Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ccbatson Guest

Let me rephrase the question...would you be surprised if someone dressed to appear as a homeless person was treated like a homeless person? Or better yet, if he were treated differently than a person appearing to be well healed? Now put it into a proper context, like one of these 2 on a street corner alone with you at midnight in an area of town known to be associated with high rates of crime?

Not so straight forward anymore, is it?

Sorry I changed the subject. I thought I had kept it on race, something which Stephen Colbert and I can't see. When I brought up Diallo and what happened to him. I must have, in Cc's mind, changed the subject from race to homelessness.

I assume that the interpreter of all things Randian brought up homelessness in his/her example of how the police should judge a book by looking at its cover. One implication of his/her analysis of how homeless should be treated differently than the "well healed" [[I always thought it was "well heeled" referring to shoe wear) is that Diallo got what he deserved.

Wow, maybe DY's most prolific poster wants to bring back "Stop the Robberies; Enjoy Safe Streets" I just don't think most politicians or police forces in the metro area want to revert to tactics that were used 40 years ago.

Police have chosen to take on an important, challenging and dangerous form of public service. I believe that the police are trained to be aware of the personal prejudices they bring to the job so that they may enforce the law in ways that don't reflect biases based on race [[and gender?).

The success of their training, judged by results, is less than perfect. Ergo, the modern day racial profiling that has been documented over and over. Again the power that accompanies the discretionary power to detain, arrest, and more ...in the best of all worlds, should be applied as the statue of justice implies.

Thank goodness we have come as far as we have in the last 40 years. There's still room for progress.

But all of it is consistent with my belief in Social Darwinism...the best thing you can do to increase the odds that you will live a good life is to choose your parents well.

ccbatson Guest

You didn't bring it up, I did, as an example [[and not a critical one...in other words, I could have said "dressed like a gangstar rapper", or any number of other stereotypes one associates with higher incidence of crimes committed).

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Let me rephrase the question...would you be surprised if someone dressed to appear as a homeless person was treated like a homeless person?
    I thought you treat everyone the same?

ccbatson Guest

Did I say that I didn't? I posed a fictitious question to stimulate thought.

Professor Gates said he might pull some strings and help any Sgt. Crowley progeny to get into Harvard. Nepotism? Would that qualify as diffusing the situation?

Hey it’s only nepotism if they really are related, right? How deep do those Irish roots go?

Let me say, as a Social Darwinist, I am a big fan of legacy enrollments in elite schools. It helps the not so bright get into schools that would otherwise spurn them. And it’s a wonderful opportunity that is directly tied to choosing your parents well.

Meeting and socializing with the “right people” whether those bonds are initiated at boarding school, exclusive clubs, or certain elite colleges is always a BONUS. It builds important “social capital.” If you “summer” or “winter” with the right crowd, wonderful things can happen to you and to your progeny...assuming you don't marry below your station in life.

Gates and Obama are obviously the exceptions to the rule. But by the mere fact that they can rise to the prominence they did, shows that anyone can rise in this country. Ergo there is no need to put any more $ in to improving schools, or affirmative action scholarships or anything else for those who didn't choose their parents well. The playing field is as flat as it needs to be. Is there an advantage going to the “best” schools and being members of the “best” clubs? UNDOUBTABLY!! But not an unfair advantage, because if one can make it [[even as the exception to the rule), anyone can.

So choose your parents well, and you can get all the social capital needed to get inside lines on lucrative opportunities for investing, tremendous job opportunities, and the right spouse. I just love those cute little do-gooders who join the Junior League, don’t you?

I hope Crowley is smart enough to exploit this unexpected opportunity and his notoriety to advantage himself and his family. If he doesn’t, it will clearly be his fault…just like it is the fault of every other disadvantaged and working class person who doesn't work hard to game the system and become rich and powerful.

ccbatson Guest

Hypocritical Omaha...a true individualist opposes all discrimination [[positive and negative), not just one type over another.

Can anyone respond well to Omaha's posts? Why not? I think someone may have earnestly tried recently - and humorously failed.

There are a few interesting counter arguments out there that could refute certain of Omaha's comments, and Omaha has slipped on occasion.

To those who disagree with any of Omaha's assertions, are you playing possum? Stumped? If intimidated, use that energy here on DYes by responding well. It is your right [[and even your responsibility) to stand up for your ideas. They are yours after all.

ccbatson Guest

He plays a sarcastic position to try and avoid being direct...the way to handle that style of debate is to interpret the position in direct terms and then refute them...works like a charm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2