It is difficult to call this good news in the face of so much that continues, but this is good news.

Consider the gloom if the carjackings were going up AND the population going down. That's how it use to be.

Meanwhile Crain's is reporting a 20% drop in car thefts YOY and a 60% drop since 2005. Some of that is tech as seen in the quote below but it all counts in my book.

I am not cracking the Dom Pérignon yet but I will have a cheer beer.

Auto thefts in the city of Detroit are down nearly 20 percent compared to this time last year. And they're down nearly 60 percent since 2005, when the city clocked more than 20,000.

The numbers are falling thanks to police work but also because cars are more sophisticated. Newer models won't start without a key, making hot-wiring vehicles almost impossible.

"As technology has changed in the cars, it's become more difficult for thieves to steal cars," said Sgt. Patrick Saunders with the Wayne State University Police Department who has been on assignment with Detroit Police Department's auto theft division for the past two years.

As of Nov. 9, there had been 9,120 autos stolen in the city, compared to 11,189 in 2013 and 11,504 in 2012. Detroit experiences the most auto thefts in the state, followed by Warren, Flint, Dearborn and Southfield, according to the Michigan Automobile Theft Prevention Authority 2013 annual report.