Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

MY POWER IS OUT! THE STORM ONLY HAD 75 MPH WINDS! DTE MUST SUCK! CONSPIRACY! I HATE RICH PEOPLE! ALL RICH PEOPLE HAVE POWER! I WILL DIE WITHOUT POWER!

Willi Guest

Alternative Electric Suppliers
    Licensed to Sell Retail Electric Generation in Michigan

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/electric/restruct/esp/aeslist.htm

http://www.bidurenergy.com/resources

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    After last night's storms, there are still around half a million people in the dark right now.

Down here, as of right now, half of Lincoln Park, Southgate, Allen Park, Taylor and Romulus, a third of Trenton, three-fourths of Grosse Ile and virtually all of Gibraltar and Flat Rock is still dark.

During the storm, a large area at the northeast corner of Eureka Road and Fort was in the dark as well.

In addition, the Dakota Inn also lost power, prompting the cancellation of the 26th Annual Chili Cookoff.

This is pretty unbelievable. And is the PLS system knocked out as well? If it is, this is pretty catastrophic.
    Canada seems to be doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    All 5 houses still have their power?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Buried electric service doesn't do much to prevent outages. The primary lines are still mostly above ground.
    If that is true then ITC should be the one being interviewed on all this media coverage, not DTE or Consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If that is true then ITC should be the one being interviewed on all this media coverage, not DTE or Consumers.
    Don't know who is being interviewed, I don't watch that crap. I know primaries are mostly above ground. I can see them sparking in the trees in my neighborhood that has buried service. ITC lines are in cleared right of way completely cleared of trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    That map only reflects DTE customers, there are no DTE customers in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If you want to blame anyone you can collectively blame yourselves. We have a long tradition of NOT investing in needed infrastructure around here. Look at the roads, remember the water mains last winter? How about the great transit we have.

We have made this mess by not insisting on keeping things well maintained. Notice how the richer areas that do bury cables were not as badly affected?

Look on the bright side, at least the freeways did not fill up with sewage!
    ^^^What he said.

We always want to assign blame on others when a bad incident happens [[blamed the weather man for a bad forecast, blamed the governor for not sending in the national guard, blamed the Unions, etc.), but we never want to accept our own obligation in the matter as taxpayers to invest in decent infrastructure...

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    MY POWER IS OUT! THE STORM ONLY HAD 75 MPH WINDS! DTE MUST SUCK! CONSPIRACY! I HATE RICH PEOPLE! ALL RICH PEOPLE HAVE POWER! I WILL DIE WITHOUT POWER!
    This is the main problem with modern politics. Power-hungry civic leaders abuse their positions to gain more power.

Willi Guest

"""never want to accept our own obligation in the matter
    as taxpayers to invest in decent infrastructure"""

Does that include me paying into the pocket of Gerard M Anderson
    so he can enjoy $ 5.4 million dollars a year as CEO of DTE ?

DTE Energy Company has been able to grow YEARLY revenues from $8.8 Billion USD to $9.7 Billion USD

Are you getting the service you expect from a $ 10 BILLION dollar company ?
    As a resident of Warren, Michigans 3rd largest city, I shouldn't need a generator 2-3 times a year

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...asp?ticker=DTE

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post

As a resident of Warren, Michigans 3rd largest city, I shouldn't need a generator 2-3 times a year
    If you feel that way, then be sure to write your leaders in Warren often and attend your city council/town hall meetings every week demanding that the Mayor of Warren and City Council invest your taxpayer dollars in underground wiring...

If that's still not enough and you don't want to deal with DTE Energy at all, then be sure to also write your leaders in Warren often and attend your city council/town hall meetings every week demanding that the Mayor of Warren and City Council invest your taxpayer dollars in establishing a public lighting department...
    Last edited by 313WX; September-07-14 at 12:56 PM.

Willi Guest

The mayor of Warren has a generator , he knows all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    The mayor of Warren has a generator , he knows all too well.
    He also has a 20-something secretary that gets lots of raises and happened to like holding his hand and sharing hotel rooms.

^^^ He must really have a 'generator'!

FYI, 'nother round of severe weather due for mid week.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ He must really have a 'generator'!
    They should also keep an ample stock of batteries to get them through the difficult times

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Wow. Here's a link to that map with a color legend.
    Thanks for the link - now the colors mean something!

I live downtown. I've never lost power or been flooded since I've lived here. #Utopia

try calling DTE, you're advised there's a long wait and to go on your computer to DTE
    tried that, was told they didn't recognize my address as one of their customers???? Guess I'll just wait it out, they're so busy updating the outage map and rolling figures out to everyone that
    actually taking a call or complaint is not important

power outages are horrible.. extremely aggravating.. also- do the power utility companies try to "bump up" the bill for the efforts expended in restoring power, or even for the "lost revenue" of the days when power was out?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    power outages are horrible.. extremely aggravating.. also- do the power utility companies try to "bump up" the bill for the efforts expended in restoring power, or even for the "lost revenue" of the days when power was out?
    Look at your bill. The answer is no.

I've looked at my bill.... The answer is yes.

Willi Guest

DTE wants the revenue, all about those dollars $$$$$$

Learn more about FAIR, COMPETITIVE pricing of electricity in metro Detroit
    http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/19523

Last edited by Willi; September-08-14 at 11:48 AM.

Every source I can find puts the national average at 12 cents per kw/h.

That's about what DTE charges right now, which means we're right on par.

Also, keep in mind that an alternative energy supplier has nothing to do with local transmission. If we were allowed to pick alternate suppliers DTE would still be in charge of local distribution.

Willi Guest

They [[DTE) makes $ 10 BILLION a year and spend less than 1/10th of it on maintenance.

Crains Business Week has a story today written by Jay Greene
    """DTE currently spends $750 million annually on maintenance
    and to improve lines and reduce the duration of power outages.""
    """Only $50 million annually is spent to rebuild its distribution system""

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast