see an older Midwest urban area really making great strides. There are two substantial light rail lines, and I always see plenty of riders on both. The city is actually building a new stadium over the site of the old Metrodome - imagine that! The neighborhoods are almost all truly livable, and there are many vibrant retail corridors comparable to what Gratiot and Grand River could've been.

The problem in Detroit, I think, is that you practically have to reinvent the wheel. The neighborhoods are/were basically all hit, with few exceptions. The business strips are largely decimated. There are barely any normal old neighborhoods to build upon. So focus #1 is just reestablishing a normal neighborhood, which is incredibly tough when the population is still in a free fall. It includes constructing tons of quality infill, which again, takes time.

Meanwhile, areas like the Twin Cities can move forward on big projects because you already have stable, coherent neighborhoods. Metro Detroit really shot itself in the foot, leg, torso, arms, and head, and undoing damage that extreme is incredibly difficult. In Detroit, reclaiming a block of retail is HUGE and an immense take. In another city, they can reclaim an entire strip with almost the same effort it takes for a block in Detroit.

What can you do? Detroit has made big strides, but as I visit more and more cities, you almost wonder why we should bother to expend the energy. You can already have what Detroit is struggling so mightily to provide in cities all over the country. It's disheartening. If it wasn't home, I don't think I'd care in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    Brush Park is slated for a slew of infill housing and mixed use development. IMO it's the most underdeveloped and strategically located real estate in the City. Let's just hope the leadership does it right this time and doesn't pull another Crosswinds move.
    Until I saw this today on Model D, I did not realize that the newer Request for Proposals for Brush Park included higher density limits. It would be great to see some denser housing in this area.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/B...tPartDeux.aspx