Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I know, all that you say is true. Impulse folly for sure! Like buying a $1.89 small bottle of Coke pop at Autozone while getting your windshield wiper fluid. Just not a good idea.......

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ye-ah! I saw you over there wearing your shades trying to be all incognito ......!
    I like that $ Tree, and use that Staples like my own personal office. I hope they leave it open. That strip mall seems to be doing fine.

Staples and Office Depot do a significant amount of wholesale and distribution business direct to offices. Staples build that distribution center at Southfield & M-10 maybe 10 years ago specifically to direct-deliver to office buildings.

The stores are quickly becoming obsolete along with the move with everything becoming digital/on-line/electronic based documents. The stores primarily service residential customers, small businesses, home businesses, etc.

They don't even do a good job with their "holiday rush". My wife and I live right by an Office Depot and walked over there the other evening to pick-up some mailing supplies [[she runs her own business). Completely forgot that it was back-to-school season, and every parent and kid from the area was in their buying stuff. They had ONE cashier open at 8pm and there about 25 people in line. We walked out of there since it was a waste of time to wait around.

Office Depot and Office Max recently merged. Their Sunday ad is now cobranded. Surprised they haven't started culling stores... yet.

Staples owns the online office supply site quill.com. I have purchased many things from quill because their prices are excellent and the items arrive very quickly.

There is a lot of usage of Staples in the printing of advertising flyers and church bulletins.

That Great Guy Guest

I think a 0.1 property tax would work to reinvigorate the economy. This would help avoid store closings and prevent layoffs.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; September-02-14 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    I think a 0.1 property tax would work to reinvigorate the economy. This would help avoid store closings and prevent layoffs.
    Why don't you challenge Staples to a debate?

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why don't you challenge Staples to a debate?
    No need to. I'm the CEO of the NEW Regional Retail Authority RRA. This tax will raise $10 Million per year. Enough to pay ME a salary of $225k per year plus benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    No need to. I'm the CEO of the NEW Regional Retail Authority RRA. This tax will raise $10 Million per year. Enough to pay ME a salary of $225k per year plus benefits.
    Need an assistant? I can make coffee and type 25 words per minute. [[on a good day)

The manager at that Staples on Jefferson is great! I was having an issue with my rewards card ink toner cartridge recycling credit and she got it all straight for me where online was somewhat useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I like that $ Tree, and use that Staples like my own personal office. I hope they leave it open. That strip mall seems to be doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The manager at that Staples on Jefferson is great! I was having an issue with my rewards card ink toner cartridge recycling credit and she got it all straight for me where online was somewhat useless.
    I don't know who the female manager is, but I think the general manager is a guy, and I am always disappointed in how the store is run. One day I basically heard him calling an older man a liar over some merchandise dispute. Another day, I wanted to buy an office chair there, but price tags and information tags were non-existent. The other day I was talking to a clerk, and he interrupted our conversation to ask her something that seemed like it could wait. I ended up buying my chair on staples.com and it was delivered the next day for free. Very little incentive to buy at the store with service like that.

I read in the local paper business section today that Staples is closing a bunch of stores and Office Depot/Office Max is closing twice as many. The paper also sad that rumor on the street was that Staples might put in a bid for Office Depot for a grand merger.

Perhaps I've been fortunate. This seeming manager type woman helped me on too occasions. Though part of the reason she needed to help me in one instances is because she was training some younger new cashiers. The furniture department seemed horrible. Nothing marked. I would not purchase their office furniture. Low inventory and nothing priced as you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I don't know who the female manager is, but I think the general manager is a guy, and I am always disappointed in how the store is run...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2