Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    If you think panhandlers are a problem in Detroit, try visiting...any other city. Oy.
    Yeah, I was in Seattle last week and felt significantly more uncomfortable there than in Detroit. I know part of it is that I'm used to Detroit and know what to expect, but the sheer quantity of homeless, drifters, addicts, or..."odd"...people was honestly ten times what you see in Detroit.

I've been to Seattle a couple other times and never recall it being that bad [[I happen to love that region). It was sketch enough at 7 PM on a Friday for us to opt to leave before it got mildly dark and find a different spot to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkadinkado View Post
    Been there for a few years, too. Once more the Motor City is a step behind the Vehicle City.
    Aren't you giving Flint too much credit? Isn't Channel 5 in the Tri-Cities?? So any Kudo's should be diverted to them... not Flint...

During the riots in 1967, I worked for Channel 4 - they had cameras on the roof of their bldg, you could see smoke, channel 7 had Barney Morris and Ken Thomas - Channel 7 - they were right there. Best coverage of the riots. Best news coverage. I'm happy they are going to be right down town. I think it's the best idea ever.

Well, this is only semi-related but I'm watching WJBK and I just noticed that their Sky Cam was not in Southfield, instead, I noticed the Riverfront Towers in the bottom of the shot and the Ambassador Bridge in the background. Maybe this may have been the influence?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Well, this is only semi-related but I'm watching WJBK and I just noticed that their Sky Cam was not in Southfield, instead, I noticed the Riverfront Towers in the bottom of the shot and the Ambassador Bridge in the background. Maybe this may have been the influence?
    It's funny, the day this was originally announced by WXYZ, I noticed WDIV's newscast had a reporter on the roof of their building for a lead in segment or whatever. I wondered if it was the influence there as well.

So out of the three major Detroit networks, WXYZ is the oldest correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    So out of the three major Detroit networks, WXYZ is the oldest correct?
    WDIV is actually older.

History of Michigan AM Broadcasting
    The Scripps family founded the Detroit station 8MK, later WWJ, which claims that on Aug. 20, 1920 it 'became the first radio station in the world to broadcast regularly scheduled programs.' According to this claim the first broadcast began at 8:15 p.m. from the second floor of The Detroit News Building with the words 'This is 8MK calling,' followed by the playing of two phonograph records, 'Annie Laurie' and 'Roses of Picardy,' a query by an announcer to unseen listeners, 'How do you get it?,' and the playing of 'Taps'. The broadcast is thought to have been received in some 30 Detroit homes. The station, then licensed to the Detroit Evening News, says it has been on the air continuously ever since....

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Yeah, I was in Seattle last week and felt significantly more uncomfortable there than in Detroit. I know part of it is that I'm used to Detroit and know what to expect, but the sheer quantity of homeless, drifters, addicts, or..."odd"...people was honestly ten times what you see in Detroit.

I've been to Seattle a couple other times and never recall it being that bad [[I happen to love that region). It was sketch enough at 7 PM on a Friday for us to opt to leave before it got mildly dark and find a different spot to eat.
    Yeah. What we think of here in Detroit when one talks about panhandling barely registers on my radar. Dude asks me for change. Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't. Then they leave me alone.

It's the San Fran style panhandling that really needs to stop. People get totally aggressive and then really pissed when you say no. That was a problem here awhile back, but I haven't seen it in some time.

History of Michigan TV Broadcasting
    10/23/1946: WWDT Channel 4 Detroit broadcasts demonstration programming, becoming the first Michigan television station to take to the air. This date is not often cited as the start of channel 4 as it was a one-day only demonstration and regular programming did not begin until March 1947.

That's funny, I had the same experience in Seattle last year. We were so creeped out, we aborted our search for a place for dinner and just got Subway and took it back to the hotel.

Am I the only person who read the subject of this thread and got all excited about the prospect of a street-side glassblowing studio in downtown Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by 220hendrie1910 View Post
    Am I the only person who read the subject of this thread and got all excited about the prospect of a street-side glassblowing studio in downtown Detroit?
    Thank God, I thought it was just me.

The panhandler problem has diminished significantly...The Rock Security vehicles and camera system and control center have done a good job. Also doesn't hurt that the bus hub has relocated to "Times Square". The panhandlers fanned out from the bus area hitting the pedestrians on Woodward first. They stayed away from Renaissance Center due to the same enhanced security that "Gilbertville" now enjoys.

Out of all the cities I've visited, Seattle is by far the worst for panhandlers; still a great city though. They actually had a free bus zone up until 2012.

To all of those on this thread claiming to have had this idea first, Channel 56/Detroit Public Televistion had you all beat a decade ago. Facing the imminent switchover to digital, they began scoping out new locations that could handle the increased technology better than their old [[and former WJBK/Channel 2) studios in the New Center. One location considered was the Monroe block directly on Campus Martius and across from Compuware. But when the Riley Broadcast Center was dropped in their lap, they bolted for the 'burbs.

It's certainly a good PR move to have a more visible presence in the region's principle city. WXYZ/Action News will be closer to where a lot of the cultural and recent business news orginates.

WDIV/Local 4 will still be perceived as having a greater connection to the core city with its broadcast studios and main operations in the city and licensing for special events coverage such as the fireworks and America's Thanksgiving Parade.

Ever since Local 4 broadcasted from Campus Martius leading up to and for Super Bowl XL, I have thought of the park and district as an attractive and viable location for a satellite studio.

Image courtesy of Jason Rzucidlo, AMERICAJR.com

While it would have been nice if WJBK/Fox 2 and WXYZ/Action News did not leave city limits, it would not be feasible for them to move their broadcast houses into the city. They're current facilities are up-to-date with modern technology and sit on relatively expansive land. Additionally, Southfield is geographically closer to the region's population center, which is why even WDIV's broadcast/transmitter tower is located in Southfield.
    Last edited by youngdetroiter; September-10-14 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Yeah. What we think of here in Detroit when one talks about panhandling barely registers on my radar. Dude asks me for change. Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't. Then they leave me alone.

It's the San Fran style panhandling that really needs to stop. People get totally aggressive and then really pissed when you say no. That was a problem here awhile back, but I haven't seen it in some time.
    But to limit their freedom to aggressively harass you for money, piss and crap all over the place, and fuck in the open for drugs is to kill America.....or something, you'll have to ask the ACLU that continually goes to bat to keep anti panhandling and vagrancy laws from having any teeth whatsoever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3