Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I just cant help but contrast this to the slight tap on the wrist to those who attempted to murder Steve Utash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smiles View Post
    I just cant help but contrast this to the slight tap on the wrist to those who attempted to murder Steve Utash.
    Utash was an innocent. Ms. McBride was far from innocent. There's little doubt that race is a factor. Let's have that dialog. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Wafer wasn't well defended here. Is this really justice? A man convicted on his own testimony and plea? If this were the south in 1940s, would we accept this? How will this look to us in the next few years. I don't like seeing someone convicted on technicalities of his own creation. Too much like our past treatment of blacks. You honor, I saw him furtively looking through the window at my white daughter. So he's guilty of something. She's dead. He must have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Utash was an innocent. Ms. McBride was far from innocent. There's little doubt that race is a factor. Let's have that dialog. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Wafer wasn't well defended here. Is this really justice? A man convicted on his own testimony and plea? If this were the south in 1940s, would we accept this? How will this look to us in the next few years. I don't like seeing someone convicted on technicalities of his own creation. Too much like our past treatment of blacks. You honor, I saw him furtively looking through the window at my white daughter. So he's guilty of something. She's dead. He must have done it.
    Well I don't necessarily think that the solution is for Wafer to get less. I think that if one believes [[as I also do) that Utash's perpetrators are getting more lenient sentences than Wafer, then the solution is for Utash's perps to get higher sentences.

I'm generally with you about people getting convicted on technicalities, etc. The problem though is that it crosses a line when someone has died. That is totally irreversible. Utah suffered greatly, and his life is changed forever. But he is still alive. At the end of the day, that difference is the big game-changer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Well I don't necessarily think that the solution is for Wafer to get less. I think that if one believes [[as I also do) that Utash's perpetrators are getting more lenient sentences than Wafer, then the solution is for Utash's perps to get higher sentences.

I'm generally with you about people getting convicted on technicalities, etc. The problem though is that it crosses a line when someone has died. That is totally irreversible. Utah suffered greatly, and his life is changed forever. But he is still alive. At the end of the day, that difference is the big game-changer for me.
    Did I miss something? Is Steve Utash dead?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Did I miss something? Is Steve Utash dead?
    No, Nothing @ all like that. He'll just be a permanently disabled vegetable for the rest of his life. Why he's lucky to be alive! What did he do again? Oh yeah, stopped to offer aid. Oh well, live and learn....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No, Nothing @ all like that. He'll just be a permanently disabled vegetable for the rest of his life. Why he's lucky to be alive! What did he do again? Oh yeah, stopped to offer aid. Oh well, live and learn....
    Dude, you're seriously reaching here. Steve Utash is alive, walking, talking, and back to work [[http://www.freep.com/article/2014080...-Utash-Detroit). Renisha McBride is dead until the end of time. What happened to both of them is sad but using the sentence of Utash's attackers to say anything about the fairness of Wafer's sentence is beyond ridiculous. I'm being ridiculous for even taking the time to respond to this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Dude, you're seriously reaching here. Steve Utash is alive, walking, talking, and back to work [[http://www.freep.com/article/2014080...-Utash-Detroit). Renisha McBride is dead until the end of time. What happened to both of them is sad but using the sentence of Utash's attackers to say anything about the fairness of Wafer's sentence is beyond ridiculous. I'm being ridiculous for even taking the time to respond to this nonsense.
    Unlike Ms. McBride, Mr. Utash was an innocent. Ms. McBride did not deserve to die, but she was hardly innocent.