Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is a good question. I would like to think the neighborhoods closest to Midtown but development in Detroit is very very very slow compared to other cities I've been to. Midtown and Downtown are developing but at the current rate [[considering it stays at the current rate) I don't see a neighborhood revitalizing in another part of Detroit for at least 20 years.

I think I've been hearing "...20 years" statements for the past, well 20 years.. And here is where we are. It's not good enough. More has to be done for the outlying neighborhoods, and radically so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I think I've been hearing "...20 years" statements for the past, well 20 years.. And here is where we are. It's not good enough. More has to be done for the outlying neighborhoods, and radically so.
    IMHO, it's enough to say, "which" or "when" without addressing "How".

A lot of these questions are addressed in the Detroit Future City framework and their corresponding updates. For those of you who haven't looked at this, you absolutely need to. Their office wants to hear from average, everyday citizens to communicate with you about what they are doing, what is coming up on deck, and feedback about how it is [[or isn't) affecting you.

http://detroitfuturecity.com/faqs/

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I totally agree. I've also been hearing it for 20 years. I accepted that at one time but after traveling to other cities repeatedly in much less time than 20 years and seeing the changes they've made taking 20 years to make an incremental change is unacceptable. I've had a few friends not from here that have visited say "I see changes but why does it take soooo long for so little?"

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Don't go tempting no Rob Ford now, y'hear?
    I meant Michael Ford of the AATA. He is paid $200k to run the RTA.

Henry Ford brought JOBS

The NEW Mr. Ford brings a tax on car licenses to operate SMART and DDOT.

So, Detroiters can work at Wally Mart in Livonia?

I don't want the 2016 tax, so I'm organizing formal opposition against this.

Sans good paying jobs so we can af FORD good schools, roads, cars, transit and a decent quality of life, there won't be very many areas coming back.

Who said the Packard Plant [[area) - Jimmy Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Who said the Packard Plant [[area) - Jimmy Ray?
    If and when the Packard Plant gets going this will be the next neighborhood, err the neighborhood surrounding it. I foresee businesses starting to magnetize toward that area, bringing housing along with. Just please don't tear down the Packard Motel.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    I meant Michael Ford of the AATA. He is paid $200k to run the RTA.

Henry Ford brought JOBS

The NEW Mr. Ford brings a tax on car licenses to operate SMART and DDOT.

So, Detroiters can work at Wally Mart in Livonia?

I don't want the 2016 tax, so I'm organizing formal opposition against this.

Sans good paying jobs so we can af FORD good schools, roads, cars, transit and a decent quality of life, there won't be very many areas coming back.
    Hey, can you lay out your new conspiracy theory on how thing will destroy SMART for me? I'm curious because the above sentences with spaces in between them seem awfully disjointed and don't make a ton of sense. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I think Brush Park could be improved. Obviously it's not a totally busted area, but there's a lot of empty land for new houses and they'd all be close to Woodward Avenue and Comerica Park.

Eventually [[2017?) they'll be close to the new Red Wings stadium on the other side of Woodward, too.
    Brush Park is slated for a slew of infill housing and mixed use development. IMO it's the most underdeveloped and strategically located real estate in the City. Let's just hope the leadership does it right this time and doesn't pull another Crosswinds move.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick
    I totally agree. I've also been hearing it for 20 years. I accepted that at one time but after traveling to other cities repeatedly in much less time than 20 years and seeing the changes they've made taking 20 years to make an incremental change is unacceptable. I've had a few friends not from here that have visited say "I see changes but why does it take soooo long for so little?"

I visit the Twin Cities now and then, and there you can see an older Midwest urban area really making great strides. There are two substantial light rail lines, and I always see plenty of riders on both. The city is actually building a new stadium over the site of the old Metrodome - imagine that! The neighborhoods are almost all truly livable, and there are many vibrant retail corridors comparable to what Gratiot and Grand River could've been.

The problem in Detroit, I think, is that you practically have to reinvent the wheel. The neighborhoods are/were basically all hit, with few exceptions. The business strips are largely decimated. There are barely any normal old neighborhoods to build upon. So focus #1 is just reestablishing a normal neighborhood, which is incredibly tough when the population is still in a free fall. It includes constructing tons of quality infill, which again, takes time.

Meanwhile, areas like the Twin Cities can move forward on big projects because you already have stable, coherent neighborhoods. Metro Detroit really shot itself in the foot, leg, torso, arms, and head, and undoing damage that extreme is incredibly difficult. In Detroit, reclaiming a block of retail is HUGE and an immense take. In another city, they can reclaim an entire strip with almost the same effort it takes for a block in Detroit.

What can you do? Detroit has made big strides, but as I visit more and more cities, you almost wonder why we should bother to expend the energy. You can already have what Detroit is struggling so mightily to provide in cities all over the country. It's disheartening. If it wasn't home, I don't think I'd care in the slightest.

The only reason I think Detroit is recovering at all is that it provides ridiculously cheap urban bones that are at the same time being surrounded by a fairly wealthy metropolitan area. So you can move in from wherever and open a restaurant or shop at a way lower cost, and if you do alright you can draw in a bunch of suburban money. And it makes you feel good about yourself. You can say that you're helping to bring back a major American city.

anonJD Guest

You must continue to dedicate all of your energies on the core of Midtown, Downtown, Corktown. And to a lesser extent, Indian Village/West Village and Palmer Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Hey, can you lay out your new conspiracy theory on how thing will destroy SMART for me? I'm curious because the above sentences with spaces in between them seem awfully disjointed and don't make a ton of sense. Thanks in advance.

He will also need the tax to cover Washtenaw too. That is where the rub will be. They already have lots of taxes to cover transit and may resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    Brush Park is slated for a slew of infill housing and mixed use development. IMO it's the most underdeveloped and strategically located real estate in the City. Let's just hope the leadership does it right this time and doesn't pull another Crosswinds move.
    Until I saw this today on Model D, I did not realize that the newer Request for Proposals for Brush Park included higher density limits. It would be great to see some denser housing in this area.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/B...tPartDeux.aspx

That Great Guy Guest

Next August 2018 OR on any vote on SMART, the following applies despite how you vote.

ALL existing service remains for those who rely on SMART, even the able bodied.
    ALL SMART union mechanic and bus driver and ALL SMART jobs remain
    ALL Federal and State CTF money remains
    ALL property taxes remain AND your taxes will not be lower

There is no threat of SMART shutting down, thanks to Roza Parks.

I fully and completely prove the above with ALL facts.

Type save the fuel tax org

I publicly challenge Michael Ford of the RTA to a debate.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; September-09-14 at 07:39 PM.

Next August 2018 OR on any vote on SMART, the following applies despite how you vote.

ALL existing service remains for those who rely on SMART, even the able bodied.
    ALL SMART union mechanic and bus driver and ALL SMART jobs remain
    ALL Federal and State CTF money remains
    ALL property taxes remain AND your taxes will not be lower

There is no threat of SMART shutting down, thanks to Roza Parks.

I fully and completely prove the above with ALL facts.

Type save the fuel tax org

I publicly challenge Michael Ford of the RTA to a debate.
    Save the fuel tax came up with a site from 1997 Tripod, is this the right one? http://.................../ because I'm pretty sure I coded those like 20 years ago.

That Great Guy Guest

Save the fuel tax came up with a site from 1997 Tripod, is this the right one? http://.................../ because I'm pretty sure I coded those like 20 years ago.
    The site is blocked cuz Lowell got some complaints. I want him to post for all to see. I filled up 4 bus routes by programming SMART radios and computers. When MDOT cut funds, everyone in Livonia who lost bus service kept SMART

All funds are secure for SMART

All mechanic and bus driver jobs are secure by the findings in the website

I would like to see a thread on DetroitYES for public transit with my website fully challenged and made well known by everyone in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties.

YES, I can fill up the buses with 24/7 service every 30 minutes or less. My plan was copied by SEMCOG and unlike their plan, mine came off the shelf and worked.

Today, I'm still filling up SMART buses and with support can fill them all up and double the ridership. I can move 40,000 cars per day off the freeways and I prove it.

The site is outdated but is being rebuilt. I need support to stop the freeway expansions that come at the cost of bus service reductions.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; September-10-14 at 08:48 PM.

I believe this thread has taken a bit of a turn. I wonder if the city would consider sending rfp for other sparce/Dense neighborhoods like he doing with brush park. Obviouslg demand would have to.go up tremendously. I could see it happen to areas like the north end or woodbridge west of rosa parks. But diversify the developers to create some aesthetic diversity.

The site is blocked cuz Lowell got some complaints. I want him to post for all to see. I filled up 4 bus routes by programming SMART radios and computers. When MDOT cut funds, everyone in Livonia who lost bus service kept SMART

All funds are secure for SMART

All mechanic and bus driver jobs are secure by the findings in the website

I would like to see a thread on DetroitYES for public transit with my website fully challenged and made well known by everyone in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties.

YES, I can fill up the buses with 24/7 service every 30 minutes or less. My plan was copied by SEMCOG and unlike their plan, mine came off the shelf and worked.

Today, I'm still filling up SMART buses and with support can fill them all up and double the ridership. I can move 40,000 cars per day off the freeways and I prove it.

The site is outdated but is being rebuilt. I need support to stop the freeway expansions that come at the cost of bus service reductions.
    So when your car is breaking down regularly and has 250k miles on it, do you say "EVERYTHING IS CURRENTLY GREAT AS IT IS, KEEP THINGS AS THEY ARE"? When your roof is leaking, do you say "OH THAT'S NO BIG DEAL DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT THAT'S HOW ROOFS ARE"? Do you completely lack the ability to comprehend reinvestment in infrastructure, and the economic benefits that they provide? Or are you basically Ayn Rand's puppet for "EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES"?

That Great Guy Guest

So when your car is breaking down regularly and has 250k miles on it, do you say "EVERYTHING IS CURRENTLY GREAT AS IT IS, KEEP THINGS AS THEY ARE"? When your roof is leaking, do you say "OH THAT'S NO BIG DEAL DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT THAT'S HOW ROOFS ARE"? Do you completely lack the ability to comprehend reinvestment in infrastructure, and the economic benefits that they provide? Or are you basically Ayn Rand's puppet for "EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES"?
    On August 5, 2014 the vast majority voted YES to increase the property tax for SMART with an extra $27 Million per year.

The save the fuel tax org website was and is designed to defeat SMART tax increases. If it were well known, 99 per cent of the voters would have checked NO.

Only Mr. John Hertel and his top workers, corrupt MDOT officials and those who know nothing about mass transit would have voted YES

It is either I get funding to go after SMART or "EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES", unless others go after SMART. The property tax is pure greed to fill the pockets of top SMART officials too lazy and incompetent to make public bus service work to serve everyone.

On August 5, 2014 the vast majority voted YES to increase the property tax for SMART with an extra $27 Million per year.

The save the fuel tax org website was and is designed to defeat SMART tax increases. If it were well known, 99 per cent of the voters would have checked NO.

Only Mr. John Hertel and his top workers, corrupt MDOT officials and those who know nothing about mass transit would have voted YES

It is either I get funding to go after SMART or "EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES", unless others go after SMART. The property tax is pure greed to fill the pockets of top SMART officials too lazy and incompetent to make public bus service work to serve everyone.
    Yep, only Your Worst Enemy John Hertel wanted to vote yes. How well stocked is your Doomsday Shelter? Do you have plenty of extra food and ammo?

That Great Guy Guest

Yep, only Your Worst Enemy John Hertel wanted to vote yes. How well stocked is your Doomsday Shelter? Do you have plenty of extra food and ammo?
    It's the people who voted YES without even knowing the purpose of raising this tax which is basically communist greed that is the enemy.

No, Mr. John Hertel is not my enemy at all. I'm sure his Doomsday Shelter is well stocked thanks to the generous property owners who are too stupid to demand a real public bus system instead of being SMART

Thank you for your post
    Last edited by That Great Guy; September-12-14 at 07:32 PM.

It's the people who voted YES without even knowing the purpose of raising this tax which is basically communist greed that is the enemy.

No, Mr. John Hertel is not my enemy at all. I'm sure his Doomsday Shelter is well stocked thanks to the generous property owners who are too stupid to demand a real public bus system instead of being SMART

Thank you for your post
    People chose to raise the tax because our representatives are unable to provide the proper funding for a functioning system. This is not communism, it's actually a very good case of Democracy in action. Our elected officials, too busy passing legislation for social issues and tax breaks for big businesses, did not properly fund what many in the tri-county region see as a valuable asset to our continued growth. So we voted on it, and funded it.

SMART needs the money. They don't have magical money trees and Possible Hitler Youth Leader John Hertel isn't hoarding all the money. SMART has been chronically underfunded to the point where they cannot replace their fleet. But I know all of this is lost on you, So It's Okay.

SMART has NOTHING to do with neighborhoods in Detroit. It is not allowed to pick up passengers in neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    SMART has NOTHING to do with neighborhoods in Detroit. It is not allowed to pick up passengers in neighborhoods.
    Yes it does. John Hertel just collaborated with Dan Gilbert to gentrify Danny right out of town! With a SMART tax!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast